Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #1231
JAIvY
JAIvY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (7th Generation)
Content Not Syncing

Hi Guys, I have been using my Kindle PaperWhite 3 for a few years now and had been utilizing the kmanga site to manage all of my manga, with the closure of the site I have been trying to develop a personal method to collect and convert my manga to be able to send to the Kindle.

I have been trying to use the KCC (Kindle Comic Converter) Software to convert my manga files to .mobi. However, whenever I send the files to my device through the kindle email address I get this warning message when trying to add it to a collection https://imgur.com/EsAsFPq and I'am only able to delete the document and have no option to remove it from device.

If I use Calibre I don't have this problem and the content syncs and I am able to use it in a normal fashion where the collections are synced and are able to be removed and re-downloaded but the .mobi converter on calibre is sub-par and doesn't (in my opinion) provide the same quality of .mobi files.

Has anyone encountered this problem or a similar problem before? Was there a solution or is this something that is unfixable?
JAIvY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #1232
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I never seen this error in my life. I guess they broken e-mail delivery even worse.

Save yourself a headache and upload it over usb.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #1233
JAIvY

Thank you for such a quick reply but I'm afraid that doesn't really solve the problem. I believe that sending it via USB doesn't archive it in the kindle library (I could be wrong but have found no way to do so) which is precisely the issue that I've been trying to fix. Subsequently I have tried the Send to Kindle for PC app download that Amazon provide to no luck, it seems I may have run into a dead end.

May try and factory-reset the kindle tomorrow and provide some updates but I don't think much could be done. As you say, I can't find any mention of an issue like this maybe contacting Kindle support would be fruit-full?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #1234
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Note, there's a 50MB limit for personal documents stored in the cloud.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #1235
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would not bother contacting support as Amazon don't give damn about state of sideloaded content.

Anyway I just send 5.7MB KCC created MOBI using normal e-mail client. File was delivered and can be opened correctly. Adding it to collection generate error you shown and deleting file also delete it from the cloud. You are out of luck. It seems it work like Amazon planned.
Advert
Old 06-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #1236
JAIvY

The 50mb limit is for a single file I'm assuming, as I have over 10,000 personal documents at the moment on the cloud. So it's not the problem here i'm afraid.

I'm not 100% certain that it is as Amazon planned though, I have previously had personal documents sent to my kindle that have behaved in the "usual" way of being archived to the cloud and allowed for a local copy of the file to be removed and re-downloaded at a later time. The mobi conversion process from calibre also exhibits this "usual" behavior. Maybe you could do the same process using calibre instead and see the behavior that I'm talking about

I tried to send one of the example mobi files that are part of the github readme document and this also had the same problem, that the content won't sync between device and cloud, so i think this may have been something that was never intended to be a part of the service itself? Or I'm doing something wrong during the conversion process.

Update from last night is that i've tried the factory reset and it accomplished nothing and as you say contacting Kindle support would probably be a waste of time.

Last edited by JAIvY; 06-16-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Adding updates from previous post
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #1237
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

If I would do what Calibre do I could not produce manga type file at all.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #1238
JAIvY

I'm assuming your talking about the fact that the calibre mobi converter doesn't (in my experience) change the direction of reading?? Otherwise I'm not quiet following you.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #1239
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

KCC create MOBI file in totally different way than Calibre - direction of reading is just a tip of the iceberg. It is quite possible that Kindle handle that output differently and that cause your issue.

Generally e-mail delivery/cloud storage was a never priority for me as size limits are way too low.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #1240
JAIvY

That is completely understandable, I assumed that the converters were in some way similar as I have read about the efforts to produce a calibre plug-in.

Thanks for your efforts towards this issue and for the timely replies. Would there be any chance this behaviour would change using the command line version of KCC?

Last edited by JAIvY; 06-16-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Adding question
Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #1241
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

CLI version just have access to more options - process is the same.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #1242
JAIvY

Okay, thanks for your time
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #1243
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Anyway I just send 5.7MB KCC created MOBI using normal e-mail client. File was delivered and can be opened correctly. Adding it to collection generate error you shown and deleting file also delete it from the cloud. You are out of luck. It seems it work like Amazon planned.
I took a look at one of the sample books from the KCC GitHub and was able to determine what is going wrong.

That book has the EXTH ASIN (113) and CDEContentKey (504) fields both set to a UUID. When emailed to my Amazon account and delivered to my Kindle the ASIN was changed by Amazon to 32-character string, linking it to the copy of the book in my account as is normal for a personal document.

However the CDEContentKey was left with the original UUID. This causes a problem because newer Kindle firmware uses that field as the primary identifier for the document in preference to the ASIN, breaking the link to the copy in my amazon account and resulting in the book being treated as if it was sideloaded via USB.

I was able to work around the problem by removing the CDEContentKey before emailing the book to Amazon. Doing that resulted in the copy delivered to my Kindle being able to be added to collections and deleted normally.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #1244
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Well done. As always your insight save the day :-)

I not touched that part of code for long, long time and I don't remember why injecting field 504 was needed. I guess something with cover support and/or removing personal tag.

I will probably add option to CLI version to leave headers alone.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #1245
JAIvY

Wow thank you for the keen diagnostic, would you be able to enlighten me as to the process that you carried out to remove the CDEContentKey that got the file working as a work around.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools