Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
cats2books
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Pro 12.9
Transferring books to new kindle

What’s the easiest way to set up your new kindle to match the collections and associated books from the previous kindle?

I wish that it was as easy as getting a new iPhone. At least that has the option of copying everything from the cloud to mirror your old phone.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
If they're all bought from Amazon their Your Content and Devices page should do the trick.

Otherwise (e.g., books you loaded onto your Kindle while it was connected to your PC) you can use Calibre to copy them from the old Kindle to your PC (by which I mean Calibre's library) and then connect the new Kindle and have Calibre send them to it. But the collections won't be preserved with the Calibre method.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
KeenGrip25
KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I am looking to find out the same thing. I have the 2018 paperwhite arriving tomorrow.. my original 2012 is slowing down. I have mix of books purchased through amazon and books not purchased through amazon. Is there a way to simply plug both in, open calibre and have everything transfer from the old kindle to the new one...collections I have made included?

I have been googling this for about an hour and found nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
KeenGrip25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
KeenGrip25
KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.KeenGrip25 can teach chickens to fly.

I am guessing from the post above mine that this isn't possible?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Sol Arkite
Connoisseur
Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenGrip25 View Post
I am looking to find out the same thing. I have the 2018 paperwhite arriving tomorrow.. my original 2012 is slowing down. I have mix of books purchased through amazon and books not purchased through amazon. Is there a way to simply plug both in, open calibre and have everything transfer from the old kindle to the new one...collections I have made included?

I have been googling this for about an hour and found nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Another way you could accomplish this if the DRM is removed :
(But first let me advocate that you jailbreak first before connecting to WiFi for feature enhancements. If you don’t jailbreak with the shipped firmware you’ll lose the ability to jailbreak ever again. An don’t update the firmware past 5.10.x. Higher iterations seem to be challenging the jailbreak)
1. register your new kindle
2. Copy the documents folder from the old kindle to computer.
3. Copy the documents folder from your computer to the new kindle.

Last edited by Sol Arkite; 08-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
This may sound somewhat complicated, but it's really very simple:

1) Plug in your OLD ebook reader and let calibre notice it.
2) Sort all the ebooks on the list (your ebooks will have a check-mark) and highlight them. (In other words, group all of the check-marked ebooks together.)
3) Now that the ebooks on your old device have been highlighted (step 2) and are listed together, go to Edit Metadata and create a unique tag that will identity every one of those highlighted ebooks.
4) Create a Virtual Library, using that unique tag to isolate those ebooks from the rest of the ebooks you have on calibre.
5) safely remove your old device.
6) Plug in your NEW device and let calibre recognize it.
7) Highlight all of the books that are listed in your newly-created Virtual Library.
8) Load (copy) them to your new device.
9) You're finished.

IMPORTANT: This is assuming that ALL your ebooks have been put on calibre and that you have taken care of DRM issues beforehand.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
does that method also preserve collections?
reading the whole thread, one issue seems to be not how to get the books onto the new device, but how to get them into the same collections as before ( not sure if the posters mean local collections, cloud collections at amazon, or both )
I suspect the answer depends on what is managing the collections data : calibre, amazon, or some combination of both ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
does that method also preserve collections?
reading the whole thread, one issue seems to be not how to get the books onto the new device, but how to get them into the same collections as before ( not sure if the posters mean local collections, cloud collections at amazon, or both )
I suspect the answer depends on what is managing the collections data : calibre, amazon, or some combination of both ?

I don't believe it does, but then again I don't use calibre for creating collections. Someone else may have a better answer on this.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KO3, KV, KPW4, KA1, Kobo Aura H2O, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This may sound somewhat complicated, but it's really very simple:

1) Plug in your OLD ebook reader and let calibre notice it.
2) Sort all the ebooks on the list (your ebooks will have a check-mark) and highlight them. (In other words, group all of the check-marked ebooks together.)
3) Now that the ebooks on your old device have been highlighted (step 2) and are listed together, go to Edit Metadata and create a unique tag that will identity every one of those highlighted ebooks.
4) Create a Virtual Library, using that unique tag to isolate those ebooks from the rest of the ebooks you have on calibre.
5) safely remove your old device.
6) Plug in your NEW device and let calibre recognize it.
7) Highlight all of the books that are listed in your newly-created Virtual Library.
8) Load (copy) them to your new device.
9) You're finished.

IMPORTANT: This is assuming that ALL your ebooks have been put on calibre and that you have taken care of DRM issues beforehand.
Does the method you outlined above account for the collections coming over (and populated) during the transfer? I think this was part of the OP's question.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for that issue.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Calibre can't create collections on newer Kindle models (unless they're jailbroken).

How were these books transferred to your old Kindle? If these books were just USB-sideloaded using Calibre, then sorry, you need to create the collections manually on your PW4.

If the books were purchased and downloaded from Amazon or Amazon's cloud (via send/email to Kindle), then it's possible to sync Amazon Cloud Collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
(But first let me advocate that you jailbreak first before connecting to WiFi for feature enhancements. If you don’t jailbreak with the shipped firmware you’ll lose the ability to jailbreak ever again. An don’t update the firmware past 5.10.x. Higher iterations seem to be challenging the jailbreak)
Can't jailbreak the current shipping PW4 (5.10.3) anymore (we have a copy of the factory but the ;installHtml and ;merchant vulnerabilities have been patched). Last jailbreakable PW4 was 5.10.1.3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
You can somewhat simplify Dr. Drib's step 2 by clicking on the Device button in calibre's main toolbar. That button shows up when you plug in your kindle and it disappears when you eject/unplug your kindle (eject is safer). When you click that button it shows you all of the books on your kindle, in particular the ones that aren't in your calibre library. There's a column on the left, In Library, which shows which books are in your calibre library; you may want to copy over any that aren't in your calibre library, but probably not the dictionary or kindle user manual.

You can click on the Library button to show the books that are in your calibre library and that has a corresponding On Device column for what's on your kindle.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
Sol Arkite
Connoisseur
Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Sol Arkite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Can't jailbreak the current shipping PW4 (5.10.3) anymore (we have a copy of the factory but the ;installHtml and ;merchant vulnerabilities have been patched). Last jailbreakable PW4 was 5.10.1.3.
Thanks for the update. I missed that. I don’t understand why they are trying harder to block the jailbreak. It doesn’t disrupt the business model. I hope renewed jailbreak efforts are successful. I have an unjailbroken Voyage I’d like to mod. I had Copied the blocking folder to 5.11.x but the updates came through to 5.12.x . Thanks for all the hard work that has been and continues to go on behind the scenes.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #14
KeenGrip25

Thanks for the responses. So from reading them... I can’t transfer collections as they aren’t collections in calibre, they were put into collections in my kindle (using individual books transferred from calibre).

Also from reading responses... I CAN’T Jailbreak my new Paperwhite 4?? Even if I haven’t connected to wifi yet? Is that correct about the inability to jailbreak?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. So from reading them... I can’t transfer collections as they aren’t collections in calibre, they were put into collections in my kindle (using individual books transferred from calibre).
Iirc, you can view collections created on the Kindle on Calibre in device view. As mentioned though, Calibre can't create collections on a modern non-jailbroken Kindle.

Quote:
Also from reading responses... I CAN’T Jailbreak my new Paperwhite 4?? Even if I haven’t connected to wifi yet? Is that correct about the inability to jailbreak?
Depends. There have been reports of some PW4s still shipping with 5.10.1.3. I believe the majority are on 5.10.3 now, though.

Check the firmware version before you connect to wifi to see if you get lucky on the firmware lottery.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote