Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Kobo app on iOS 8.x

Well, it's official. On all 3 devices, I have to re download books on my Kobo app. On my iPad mini, I deleted the app and redownloaded the entire library. I am in the process of doing the same thing on my iPad 2 right now. I only have a couple of books loaded onto the iPhone, and I have to redo the download to get them to open.

Kobo responded within minutes when I sent feedback via the app. I am still unable to open one book, it stays stuck on "loading" on 2 devices, and I use another app to read it now.

I guess I'm still looking for the perfect epub app for my apple products.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I recommend Marvin.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I need an app that's going to read DRM'd books.

Bluefire is an option, but it does freeze up on me while it's trying to sync. It would be nice to have an app that works on epubs (both DRM'd and not) as smoothly as the Kindle app works on its format. Ah well, this is what we've got.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Felicia18
Felicia18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Nook Glow, IPad
I just downloaded the kobo app for my iPhone and my iPad2. Dumb question by I downloaded a few book to my iPhone app from my Dropbox and it's not showing up on my paid. Any suggestions??? My kobo H2O should be shipping soon and I wanted to get a head start on adding some books. I thought all the devices would sync. Help

Thanks so much
Felicia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
They only sync bookmarks etc, you need to have the books loaded on each device before you begin reading, I think.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
They only sync bookmarks etc, you need to have the books loaded on each device before you begin reading, I think.
No, the Kobo devices and apps only sync books purchased from the Kobo shop. They will sync reading position, bookmarks and the collections they are in. They don't sync anything about sideloaded books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, the Kobo devices and apps only sync books purchased from the Kobo shop. They will sync reading position, bookmarks and the collections they are in. They don't sync anything about sideloaded books.
Yeah, discovered that, myself, yesterday, when I tried.

Interestingly, iBooks syncs whether its bought from Apple or not. And I am still having hellish difficulty with any useful sync with Marvin, so although I prefer using it, to ibooks, I've kinda stopped. I like being able to sit at the computer and do a bit of reading, move to an iPad, and then to the phone, and the sync never misses a beat.

I'm also still using Stanza in night mode with maxed margins on my 5S. Oddly, its still my preferred reader, yes, even over Marvin. I will give up Stanza when Apple lets us change margins and gives access to all system fonts. Of course, I could be dead by then. It doesnt look too bad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	129254  

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-05-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
iBooks syncs the position of sideloaded books between devices? Since when? How does that work?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
iBooks syncs the position of sideloaded books between devices? Since when? How does that work?
It has always done this for me, but I couldn't find a setting that would look like it controls this. I have both "Synchronize bookmarks" and "Synchronize collections" on in the iBooks settings, but I doubt that has an impact on syncing positions.

However, I had serious problems with the syncing and I found myself several times back at the beginning of a book. That's what decided me to switch to Marvin. At least it will ask you what to do. But in the end, I gave up on syncing completely and now I'm just reading different books on the iPhone and iPad.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
It has always done this for me, but I couldn't find a setting that would look like it controls this. I have both "Synchronize bookmarks" and "Synchronize collections" on in the iBooks settings, but I doubt that has an impact on syncing positions.

However, I had serious problems with the syncing and I found myself several times back at the beginning of a book. That's what decided me to switch to Marvin. At least it will ask you what to do. But in the end, I gave up on syncing completely and now I'm just reading different books on the iPhone and iPad.
Likewise. I've never managed to get Marvin to sync, except once. (oh I tell a lie, it syncs happily between my two ipads, but dont ask the iphone to sync too. nopenopenope).

iBooks just does it but I hate the narrow margins. More so now I have a 5S, its accentuates them.

So... I'm back to Stanza. Again. Even on iOS8 with black bars tops and bottom
Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Oh I did manage to sync with Marvin, although it only does this manually. But it's just too annoying to have to go to the iPhone, sync, then go to the iPad and sync (or the other way around). I only read on my iPhone on the underground train where there is no 3G to speak of. So whatever the app, syncing is going to be a pain.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote