Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
FYI - If you have an eInk Kindle device and use the "download & transfer via USB" method, since you're bypassing the Kindle for Mac app in this situation, Alf's tool & Calibre work fine.
That's a major pain to use when downloading a big batch after a spending spree. It also uses low quality images in comics. The Kindle for desktop apps download the highest quality images available (albeit a bit of pain to combine with separate azw3+azw6 files).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #17
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Mac mini 2020, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
Got my M1 Mac mini (16GB Ram, 1TB SSD) Nov 25 and Calibre works fine. I haven't found anything that doesn't work properly. Performance is fine--maybe just slightly better than my 2018 Mac mini with core-i7, 512GB SSD and 64GB ram.

For benchmarking, I converted Follett's Fall of Giants to kfx and compared the performance to that of the 2018 Mac mini:

kfx conversion 2018 Mac mini: 107 seconds
kfx conversion 2020 M1 Mac mini: 100 seconds

I use a number of plugins, not problems. I also have my own Python programs that access the calibre database remotely to grab information using calibredb and it all works perfectly.

Given the massive change to the hardware on the M1 devices, Apple has been very successful making almost everything compatible without compromising performance.
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The main thing I would suspect of having issues is the Viewer or the preview panel in the editor, as they use a web browser under the hood, which in turn uses a Just in Time compiler for javascript, these tend to be the hardest things to run via emulation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote