Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #28411
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thanks! Appreciate the advice! I'll have to check the library and see what is available. I need something funny.
I will note that quite a lot of Holt’s fiction reminds me of Douglas Adams, in that it starts with a hapless Brit, confronts him with something impossible, and proceeds to make sure he’s completely out of his depth but comes through on top in the end.

As for me, it looks like I might start Garth Ennis’s The Boys soon, as the entire run (and several other volumes) are currently on offer in a Humble Bundle.

ETA: I’m going to suggest Little People or Barking, as I just saw that they’re 99¢ each on Amazon US. Hard to beat that deal, and several other books from his backlist are only $2.99 each.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 07-18-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #28412
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thanks! Appreciate the advice! I'll have to check the library and see what is available. I need something funny.
S
I'd go straight for Bill Hicks then.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #28413
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Just finished That Night by Chevy Stevens. Next is The Last Mile by David Baldacci.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #28414
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished The Survival of Molly Southbourne by Tade Thompson. A quick but satisfying read.

Next up, a brand new Serafina book.
Dngrsone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #28415
poohbear_nc
Be Afraid! Very Afraid!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've been binge reading Edith Wharton's short fiction - short stories and novellas - it's amazing the range of genres she could write in - and such a subtle, savage, sense of humor ...

If interested, MR member pulpmeister has recently been uploading some collections of the short stories in our MR Library.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 AM   #28416
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
As for me, it looks like I might start Garth Ennis’s The Boys soon, as the entire run (and several other volumes) are currently on offer in a Humble Bundle.
Finished that series (all twelve volumes) this morning.

Definitely not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. If you winced at some of what HBO showed in their Game of Thrones adaptation, steer clear, because this goes much further. I’m curious how far Amazon went in their adaptation, but I know they kept at least some of the extreme gore.

That said, I found it a compelling and thoughtful story about the dangers of unchecked power and the cost that doing something distasteful but necessary can exact on one’s soul.

Not sure exactly what I’m going to tackle next, but there’s a good chance it’ll be the Jennifer Blood series that was included in the same bundle, about a woman who’s a suburban housewife by day and a vigilante by night.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:35 AM   #28417
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks. Another recent purchase.
Which is interesting, but not yet gripping.

So I've also started and finished and old purchase and a new one:

Murder in LaMut by Raymond E. Feist
Bought ages ago from Fictionwise. A fun murder mystery side-story in his Magician series.

The Orphans of Raspay by Lois McMaster Bujold
Just published, her latest Penric & Desdemona novella. Excellent, as expected.

And I'm also reading Monster Hunter: Siege

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2019 at 07:43 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #28418
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
I finished the book "The Joy of X" by Steven Strogatz a New York Times best seller on maths.

I just started "Mathematics in 10 lessons: The Grand Tour" by Jerry P. King

Martin Gardner (famous for writing math articles I think) said of the book , by King, that Mathematicians rarely write for outsiders but when they do they often do it well. Strogatz's book did not give the keys to the temple of secret priestcraft that has existed since the ancient Greeks and Plato. Anyway, there is symbolic logic in the book etc... unlike Strogatz's book and basically what seperates the mathematician from the rest of intellectual society is that he knows that all of mathematics can be derived from a few fundamental Axioms and that he knows the driving force of Mathematics is aesthetics/beauty :

“Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty—a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.”

― Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Anyway, after reading a book like this you would be more ready to conquer the classic book that put meaning back into mathematics "What is Mathematics ?" by Courant and Robbins and updated by Ian Stewart.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #28419
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Oh, goody. I missed that this had shipped. Thanks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2019 at 07:43 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #28420
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I just finished The Queen of Bedlam by Robert R. McCammon, second book in the Matthew Corbett series.

It was a good read, it takes a while before you can see where the story should be going and comprehend what's going on. But it is so well written I don't mind the slower pace.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #28421
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I just finished The Queen of Bedlam by Robert R. McCammon, second book in the Matthew Corbett series.

It was a good read, it takes a while before you can see where the story should be going and comprehend what's going on. But it is so well written I don't mind the slower pace.
I read the third in series Mister Slaughter back in 2017. My memory is hazy but it's more action-adventure so it moves at a faster pace. The ending is a big reveal.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #28422
drofgnal
Guru
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4NT/iphone/ipad/ipad mini
I'm on the third book of Cixin Lui's Trilogy 'Death's End'. (Three body Problem) I typically don't like Sci-Fi that much, but this has been very enjoyable.

Obama's review "wildly imaginative... really interesting' is spot on.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #28423
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just collected a lot of free Horror books from Amazon in preparation for Halloween reading. A lot of them sounded potential! I'll only post about them if they're especially good though.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #28424
HudsonSpike
HudsonSpike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD10
Darkmatter by Steven William Rimmer.
It's a novel about an alternate universe. It's 1961. Their Earth didn't go through the Second World War, as a result, a lot of changes occured. I won't spoil it but it is very well done so far and normally these alternate time lines/universes get too messy because the author can't handle it (Heinlein wasn't one of those).

Free if you have Kindle Unlimited.
HudsonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:40 AM   #28425
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Which is interesting, but not yet gripping.

So I've also started and finished and old purchase and a new one:

Murder in LaMut by Raymond E. Feist
Bought ages ago from Fictionwise. A fun murder mystery side-story in his Magician series.

And I'm also reading Monster Hunter: Siege
Finished Monster Hunter: Siege, which was quite good, but starting to get a bit silly.

Back to Consider Phlebas
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote