Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
WillW
Connoisseur
WillW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Yes I saw the fix method on Youtube. I'd be willing to do it on an older or secondhand Clara, but on a brand new one, well, really, why should I.
Meanwhile I've stopped running round the ereader rabbit hole like a madman, and settled back on trying the H20 as soon as I can get one, and hopeful it'll be a good one. An occasional few minor glitches are forgive-able, but not plain shoddy workmanship.
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW View Post
Yes I saw the fix method on Youtube. I'd be willing to do it on an older or secondhand Clara, but on a brand new one, well, really, why should I.
You shouldn't have to. But, knowing that you can gives you more options.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #33
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Meanwhile I've stopped running round the ereader rabbit hole like a madman, and settled back on trying the H20 as soon as I can get one, and hopeful it'll be a good one. An occasional few minor glitches are forgive-able, but not plain shoddy workmanship.
i love my H2O While the kindle seems more polished.... i really love my kobo due to the mods and that it handle every epub i find

Calibre is a must tho so easy organization
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
For what it's worth, Kobo has some distinct advantages over Kindle, but most are related to patching.
I disagree with you there. With recent updates to the firmware (ability to remove header and footer from kepub), the only patches I apply are advanced font control for sideloaded fonts and adding ligatures and to be honest, I could get by without either of those. I never actually use the advanced font control. I only add it because I like to tinker.

If the patches went away, I think the Kobo experience out of the box is very good.

If anything, the Kobo experience is more tied to the Kobo Extended Calibre plug-in for sideloaded books. That enables series information in the catalog, using tags to create collections and automagically converts my ePub to kepub when sending to the device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #35
Claude_C
Connoisseur
Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If anything, the Kobo experience is more tied to the Kobo Extended Calibre plug-in for sideloaded books. That enables series information in the catalog, using tags to create collections and automagically converts my ePub to kepub when sending to the device.

Totally agree on that.

Way easier with Kobio.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #36
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Even without that plugin I think the Kobo UI is superior to the Kindle's. The Kindle sorts authors by their first name for crying out loud. I'd forgotten that and had gone through and changed all of the metadata so that their names were in Last Name, First Name format. Then when I got the Kobo I realized what a mess I'd made and put the names back the way they had been. The Kobo also groups the books together by author when you select Authors; you see the author's name and how many books by them, which you can then tap to see what books you have by them.

The Kindle is no doubt great if you only have a dozen books on it but if you load it with many books then it becomes difficult to navigate and manage them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 AM   #37
WillW
Connoisseur

"The Kobo also groups the books together by author when you select Authors; you see the author's name and how many books by them, which you can then tap to see what books you have by them."

Storing Kindle books in Collections on Kindle does the same - author's name and number of books, tap to access books. But yes, first names only are in alphabetical order. A bit bizarre.

I find much to like in the Kobo UI and design (particularly H20). Alas, my experience of build quality has been a real let down.

Last edited by WillW; 07-20-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #38
randyp1234
randyp1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
....in particular the ďGO TOĒ button, which takes you any page or chapter of your choice, or to the beginning or end of the book....
I'm starting research on a possible purchase. Can someone comment on this statement?

Thanks

Edit - never mind. After reading the user guide I had downloaded I see that this statement is not true.

Last edited by randyp1234; 07-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #39
WillW
Connoisseur

I assure you it is true regarding Kindle 2. Can't speak for other models

Edit - Obviously I'm referring to a virtual touchscreen button - not a literal raised physical lump on the device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	172491  

Last edited by WillW; 07-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #40
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
"The Kobo also groups the books together by author when you select Authors; you see the author's name and how many books by them, which you can then tap to see what books you have by them."

Storing Kindle books in Collections on Kindle does the same - author's name and number of books, tap to access books. But yes, first names only are in alphabetical order. A bit bizarre.

I find much to like in the Kobo UI and design (particularly H20). Alas, my experience of build quality has been a real let down.
But you have to use the Amazon web page or the Kindle UI to set up your Collections; ick! I don't do anything on the Kobo or in Calibre or anywhere else to make this grouping happen; it's automatic.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #41
Gibbo
Fanatic
Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gibbo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2 - Nvidia Shield K1 - Galaxy S8+
I would like a reader with warm light and thinking of getting a Kobo BUT not been able to sync sideloaded books is a big no-no plus I've read a lot of complaints about the firmware and the light cones and the green splashers, I might sell my 4 month old Kindle Oasis 2 and buy the new one.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #42
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Even without that plugin I think the Kobo UI is superior to the Kindle's. The Kindle sorts authors by their first name for crying out loud. I'd forgotten that and had gone through and changed all of the metadata so that their names were in Last Name, First Name format. Then when I got the Kobo I realized what a mess I'd made and put the names back the way they had been. The Kobo also groups the books together by author when you select Authors; you see the author's name and how many books by them, which you can then tap to see what books you have by them.

The Kindle is no doubt great if you only have a dozen books on it but if you load it with many books then it becomes difficult to navigate and manage them.
Well, everyone has different needs. I happily keep over a thousand books on each of my Kindles and have no complaints. I don't use collections, and tags on an ereader are not important for me. I sort and manage my library in Calibre, not on my Kindles. For navigating I keep a Calibre-generated catalog on the device and browse that whenever I'm not sure what to read next. Fast and easy. I intend to use the same method on my new Nook.

So I've never felt the need for advanced sorting capabilities of a Kobo. Of course, if Kobo comes out with an attractive enough hardware in the future, I'll probably buy it. I've nothing against Kobo in principle. They just have not released anything so far I've been really tempted to buy. Particularly since I can use custom fonts and and font weight and font sizes on Kindles too.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For navigating I keep a Calibre-generated catalog on the device and browse that whenever I'm not sure what to read next. Fast and easy.
I have seen reference to doing this on a Kindle before. But, how does it actually work? Is it just a catalogue your browse then search for the book in the using the Kindle UI? Or does it have links so that you can open the book from the catalogue? If it's the latter, I can sort of see doing it, but, for the former, I'll stick with Kobo's flexible listings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #44
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have seen reference to doing this on a Kindle before. But, how does it actually work? Is it just a catalogue your browse then search for the book in the using the Kindle UI? Or does it have links so that you can open the book from the catalogue? If it's the latter, I can sort of see doing it, but, for the former, I'll stick with Kobo's flexible listings.
It's the first one. Fortunately searching is very fast on newer Kindles.

I imagine if I had that many books on a Kobo, finding a new book to read would not be much faster. Either I'd have hundred collections or hundred books in a collection. I'd still have to flip pages, select books one by one to read the synopsis, etc. Or perhaps I'm wrong?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
I'm mostly navigating by Search on the Kobo, and it's pretty damn fast. Provided you know roughly what you're looking for. Which a Calibre catalog might help with, if you really need to do that on the go .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote