Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
CraftyClown
Enthusiast
CraftyClown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do I get the content server to import new titles?

Soooooo I realise this is probably a daft question, but I'm struggling to work out to get Calibre content server to import new content.

I have the server installed on a remote headless box and everything is working perfectly. I'm able to access and download books on my jailbroken Kindle PW4 using KOReader.

The only bit I can't work out is how to set calibre to scan a book directory for new content. I can't find any relevant documentation.

Sorry, I know I'm probably being an idiot and missing something obvious, but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be massively grateful.

Cheers
CraftyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Just to add, I think it's the calibredb add command I should be using, but I'm not quite sure how to implement it
Advert
Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post
Just to add, I think it's the calibredb add command I should be using, but I'm not quite sure how to implement it
My best suggestion is to use a a VNC, open the GUI on the calibre server then preferences-add books-automatic adding.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-06-17 11-36-16.png
Views:	302
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	171957  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
My best suggestion is to use a a VNC, open the GUI on the calibre server then preferences-add books-automatic adding.

bernie
I'm not sure how easy that would be with the way I have the security set on my server, but I will take a look at it.

I did find a guide online that helped me add something to crontab, however I'm not quite sure I've set it up properly as it doesn't seem to have worked so far

*/10 * * * * xvfb-run calibredb add /home/craftyclown/Calibre/New/Sonya -r --with-library /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya && rm /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya

To be fair the guide was 5 years out of date
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Does the Auto-add folder work on a headless?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does the Auto-add folder work on a headless?
How would I access the auto-add folder?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

So I think I'm making baby steps forwards, but I'm still not quite there.

I've now added --enable-local-write to my Calibre-server.service file and I've also removed xvfb-run from my crontab

So what I have right now is:

Quote:
[Unit]
Description=calibre content server
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=craftyclown
Group=craftyclown
ExecStart=/opt/calibre/calibre-server --port=8082 --enable-local-write /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Rich /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Kate /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Mum

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Quote:
*/10 * * * * calibredb add /home/craftyclown/Calibre/New/Sonya -r --with-library /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya && rm /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya
any obvious mistakes people can see?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

and we're almost there

So it appears I need to use the full address of the content server for --with-library (not exactly sure why as the process is occurring locally)

*/10 * * * * calibredb add /home/craftyclown/Calibre/New/Sonya -r --with-library http://richflix1.ddns.net:8882/#Sonya

Not quite sure how to delete the books from the download folder after they've been ingested into the library though.

I still feel like I'm missing a trick here. Suggestions?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post
How would I access the auto-add folder?
FTP?
You drop the new book into the auto-add folder. Calibre polls for content and moves (really an Add the Delete) to the Library.

Note: My experience is desktop Calibre, but if yoy are running calibre (as opposed to just the calibre-server.exe) this should work. All you need to do is set up a dedicated (empty) folder and configure Preferences:adding books: Automatic adding(a tab) (I just read the nex msg
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Write a two line script that calls calibredb and then deletes the files and put that in your crontab.

Altough I dont quite understand why you want to do this whole rigamarole? Why not just add books directly through the server's web interface?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FTP?
You drop the new book into the auto-add folder. Calibre polls for content and moves (really an Add the Delete) to the Library.

Note: My experience is desktop Calibre, but if yoy are running calibre (as opposed to just the calibre-server.exe) this should work. All you need to do is set up a dedicated (empty) folder and configure Preferences:adding books: Automatic adding(a tab) (I just read the nex msg
It's a remote headless Linux server so my only option is the dedicated Calibre content server software as I have no GUI other than the Web UI, hence the scripts I've been running. Long story short, I don't believe the auto-add folder is an option for me. More than happy to be proven wrong though
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Write a two line script that calls calibredb and then deletes the files and put that in your crontab.

Altough I dont quite understand why you want to do this whole rigamarole? Why not just add books directly through the server's web interface?
The webUI only allows me to add books locally, however the books are on the same server as Calibre.

Besides, I want to try and make this as automated as possible, the target being a system of synchronised folders on any device where I can drop books for any of the various libraries I have (multiple family members)

There is one thing I'm still confused about. Is there a way to get the --with-library command on calibredb add to access local drives? It only seems to work for me using the full server address.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to use the webUI. Setup user accounts and give one account write access, then you can use calibredb to add books to the server from anywhere.

Am not sure what you mean by get --with-library to access local drives? If you want to operate ona library that is being served via content server, the only way to do it is via the server URL. calibredb and calibre-server cannot both run on the same library at the same time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote