Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #1261
BlackDogWhite
BlackDogWhite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle (oldold) & Gen6 Fire, Gen8 Fire
BTW, I am on Win10.

Somewhat embarrassingly I've discovered I was running 32 bit code - thought I was on 64. Seeing some other post about 3.46 difficulties, I installed 3.44 (which is when I noticed the 32/64 issue. So I uninstalled everything (which does not seem to really uninstall _everything_) and reinstalled 3.44-64bit. Having the same issues.

I only use this plugin for page/word counts, so in ad debug effort I added a Gunning Fog column and variable. Still get the same message which is leading me to believe it does not understand the link to either Goodreads or whatever the heck lubimyczytac is. But it is not clear to me how I am supposed to add/modify the download sources.
BlackDogWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #1262
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, the "No identifiers for selected download sources" is specific to the book you are trying to download the page count for. You need the identifier for each book you want to download the page count for.

Have you checked the configuration? There have been some problems related to how calibre stores configurations. I don't think they would have affected this plugin, but, it would be a good idea to check.

Which version of the plugin are you using? The released version? Or the beta I posted above? If the latter, I might have messed up the configuration. It wouldn't surprise me if Skoob was selected when it shouldn't have been.

If the configuration looks good, can you post the contents of the configuration file? To get to it, go to the miscellaneous page of the calibre preferences and press the "Open calibre configuration directory" button. Then go to the "plugins" directory. The file I want is "Count Pages.json". And if you could run calibre in debug mode, do the count and post the log, that should tell me what has happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #1263
BlackDogWhite

No identifiers for selected download sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, the "No identifiers for selected download sources" is specific to the book you are trying to download the page count for.
OK, so the error message has nothing to do with the download site, but the book we are looking up? I've tried doing a page count on a book for which I had already done the page count (last week) and it failed. FWIW. This sounds like my calibre library is corrupted - like it can't find the index for an entry???

Quote:
Have you checked the configuration?
I'm not sure how to do that, nor what that even means, to asses the configuration.

Quote:
If the configuration looks good, can you post the contents of the configuration file?
The version number for Count Pages is 1.8.2. Here is the Count Pages.json contents:
{
"Options": {
"askForConfirmation": true,
"buttonDefault": "Download",
"checkAllSources": true,
"downloadSources": [
[
"goodreads",
true,
true
],
[
"lubimyczytac.pl",
true,
true
]
],
"overwriteExisting": true,
"showTryAllSources": true,
"updateIfUnchanged": true,
"useIcuWordcount": true,
"usePreferredOutput": false
}
}

Quote:
And if you could run calibre in debug mode, do the count and post the log, that should tell me what has happened.
I'll do that as a separate message. Where is the log to which you refer?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I really do appreciate it.

Ron
Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #1264
BlackDogWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And if you could run calibre in debug mode, do the count and post the log, that should tell me what has happened.
I did two page counts, the first on a book previously "counted", the second one on a new book. Here is the debug log:

