Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #121
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orl2222 View Post
Well, I am going to return it. I tried out the Bluetooth on this for the B&N podcasts with my Sony Noise canceling headphones, couldn't raise the volume from being able to hear it.
Strikes me as a bug that might be fixed in a future firmware.

And for someone with no vested interest in actually getting this device, I'm sure active in threads about it.
binaryhermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #122
Renate
Enthusiast
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Nook Glow2, 3, 4
Quote:
Well, I am going to return it. I tried out the Bluetooth...
A friend tried out Bluetooth keyboards and couldn't get it working.
Has anyone else tried?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #123
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Initial BT note:

Quote:
Bluetooth doesn't seem to work, at least with a keyboard or remote (the remote I have is just an emulated keyboard I think). When I turn on the BT in the standard Nook settings screen, I get an icon spinning (which I assume means it's i pairing mode) but it doesn't seem to detect any devices... I guess I could take it out to my car and try to pair to my stereo - maybe the BT is only intended as an output device for speakers/headphones (because of the audiobook capability).

And an update:

I was able to pair the Nook to an audio device - in this case the stereo in my car. So that seems to confirm that the BT is meant for audio output.

I don't know enough about BT and Android to know if there is another secret setting somewhere that can be exposed to see if there is also input capability. It would be a shame if there wasn't some way to take advantage and have some sort of input capability (I'm thinking of Renate's remote page turner capability...)
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #124
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Well, I am going to return it. I tried out the Bluetooth on this for the B&N podcasts with my Sony Noise canceling headphones, couldn't raise the volume from being able to hear it. This is a dealer breaker for me, even my Amazon basic Kindle works fantastic with my headphones. I liked the reader screen, but the other dislike was the menu, and sub systems, can't enlarge the text for these settings.
Sounds like hitting against the Android soft volume limit. Android for a few years now has had a limit on how loud to set it (like 60%) to limit hearing loss, and normally you get a pop up wanting you to confirm if you want to ignore that and go above it. They may not have the popup anymore, but still not removed the limit entirely. Should be something fixable. I run into it from time to time, because some content I have is pretty quiet, and some of my headphones aren't that loud.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #125
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Can you use a Nook with sideloaded books without registering it?

I ask because they no longer sell to the UK and I assume that if I imported one somehow I wouldn't be able to register it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #126
Bookstooge
Connoisseur
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I just checked BN.com again. Now this shows, but it is "out of stock". Sigh...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #127
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I just checked BN.com again. Now this shows, but it is "out of stock". Sigh...
That probably explains the low-key roll out. Not enough units for a big push. I'm guessing you're not near a store that might have them in stock. Our Boise store still has them (at least it says they do on the website).

EDIT: Although I guess there's the other possibility, they sold better than B&N thought they would.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #128
Bookstooge
Connoisseur
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That probably explains the low-key roll out. Not enough units for a big push. I'm guessing you're not near a store that might have them in stock. Our Boise store still has them (at least it says they do on the website).

EDIT: Although I guess there's the other possibility, they sold better than B&N thought they would.
I live in a rural area, so I can't easily visit some week night. I'll have to see what this weekend holds.

I have a hard time believing your edit :-)
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #129
Renate
Enthusiast
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Nook Glow2, 3, 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Can you use a Nook with sideloaded books without registering it?
Yes, if you can just bypass the original startup screens.

(I'm old skool, I usually just pop the back and root it.)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #130
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, if you can just bypass the original startup screens.

(I'm old skool, I usually just pop the back and root it.)
Thanks - not sure if I will try to get one, but now it's at least a possibility
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #131
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, PaperWhite 4, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
I think I want one for the screen size. I've seen a comparison with an Oasis 2 with the same book same page on both. This new one shows almost double the text, maybe 1.9x or so, of the O2. I could easily be happy with turning pages half as often.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #132
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I live in a rural area, so I can't easily visit some week night. I'll have to see what this weekend holds.

I have a hard time believing your edit :-)
Yeah I know, I was just trying to cover all the bases. I'm guessing they were having teething problems and couldn't get out the number of devices they hoped they hoped they would. I'm also guessing (going by their ad, as pointed out by someone else here) that they originally wanted a Mother's Day release date.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #133
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Well that's not exactly true. When the Glowlight 3 was originally released, it had -- and showed -- only 1 GB available. Then with the first update they merged the partitions and it had -- and showed the 6.xx available.
Actually, they didn't merge the partitions, they flipped them. I appreciate they did it, but that's also when the glitches and bugs began. They'd have been better off not partitioning it in the first place.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 AM   #134
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
The only problem I had with the ST is the memory got full and I couldn’t remove anything except by archiving.
Why didn't you use the SD card slot?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #135
cgsmom
Zealot
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8, Kindle PW4, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why didn't you use the SD card slot?
It's full of Barnes & Noble books that downloaded automatically. I removed all my sideloaded books and put them on the SD card but I couldn't download anything I bought from BN.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote