Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I like both genres, too, but I like to keep the stories separate. I don't want witches on my spaceships. It does require some vigilance when purchasing.
Yea, generally speaking, but I actually like Glynn Stewart's Jump Mage series.

I would argue that the psi powers used by SF writers from the 30's to the 50's, including such names as Asimov, Doc Smith, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and McCaffery were the functional equivalent of witches. A number of classic SF books used psi powers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I can see it would be difficult to classify "The Witches of Karres" by James Schmitz. The book has both spaceships & witches.....
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I can see it would be difficult to classify "The Witches of Karres" by James Schmitz. The book has both spaceships & witches.....
So have others. eg the Liaden books.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sf/written-faq/

8. What is the difference between science fiction and fantasy?

See Q#7.

This also has been done to death. Virtually every answer you give will
fail to clearly indicate which category a large number of books belong
to. Familiar books mentioned that test the boundary conditions include
Anne McCaffrey's "Dragon" series, Piers Anthony's "Apprentice Adept"
series, STAR WARS, and anything that uses FTL. The most concise
definition I've heard was given by John Clute in a radio broadcast 22
March 1997: " "Science fiction: the model is that it is a kind of story
which argues from this world a kind of possible outcome. It's possibly
an improbable outcome, but it is arguable. Fantasy essentially, as I
have been seeing it, is a series of stories, self-coherent stories (a
term we use, kind of a bad neologism to describe stories which as [it]
were understand themselves as stories; they're told stories), that are
set in worlds that are technically impossible, that we can't argue. We
may believe in them, but we can't argue them."
===
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I can't seem to find much contemporary SF I like. The only two living authors I like are Robert Charles Wilson and Christopher Priest, and they'rennot young
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #20
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Nice to see a discussion in which "SF" is being used to mean Science fiction and not "SciFi" or "Speculative Fiction", which are abominations unto the Lord and the invention of the devil.

Grump on: grumble, grumble, neofans, grumble, snobbish bloody critics, grumble, Frederick Raphael, grumble grumble : Grump Off
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #21
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Asimov wrote fantasy himself; and he was a fan of LOTR. He enjoyed Star Wars, which he seems to have considered to be fantasy, and fun; but disparaged Close Encounters because he thought the science was ludicrous.
Pulpmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #22
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Asimov wrote fantasy himself; and he was a fan of LOTR. He enjoyed Star Wars, which he seems to have considered to be fantasy, and fun; but disparaged Close Encounters because he thought the science was ludicrous.
For me, it's not Fantasy I object to per se, but the increasing assumption that the two genres are in fact one. An analogous example to clarify:

French and Italian are very closely related, Hindi and Urdu much more so, but when I want to buy books in those languages, I find each of them in their own category - no French in the Italian section, no Hindi in the Urdu.

In contrast, trying to find science fiction devoid of fantasy is a tedious and time-consuming process because apparently if one enjoys reading fiction solidly based on science, one must therefore also enjoy interminable sagas of wizards, witches, elves and mages. All set on other planets, which apparently makes them SF.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Combining the two goes way, way back. I don't think I've every been to a store that didn't put the two together. There are a number of authors who go back and forth between the two genres as well as works that blur the borders between the two. I suspect that Asimov associated fantasy with pulp works like Conan the Barbarian rather than the more literary works such as LOTR, or the precursors to LOTR. I tend to read both SF and Fantasy myself, so combining the two works pretty well for me.
It's like combining "Crime" and "Mystery", which are two entirely separate genres, but nonetheless virtually everyone does it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I can't seem to find much contemporary SF I like. The only two living authors I like are Robert Charles Wilson and Christopher Priest, and they'rennot young
There are some excellent "hard SF" authors around, eg Peter F. Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds. Both very much alive!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #25
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are some excellent "hard SF" authors around, eg Peter F. Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds. Both very much alive!
I've tried them and didnt like them much. Neither has a patch on Banks.

I've never liked Heinlein. I don't understand why he is considered great. I used to think Asimov and Clarke were the greats, and I still think they were, in places. Now I think Banks and the Strugatsky brothers were the greats.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-03-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I've tried them and didnt like them much. Neither has a patch on Banks.
I far prefer Hamilton to Banks, but obviously such things are very much a matter of personal taste. Have you tried Hamilton's "Great North Road"? Best book I've read in last few years for me personally. It's a standalone "police procedural" set in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the 22nd century. Give it a go!

Last edited by HarryT; 01-03-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard

Ill try it. Thx.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #28
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I far prefer Hamilton to Banks, but obviously such things are very much a matter of personal taste. Have you tried Hamilton's "Great North Road"? Best book I've read in last few years for me personally. It's a standalone "police procedural" set in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the 22nd century. Give it a go!
I love almost all of Hamilton's books but, funnily enough, the one I really didn't is the Great North Road. As you say, personal taste!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh well, each to their own . I loved it!
Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Great North Road is my first book of the new tear and I am enjoying it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote