Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's the first one. Fortunately searching is very fast on newer Kindles.

I imagine if I had that many books on a Kobo, finding a new book to read would not be much faster. Either I'd have hundred collections or hundred books in a collection. I'd still have to flip pages, select books one by one to read the synopsis, etc. Or perhaps I'm wrong?
If I know what I want to read, then I use the search. If I don't know, I just flip through the list until something catches my eye. Then I look at the synopsis and see if that is what I want to read and either open it from there or return and keep looking. After looking at a few, I usually either find something, or it triggers what I do want to read. I do use some collections and filtering or sorting to help me.

With that method, I don't need a separate catalogue as the device shows the info for me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #47
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I know what I want to read, then I use the search. If I don't know, I just flip through the list until something catches my eye. Then I look at the synopsis and see if that is what I want to read and either open it from there or return and keep looking. After looking at a few, I usually either find something, or it triggers what I do want to read. I do use some collections and filtering or sorting to help me.

With that method, I don't need a separate catalogue as the device shows the info for me.
Thanks for the info. It's not so very different from a Kindle, then. Except I have to do a separate search for the book I've decided to read, but I have to do it only once, after browsing my catalog, so it's not all that onerous.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #48
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The catalog can be handy because you can make one for books that are part of a series so that you start at the first one in a series. (Alternatively you could change the book's name to include the series information.) I haven't done this but I think you can also make a catalog that has them grouped by tags or genres.

It would definitely be nice if they were links but it's merely an ebook. Besides which, do e-readers support links to other books?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #49
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I think you can also make a catalog that has them grouped by tags or genres.
Yes. You can put the groupings by Author, Title, Series and Tags/Genres all in one catalog. Very handy.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #50
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
The catalog can be handy because you can make one for books that are part of a series so that you start at the first one in a series. (Alternatively you could change the book's name to include the series information.) I haven't done this but I think you can also make a catalog that has them grouped by tags or genres.
Why would you need an extra catalog on a Kobo to pull together all books in a series? Surely the Series field in the main GUI booklist does a good job of displaying this info - and it's a searchable field. Also I can't see why you'd need to change a book's name to include the series, for the same reason

Quote:
Besides which, do e-readers support links to other books?
I don't think so. I haven't seen an eink device or an Android ereading app which can do that.

@Sirtel,
When it comes to viewing a book's synopsis I do think a Kobo may have an advantage over a Kindle. On a Kobo you do not need to actually open a book to see its synopsis - which probably means it's a bit faster. This also has the added benefit of not affecting the list of 'recently opened' books in the GUI.

Having said this I'm pretty sure no eink device comes close to the abilities of the Calibre Companion app when it comes to ease/speed of swiping from one book's synopsis to the next when hunting your next read.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #51
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

@Sirtel,
When it comes to viewing a book's synopsis I do think a Kobo may have an advantage over a Kindle. On a Kobo you do not need to actually open a book to see its synopsis - which probably means it's a bit faster. This also has the added benefit of not affecting the list of 'recently opened' books in the GUI.

Having said this I'm pretty sure no eink device comes close to the abilities of the Calibre Companion app when it comes to ease/speed of swiping from one book's synopsis to the next when hunting your next read.
Yes, I know that. For synopsises I also use the catalog. You can click through synopsises there just like in the CC. Viewing them on a device while looking for the next read takes too much time.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #52
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Why would you need an extra catalog on a Kobo to pull together all books in a series? Surely the Series field in the main GUI booklist does a good job of displaying this info - and it's a searchable field. Also I can't see why you'd need to change a book's name to include the series, for the same reason.
Yes, on the Kobo Calibre's catalogs aren't very helpful, I was responding to the general question of their utility, especially on the Kindle or other e-readers that aren't as functional as the Kobo. I'm always perplexed when people say that the Kindle is just as functional as the Kobo; that's always an eye-roll moment for me.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #53
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Yes, on the Kobo Calibre's catalogs aren't very helpful, I was responding to the general question of their utility, especially on the Kindle or other e-readers that aren't as functional as the Kobo. I'm always perplexed when people say that the Kindle is just as functional as the Kobo; that's always an eye-roll moment for me.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #54
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, H2o2, Clara, Forma
I have frequently updated catalogs on my readers:
* the complete one, with lists by authors, series, tags, recently added, and a prefix on the title line that says whether the book is in the archive (which information isn't available on the devices otherwise), or on the Forma only etc.
* a detailed catalog for a couple of subsections of my books with synopsis too - a complete catalog would be too heavy to compile since I have 10000+ items of which 4000+ are on the Forma.

I find that with as many books as I have, catalogs are very useful.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #55
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheeseheyman can extract oil from cheese

Device: sony
tried koreader? do it man!!
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #56
homesikalien
homesikalien began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Clara HD, Sony DPT-RP1
For those that have the light bleed issue, you're in for a treat... Just go on the official Kobo site and chat online with customer service about it. Once they've determined that your device is probably from a bad batch by asking you to perform a reset, they will issue you a new one WITHOUT having to send the old one back. I gave my old Clara to my nine year old daughter who wouldn't know or even care about any light bleed.
homesikalien is offline   Reply With Quote