Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Also, if you have an e-ink Kindle, you don't even need to use Kindle for PC--you can just download directly from the "My content and devices" page on Amazon. Alf works perfectly doing that...it's the method I always use.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #17
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There is also the option to buy a cheap low-end used Kindle from Ebay or somewhere and register it to your Amazon account. Then you can use the USB download option, which is only available to those who own a physical Kindle device.
On the Amazon page Your Content and Devices I have it set to the cloud so that it doesn't send the book to my kindle. After I buy a book I use the three dots button and use the usb download option. Then I drag them from my downloads directory on my pc into calibre, then convert them to epub. It's a bit faster as well, although more work with the mouse, because sometimes it can take a while before they show up on the kindle, from which I would want to delete them because they still have the DRM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
rbpeirce
rbpeirce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Also, if you have an e-ink Kindle, you don't even need to use Kindle for PC--you can just download directly from the "My content and devices" page on Amazon. Alf works perfectly doing that...it's the method I always use.

Shari
Tell me more about this. My wife and I both have pre-paperwhite Kindles, although I have no idea if they are e-ink, because I don't know what that is. However, I went to "Your content and devices" and downloaded a book to my kindle. It came down as a kfx, whatever that is. I could load it into calibre from the Kindle but I couldn't do anything with it. Calibre didn't recognize the format. What do I need to do?

I have Alf's De DRM tools, which supposedly work on kfx files but I don't know what is happening when they get into calibre. Alf recommends downloading "for transfer via USB," but that option downloads an azw3 file that calibre can't process, so I don't know why he even mentions it.
rbpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpeirce View Post
Tell me more about this. My wife and I both have pre-paperwhite Kindles, although I have no idea if they are e-ink, because I don't know what that is. However, I went to "Your content and devices" and downloaded a book to my kindle. It came down as a kfx, whatever that is. I could load it into calibre from the Kindle but I couldn't do anything with it. Calibre didn't recognize the format. What do I need to do?

I have Alf's De DRM tools, which supposedly work on kfx files but I don't know what is happening when they get into calibre. Alf recommends downloading "for transfer via USB," but that option downloads an azw3 file that calibre can't process, so I don't know why he even mentions it.
You'll need to install jhowell's KFX Input plugin to add KFX support to Calibre.

In both cases above though, you still have to configure the DeDRM plugin for it to actually work. You'll need to go to Alf's blog for detailed configuration instructions for the DeDRM tools.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
Let's focus on the parts we can discuss here. All kindles , except for fire tablets, are e ink. But to get one that cannot accept kfx you have to go way back to easily generations.
Maybe all the way back to the ones with keyboards and no lights.
You are almost there if you have an azw file. Calibre is fine with unprotected azw files so your issue is probably with the tools. And thus you have to ask at the other place.
Even with no tools at all though, calibre should accept and store a file from Amazon. It just will not be able to open or edit it, but it should be able to send it to a Kindle device

Hopefully others will expand on this for you.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #21
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Tell me more about this. My wife and I both have pre-paperwhite Kindles, although I have no idea if they are e-ink, because I don't know what that is.
E-ink Kindles have black & white screens. If yours has a color screen then it is a Fire tablet and if so the DRM removal tools will not work with files downloaded for it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
rbpeirce
rbpeirce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had 1.17, 1.23 and 1.26 installed. I deleted 1.17 because 1.23 works fine for getting books into calibre. 1.26 won't do it. Unfortunately, 1.23 is 32bit and MacOS 10.15, I am told, will no longer run 32bit software. Therefore, think twice before upgrading MacOS.

I have a related problem in that my bootable backups are HFS+, I can't convert to APFS, and I am told, you will only be able to boot from an APFS device.

MacOS 10.15 isn't looking too good for us.
rbpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Even with no tools at all though, calibre should accept and store a file from Amazon. It just will not be able to open or edit it, but it should be able to send it to a Kindle device
Caveat, DRM protected files are device specific. Can't use the AZW3 file for Kindle4PC or Kindle A to send to Kindle B.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:

I'm not sure why your version of Calibre can't process an azw3 file...mine has no problem at all. If you are trying to use Alf's tools, be sure to read the instructions on setting them up in Calibre. If you need more help than this, you'll have to ask on Alf's site, as we're not supposed to get specific here.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote