Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm immunosuppressed, with other risk factors also. Your chance of dying from this when you get it might be 2% (which is still a lot - how many people do you know?), but mine isn't. So yes, right now I'm using alcohol (not disinfectant, which usually refers to antibacterial products) on my hands (and phone and wheelchair joystick) when I'm out and have touched surfaces a bunch of other people have touched; I'm making anyone who enters my house wash their hands as they arrive; and I'm watching carefully, without panic, to consider a period of self-isolation near/at the peak.

This isn't a mental illness, or germaphobia, or panic, and nor am I using statements in the news media as my information source. It's sensible precautions.

There are public figures out there right now trying to prove a point that they're "not scared" by shaking zillions of hands, because they pigheadedly refuse to change their actions to fit the circumstances. That's just irresponsible.
Increasing your social interactions during an outbreak is irresponsible and stupid, of course. I haven't said, nor do I think, otherwise. It's not the time for partying or traveling. Also I said that ordinary washing should be sufficient for people with normal immune systems. You and other people with compromised immunity are obviously special cases. But given the reports about empty shelves, generally healthy people must be buying sanitizers and disinfectants (some of the latter destroy viruses too) in massive amounts. And that's pure mass hysteria, considering that the coronavirus spreads mostly from person to person, with droplets, through air.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post

What makes me sad at the moment, seeing Niño our oldest cat (15) fade away, he lost 3kg (40% of his body mass) over the last two and a half years. We have been to the vet with him, (again) who did a full blood-work, all is well, no kidney, liver, or other failure, so it must be just old age,
He eats, drinks and does all other usual stuff (mostly sleeping, but that's his thing for the last 10 years).
All that clearly is less, is his movement (just like me) it is clearly less fluid as it used to be, less steady, even a touch uncertain (I surely can recognize that part). He also gets lots of grey hears peeking through his furcoat on his face.
I get weak in the knees when i think about how close his goodbye must be, as he is one of my favorites, and our most cuddly cat of the bunch.

I feel at a loss over how to help him, we have started placing stuff around so he can get more easily on and off furniture, as jumping seems to be hard and painfull.
We could give him stuff for his joint problems, but we lost a cat doing this, her kidneys collapsed (a risk with those meds), so yes, i am sad.
Very sorry to read abour your cat. Did you do an X-ray? Ultrasound? It might be a tumor, or a digestive disorder. Bloodwork alone is not always enough.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #63
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post

Back on Topic:

What makes me sad at the moment, seeing Niño our oldest cat (15) fade away, he lost 3kg (40% of his body mass) over the last two and a half years. We have been to the vet with him, (again) who did a full blood-work, all is well, no kidney, liver, or other failure, so it must be just old age,
He eats, drinks and does all other usual stuff (mostly sleeping, but that's his thing for the last 10 years).
All that clearly is less, is his movement (just like me) it is clearly less fluid as it used to be, less steady, even a touch uncertain (I surely can recognize that part). He also gets lots of grey hears peeking through his furcoat on his face.
I get weak in the knees when i think about how close his goodbye must be, as he is one of my favorites, and our most cuddly cat of the bunch.

I feel at a loss over how to help him, we have started placing stuff around so he can get more easily on and off furniture, as jumping seems to be hard and painfull.
We could give him stuff for his joint problems, but we lost a cat doing this, her kidneys collapsed (a risk with those meds), so yes, i am sad.
Sorry to hear this. I hope things get a bit easier for Niño.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:04 AM   #64
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Very sorry to read abour your cat. Did you do an X-ray? Ultrasound? It might be a tumor, or a digestive disorder. Bloodwork alone is not always enough.
Our vet says if it would be a tumor this would be visible, or when not, simply un treatable, as putting a cat his age under is a death sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Sorry to hear this. I hope things get a bit easier for Niño.
We try to make his life easier, that he is a lazy bum who likes to sleep 23,5 hours out of 24 is a good thing.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #65
Blackmagic
Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Blackmagic can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Being unable to take the kids out. They are really depressed at home.
Blackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:57 AM   #66
dawsonthrilled
dawsonthrilled began at the beginning.

Device: none
Missin' yesterday when everything was normal.
dawsonthrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #67
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
More like mad than sad

Lost my weekly appointments with my exercise physiotherapist because she works from a commercial gym. I'm anticipating that I'll lose my next appointments with my podiatrist because her clinic adjoins her orthotics factory which maybe forced to close.

FWIW - both services are prescribed by my GP, the national health service pays 70% of their fees, because they help keep me out of hospital. Last year I spent 5 days in an ICU. I bet you can join the dots....

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #68
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I have an upcoming appointment with my Chiropodist, a regular thing that helps keep my aged feet in good fettle. I will have to ring a couple of days prior and check if the appointment still stands, given the isolation period we are all living through. The P.M. of the UK said medical visits were permitted, but does this count as 'medical'? I know herbalists and aromatherapists are classed as 'fringe medicine' by the medical profession, but are chiropodists classed as actual medical practitioners (of a kind?) or not. I will have to check!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote