Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Wrong author sort for brother authors

Hi there,

Apparently, in Calibre 3.45.2, using the default author sort (no preference or tweaks modified) when there are multiple authors sharing the same surname (e.g. brother authors), the author sort is wrong.
For example:
Arkadi & Boris Strugatki -> Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris

Expected: Strugatki, Arkadi & Boris
or maybe: Strugatki, Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris

Does anyone know a workaround? Thanks!

P.S. - could this tweak be used?
# Splitting multiple author names
authors_split_regex = u'(?i),?\\s+(and|with)\\s+'
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can correct the default author_sort value by changing "Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris" to "Strugatki, Boris and Arkadi" in Manage Authors. I'm not sure if "B... & A..." would work, try it for yourself.

You can access Manage Authors via right click on Author name in Book Details (right sidebar).

Another instance where one needs to correct author_sort is non hyphenated double barrelled names - e.g. Brigitta Garcia Lopez will default to Lopez, Brigitta Garcia which needs to be corrected to Garcia Lopez, Brigitta.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Connoisseur
Bookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Why not fill out an author name, completely, for both of them?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Right. It never would have occurred to me that I could leave off the 2nd one's surname and that Calibre should figure out that they're brothers or whatever and have the same surname. There are authors whose name is one word, e.g. Saki.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Since Calibre treats & as a separator between author names it is not surprising that the OP had problems. If ‘and’ was used instead of ‘&’ then the expected result is obtained.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I think it is the ampersand between the two first names that mess it up. It is interpreted as a separator between two full names. Try:

Arkadi Boris Strugatski

Or

Arkadi and Boris Strugatski (I don't know if calibre treats "and" as "&" in the authors field.)
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
Hi there,

Apparently, in Calibre 3.45.2, using the default author sort (no preference or tweaks modified) when there are multiple authors sharing the same surname (e.g. brother authors), the author sort is wrong.
For example:
Arkadi & Boris Strugatki -> Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris

Expected: Strugatki, Arkadi & Boris
or maybe: Strugatki, Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris

Does anyone know a workaround? Thanks!

P.S. - could this tweak be used?
# Splitting multiple author names
authors_split_regex = u'(?i),?\\s+(and|with)\\s+'

As others have said '&' is the author separator in the author field, so "Arkadi & Boris Strugatki" is interpreted as two authors, "Arkadi" and "Boris Strugatki".

If the authors ALWAYS write together, you could use "Arkadi and Boris Strugatki" which would sort as "Strugatki, Arkadi and Boris".

But I'd recommend just using "Arkadi Strugatki & Boris Strugatki".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your replies. Father and son, husband/wife or brothers writing duos are not that rare. Anyway, for those who never heard of A&B Strugatsky, they are the authors of Stalker/Roadside Picnic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkady...ris_Strugatsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can correct the default author_sort value by changing "Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris" to "Strugatki, Boris and Arkadi" in Manage Authors.
Thank you but having to manually do this I feel somehow it defeats the reason Calibre was created in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge
That works, indeed, but that would be really unusual - writing duos sharing a surname are not usually written with both surnames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby
Arkadi and Boris Strugatski (I don't know if calibre treats "and" as "&" in the authors field.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi
If ‘and’ was used instead of ‘&’ then the expected result is obtained.
"And" does not work because Calibre automatically corrects it to "&". Also, using "and" would mean the author field is no longer language-agnostic - in a multilingual collection one would have different author entries for different languages (e.g. "und", "et") ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
If the authors ALWAYS write together, you could use "Arkadi and Boris Strugatki" which would sort as "Strugatki, Arkadi and Boris".
They always write together but "and", as I said, gets changed automatically to "&" and the results is Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris.
I see this rename also mentioned here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=182678
I'd hate using full names so I guess I will have to disregard the author sort field completely.

Last edited by rebl; 07-19-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd hate using full names so I guess I will have to disregard the author sort field completely.
Computers are basically stupid and for the programmers to create the heuristics to do what you want is often tricky and rarely perfect. For example, I wrote some software that displayed people's names that it pulled from a database where the names were stored in all caps. I found some code that normalized the names and in the process of translating it to the language I was using learned a lot about names; e.g. with Rip Van Winkle the Van means "of" or "son of", sort of like Johnson, Peterson, etc. and the historically proper way to format it is lower case, Rip van Winkle. But then we had some names in the database that were Vietnamese and Van is surname there so it screwed up with that.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #10
rebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
...Rip van Winkle. But then we had some names in the database that were Vietnamese and Van is surname there so it screwed up with that.
Exception handling
Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I always have though that consistent writing pairs should use a regular pen name for their joint works. I particularly like the one that Earl Binder and his brother Otto Binder used, Eando Binder (as in "E and O").
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I always have though that consistent writing pairs should use a regular pen name for their joint works. I particularly like the one that Earl Binder and his brother Otto Binder used, Eando Binder (as in "E and O").
That made me laugh. So now you get to hear about some names that parents saddled their kids with; Normal Lear, a producer of TV shows named his daughter Chanda (chandelier), a coworker whose last name was Blank, named his son Drew Arthur (Drew A. Blank). Names have always fascinated me because my stupid father gave me a nickname for my legal first name and I'm forever telling people, yes, that's my real name.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Bookstooge
Connoisseur
Bookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trollsBookstooge doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
That works, indeed, but that would be really unusual - writing duos sharing a surname are not usually written with both surnames.'
Only on a book cover. If you were to walk into a bookstore, their database would have an entry for both Arkadi Strugakti AND Boris Strugakti.

And since calibre is a database, well...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can correct the default author_sort value by changing "Arkadi & Strugatki, Boris" to "Strugatki, Boris and Arkadi" in Manage Authors. I'm not sure if "B... & A..." would work, try it for yourself.
Quote:
Thank you but having to manually do this I feel somehow it defeats the reason Calibre was created in the first place.
AFAIK : The ability to override author_sort in Manage Authors is provided for the express purpose of dealing with corner cases such as yours, un-hyphenated double barrelled surnames, East Asian names etc etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-19-2019 at 06:42 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
rebl

Thanks all, so I guess storing full names should be the way to go.