calibre Debug log
calibre 3.44 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17763')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17763', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Count Pages (1, 8, 2)
calibre 3.44 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17763')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17763', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Count Pages (1, 8, 2)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 94.1467181467 x 94.0740740741
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.02] Showing splash screen...
[0.06] splash screen shown
[0.06] Initializing db...
[0.11] db initialized
[0.11] Constructing main UI...
[1.59] main UI initialized...
[1.59] Hiding splash screen
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.88: 0.804) _startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.93: 0.000) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 0.95: 0.000) _startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
[2.72] splash screen hidden
[2.72] Started up in 2.72 seconds with 1547 books
SMART_DEV ( 1.99: 1.007) run All IP addresses {'{C27DD5DD-C967-4473-8C41-58C3EF7536C4}': [{'addr': u'192.168.10.204', 'broadcast': u'192.168.10.204', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.255'}], '{476EA27F-4ED3-11E9-9027-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': u'127.0.0.1', 'broadcast': u'127.0.0.1', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.255'}]}
toolbar_triggered - mode= Download
toolbar_triggered - download_source= None
QueueProgressDialog - self.input_order= [u'epub', u'azw3', u'mobi', u'lit', u'prc', u'fb2', u'html', u'htm', u'xhtm', u'shtml', u'xhtml', u'zip', u'docx', u'odt', u'rtf', u'pdf', u'txt']
toolbar_triggered - download_source= None
QueueProgressDialog - self.input_order= [u'epub', u'azw3', u'mobi', u'lit', u'prc', u'fb2', u'html', u'htm', u'xhtm', u'shtml', u'xhtml', u'zip', u'docx', u'odt', u'rtf', u'pdf', u'txt']
Old 07-22-2019, 04:13 AM   #1265
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDogWhite View Post
OK, so the error message has nothing to do with the download site, but the book we are looking up? I've tried doing a page count on a book for which I had already done the page count (last week) and it failed. FWIW. This sounds like my calibre library is corrupted - like it can't find the index for an entry???
No it is both. If you have the plugin configured to download the page count from a particular site, the books must have the identifier for that site. So, if you want the page count from Goodreads, the books must have a Goodreads identifier.
Quote:
I'm not sure how to do that, nor what that even means, to asses the configuration.
I just meant to look at the configuration for the plugin and make sure it is how you want it. Do you intend for it to download the page count rather than calculate it? Does it have the correct sites selected? If you don't have any Polish books, it might not make sense to have "lubimyczytac.pl" selected. And if you only have Polish books, it might not be sensible to have Goodreads selected.
Quote:
The version number for Count Pages is 1.8.2.
That is the released version.
Quote:
Here is the Count Pages.json contents:
{
"Options": {
"askForConfirmation": true,
"buttonDefault": "Download",
"checkAllSources": true,
"downloadSources": [
[
"goodreads",
true,
true
],
[
"lubimyczytac.pl",
true,
true
]
],
"overwriteExisting": true,
"showTryAllSources": true,
"updateIfUnchanged": true,
"useIcuWordcount": true,
"usePreferredOutput": false
}
}
That looks fine. But, you have enabled both download sources and if a book does not have an id for one, you will see the error.
Quote:

I'll do that as a separate message. Where is the log to which you refer?
Unfortunately, the log isn't showing much. I'll have test at home to see what I can see there.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-28-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #1266
BlackDogWhite

Finally got this working

It took forever for me to understand what was going on. Since I had Page Count working before, and did not recall any particular customization, I was flummoxed as to why I was getting this error.

So in case this helps anyone else, here is a summary of my particular issue.

I believe I took all the defaults on Page Count. And since I already had the necessary extra columns and tags for the fields I thought I was ready to go. The Page count was set to go to the custom column #pages using the algorithm Adobe Digital Editions; and word count was to go to #words and use the ICU algorithm (whatever that is).

My big mistake was on the "Other" tab for customizing Count Pages. It was defaulting to download from both Goodreads and lubimyczytac.pl. Unchecking those on the Download options fixed my problem. What was happening was, since I had Goodreads checked (e.g.), Page Count needed to find an Goodreads "ID" for each book I was trying to count. None of my books had that, so the Page Count would fail.

I hope this helps someone else. Or maybe my future self, the next time my computer hiccups!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 AM   #1267
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDogWhite View Post
It took forever for me to understand what was going on. Since I had Page Count working before, and did not recall any particular customization, I was flummoxed as to why I was getting this error.

So in case this helps anyone else, here is a summary of my particular issue.

I believe I took all the defaults on Page Count. And since I already had the necessary extra columns and tags for the fields I thought I was ready to go. The Page count was set to go to the custom column #pages using the algorithm Adobe Digital Editions; and word count was to go to #words and use the ICU algorithm (whatever that is).

My big mistake was on the "Other" tab for customizing Count Pages. It was defaulting to download from both Goodreads and lubimyczytac.pl. Unchecking those on the Download options fixed my problem. What was happening was, since I had Goodreads checked (e.g.), Page Count needed to find an Goodreads "ID" for each book I was trying to count. None of my books had that, so the Page Count would fail.
For the record, the plugins defaults only have Goodreads selected for downloading the page count. And the default action when pressing the button is "Estimate page/word counts". If the plugin was attempting to download the page count, that means you had either changed the default action to one of the download options, or were explicitly choosing the download option from menu.

The button action, or what you chose from the menu to start the count is the actual problem. If you use the "Estimate page/word counts", it doesn't care what download options are selected or identifiers the book has. It just does the stats using the book in the library.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #1268
simfin
simfin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Can't select custom column

Hello. I'm running Calibre 3.46.0 on a Mac (OS version 10.14.6 - Mojave) and would like to use this plugin but I can't configure it - the drop-down menus to select custom columns are empty and they won't let me select anything. Note - I have created 2 custom columns specifically and they do exist.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is there any way round it - e.g. can I manually edit the Count pages.json file to add the columns? If so what should I add?

Thanks
simfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #1269
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by simfin View Post
Hello. I'm running Calibre 3.46.0 on a Mac (OS version 10.14.6 - Mojave) and would like to use this plugin but I can't configure it - the drop-down menus to select custom columns are empty and they won't let me select anything. Note - I have created 2 custom columns specifically and they do exist.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is there any way round it - e.g. can I manually edit the Count pages.json file to add the columns? If so what should I add?

Thanks
Are the custom columns you created of the correct type? (Numeric:Integers (for pages), floating point (for the scores) )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #1270
simfin
simfin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Can't select custom column - solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are the custom columns you created of the correct type? (Numeric:Integers (for pages), floating point (for the scores) )
Ah - I'd overlooked that instruction - thank you! All sorted now.
simfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #1271
titanshadow
titanshadow began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Consistent Pages on EPUB?

So, I'm wondering... I have been using Books on my iPad to read eBooks i've gotten from various sources. Now, my goal is to have consistent page numbering, some of my books are text books and I keep track of how much I have to read in a day to get a chapter done using page counts. I also sometimes end up reading on my iPhone or my computer. Each device gives me different page counts based on how much space they have on the screen.

I was hoping this plugin would allow me to produce an ePub that has consist page counts between different devices, as this would make my life a lot easier. I have configured the plugin, but so far I haven't been able to produce an EPUB that does this -- is it just not possible on my iPad? Is there another plugin I could use?
titanshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #1272
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Count Pages is about Analysis (you choice of rule). My main use is size comparison (That is words, not screen fulls). I use the same setting for all books in Calibre. That way I get an idea (that file size alone does not give) of how much reading this one has compared to that one

With user allowed font and other changes, counting SCREEN FULLS (?pages) is 90% meaningless.

Please tell me that you are not one of those selfpubers that plays with line spacing and unusual margins to make the work seem bigger than it really is
Old 09-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #1273
titanshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Count Pages is about Analysis (you choice of rule). My main use is size comparison (That is words, not screen fulls). I use the same setting for all books in Calibre. That way I get an idea (that file size alone does not give) of how much reading this one has compared to that one

With user allowed font and other changes, counting SCREEN FULLS (?pages) is 90% meaningless.

Please tell me that you are not one of those selfpubers that plays with line spacing and unusual margins to make the work seem bigger than it really is
No, I'm not. I honestly use page count to make sure I get things read as reading is very slow for me and I'm currently attending the University of Kentucky and have a lot to read. Using the page numbers gives me a way to break up reading a chapter for class evenly across several days. I know it isn't that big of a deal and apparently Apple doesn't use the ADE standard way to determining page numbers (which from what I read, many readers do) as a way of producing consistent page numbers across devices.

My hope has been to add the data to a needed EPUB via Calibre, but that hasn't been as effective as I would like. The main reason I gravitated toward Apple was due to not only place syncing but syncing of my highlights and notes in a given book. This, of course, isn't required exactly but does make my life a lot easier. I know that if I purchase a book via the Kindle that Whisper Sync would do this but it doesn't do this for books that I have gotten from other platforms -- which I have a lot of, as I used to have a Nook before I got a Google Tablet and then got a bunch from the Play Store and only in the last year or so even have a Kindle device. Many of my textbooks that DO offer a digital edition offer it in a wide variety of formats which makes consistency of device difficult.

Hence, why I have Calibre, to manage my digital library. Since I have the iPad, it's nice that if I can get whatever book to EPUB I can just upload them all into Books on my Mac and it syncs to my devices. I think I can do this in Google Play as well but I don't really like their reader, though it is functional.

Anyway -- long winded on what I'm trying to do.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #1274
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The plugin has more that 1 choice of count method (including a 'lookup' at a popular site).
The ADE word method is a pretty solid count for comparison. ( Use words rather than pages. )
Calibre does embed this fields data upon a Calibre transfer (or if polished),
You need to view the internal OPF to see it.
OR
Use The plugboard to jam {#pages} (or your fields name) into the Title
OR
use the Send to * Template to include {pages} in the files name
Old 09-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #1275
titanshadow

Yeah, looks like I'm just going to have to live with the Apple lack consistent page numbers or give up syncing and use my actual Kindle, at least this will work for that purpose.

Thank you for the information though!

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin