Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #8236
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Simon Green, author of the Nightside series, amongst others--while an author that I really enjoy--pisses me off no end because he writes his series, they seem to be going great guns, and then he just...guillotines them. Ends them abruptly or lamely, with no going back. Kills off MCs, etc.

Hitch
Ah, I see, the flip side of the neverending series.

I feel the same way about Michael Stackpole. He's written several books where I thought it was going really well, then had an ending where I wanted to throw the book against the wall. It's like a great joke that has an incredibly lame punch line.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #8237
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Ah, I see, the flip side of the neverending series.

I feel the same way about Michael Stackpole. He's written several books where I thought it was going really well, then had an ending where I wanted to throw the book against the wall. It's like a great joke that has an incredibly lame punch line.
I know, right? It's just...wrong. I feel like we should call that Reichenbach-Falls-ing a series. "Oh, yeah, screw it, I'm tired of writing this character/arc/whatever and so, omg, here are 10 empty pages, let's end this sucker."

That's how it feels. It's just...infuriating. His last one, Shadows Fall, had this massively entertaining premise. Basically, that people and characters from fiction, myth, religion, et al who had been brought to life via belief needed a place to retire to, when the populace stopped believing in them. Whether old Gods, or action-adventure characters, fables, you-name-it, they all end up at this town. This "place" had started out as a mere mention in his Nightside series, which was fine, and then, he writes this standalone.

Fantastically entertaining and then, sort of like the absurdity of that Batman v. Superman movie, where they decide
Spoiler:
to make peace and live (kinda) happily ever after, just 'cuz they both have Moms named Martha,
and the whole ending abruptly shifts, the protagonist does something, and voila, in seriously, like 2 pages. It's as though the second act took up to the last two pages of the book, and the third act was that two pages. Absolutely infuriating.

In several of his other series, he just (do NOT read if you haven't read his various series!!!!)
Spoiler:
whacked 'em. Killed them off.
Talk about tooth-grinding.

Anyway...I get it. The author doesn't "owe" me anything. Basically, they owe us one good read, for our dollars. They aren't obligated to continue a series, etc. But daaaayam, when people invest in a series, it's not just a dollar investment; obviously, they're investing in the characters as well. Is it too much to ask for at least a complete, competently-done ending, when that time comes?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #8238
sqdancer
Fanatic
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Kindle 4B Touch2 PW4
Wasn't Shadows Fall from years ago?

Last edited by sqdancer; 06-14-2019 at 11:44 PM.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #8239
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Wasn't Shadows Fall from years ago?
In paperback, 2005. What's the question?

Hitch
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #8240
sqdancer
Fanatic
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Kindle 4B Touch2 PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
In paperback, 2005. What's the question?

Hitch
Sorry, just confused. Probably because it's past my bedtime, but I somehow I was reading it as though you were saying it was his last book.

But if you're open to questions, what did you think of "Night Fall"?
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #8241
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Sorry, just confused. Probably because it's past my bedtime, but I somehow I was reading it as though you were saying it was his last book.
Sorry, in re-reading my post, I see what you mean. I guess I meant, "last" as in, hell, dunno. I guess my brain misfired.

Quote:
But if you're open to questions, what did you think of "Night Fall"?

I think I ended up hating it. I just can't see that "wrapped this up in the last 3 pages of the book" stuff working in those fantastic worlds he created. It's...it's neat, but not credible, I guess, is the way I look at it. I can't see Taylor and Suzie fitting in with the Droods; the inverse is more credible than that scenario. That's another one of those "tie it off in a knot too-quick endings" that I was talking about. God knows, it's better than the end to the Ghostfinders series, or Hawk/Hunter, OR the end to the Deathstalkers (don't get me started....), but still.

I guess I simply don't like the way he ends things. It always feels abrupt and rushed to me. Obviously, I like the guy's work, for relatively quick reads; loved the Nightside series a lot. Really liked the Droods. (Loved the damn bear and the goat, too, who seemed to make it into every single series, afaik...altho I don't think I've seen them in the Ishmael Joneses yet...). It's a bit like a fix. One series ends, I find or he starts a new one, and I start reading again and I never learn that at some point in time, my supply will be cut-off and I'll start jonesing.

I'm reading the latest Ishmael Jones, as it happens, now.

I'm also smoked about how his publisher has jacked up prices on his Kindle versions. Over $14, for a Kindle version? I had started buying these in dt, 2nd-hand when that crap started but I just wrapped up something else and wanted a quick bit of entertainment, so I treated myself to it. Nonetheless, even though I'm a maker of eBooks--that's LOT for a short eBook, IMHO. The dt book isn't even 200 pages, for crying out loud.

Hitch
Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #8242
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
So, I just came across this...

https://mobile.twitter.com/longshota...648715264?s=21

Quote:
Finished the finale of Peace Talks this morning.

Just the wrap-up chapter to go.

News regarding pub dates as I get it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #8243
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

Awesome. Only the wrap up chapter to be done, huh? That is shop talk for creating a horrible mean cliffhanger for Mirror Mirror. Maybe we should be nice to him now.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #8244
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Peace Talks

Check this out!!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #8245
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool DragonCon

Check this out!!! (a new post)

Last edited by alansplace; 07-04-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #8246
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool WesterCon/SpikeCon Schedule

Check this out here!!!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #8247
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Surprise Appearance at ConnectiCon!

Check this new news out here!!!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #8248
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Check this new news out here!!!

Not very surprise-y.

Hitch
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #8249
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Better news today...

From Jim Butcher @longshotauthor:
Quote:
T
H
E

E
N
D

I love typing that.
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/s...673069569?s=20

Peace Talks is officially "finished" and on its way to beta readers then editing. He says release date "soon."

Last edited by Dazrin; 07-22-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:15 AM   #8250
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Better news today...

From Jim Butcher @longshotauthor:

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/s...673069569?s=20

Peace Talks is officially "finished" and on its way to beta readers then editing. He says release date "soon."
Nice one. Hopefully it gets published this year, but that is pushing it. Maybe by February next year in time for my birthday.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy