Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
FrustratedReader's Avatar
 
Posts: 608
Karma: 2186878
Join Date: Jun 2017
Device: Various
Epubs are fine and will work on other readers and phone/tablet apps. Kepubs are Kobo specific. Sometimes the margin indent is wrong on kepubs.
You can even convert epub to epub to have Calibre settings change things.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #17
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Whats the best alternative to epub to test if thats my battery issue though?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 17,151
Karma: 26480038
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Whats the best alternative to epub to test if thats my battery issue though?
Probably kepub. But, just convert a few. Or use the KoboTouchExtended driver to do it when you send the book.

But, rereading your description of the problem, it doesn't sound like it is book related. It sounds like it is sitting idle when the battery discharge is happening. And after a restart. The situation with a book causing the problem is when reading or leaving the device idle after reading. The times this has been reported, restarting the device stops the battery drain, until the book is opened again.

For your case, I'm wondering if the device is going to sleep. The battery that you describe could happen if the device is awake the whole time. If something is blocking the sleep, or it is disabled or being woken, then the battery will drain. And if for some reason it constantly sleeping and waking, the battery usage will probably be high.

There have been a few reasons for this. A magnet or something metal nearby can affect the sleep. The Glo HD has IR touch, so something touching the screen can prevent it sleeping. And will use the battery faster. A badly fitting sleep cover, or one with something inside touching the screen can also do this.

The WiFi will also use battery. For a long time I had a bad internet connection. Sometimes this would cause the overnight sync to not work properly and drain the battery.

If it was happening after sideloading new books, it could be related to the import or cover generation. These do open the book to to extract the metadata and then to render the cover. For epubs and PDFs the cover generation uses the Adobe RMSDK, so if there is a problem in the book, it could trigger what I described before.

Some things you can try:

- Turning of the cover detection an manually putting the device to sleep.
- Checking if something is touching the screen when sleep should happen.
- Turn off WiFi for a while.
- If you get a battery drain, reboot and see if it keeps happening.
- If it happens after reading, check the book using the calibre editor, Sigil or ePubCheck.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #19
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
TechniSol's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,056
Karma: 3151024
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm assuming *CRINGE* that you didn't upgrade the firmware or perform any other jiggery-pokery prior to the problem surfacing? Absolutely no patches, customizations, Satanic, Wiccan, Druidic, Labour Party, Democratic Party, Republican Party, Freemasons, Shriners, or even ecumenical rituals, etc... ;-)

One other thought if it continues to happen might be to wipe the ereader, remove all books and test for a day or so after fully charging, or perhaps charging/discharging for a cycle or two, then add a book you know you read before having the issue and see what happens... I'd do this with Wifi/Sync off and see how it behaves. It never hurts to strip something down to the bones if there are simply too many variables to account for and you can manage to do so without great heartache. It often gets rid of a lot of possibilities unlikely to be causing the problem, but likely to be wasting a lot of effort to eliminate them. If you can build it back up step by step while testing you may just find the culprit.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoyed the humor. We can often do with a bit when frustrated while troubleshooting something...

Personally, my money is on the somewhat trippy fuel gauge on the eReaders which occasionally requires a swift kick by running it empty and then full so it can reclaim a zero(not sure it really gets one as it's likely hardcoded to shut down at a minimum voltage, but it may shut down due to a minimum voltage defined by hardware in the battery pack signaling the battery's eminent demise with an interrupt line while noting the minimum recorded voltage measured by an A/D converter) and top off point as my guess is that it may simply note top end voltage and extrapolates or interpolates, if you prefer, to scale that range to 100% with a predefined minimum voltage that serves to cause low power screen shutdown. I have no evidence of either way that I can think of, but both represent the two likeliest design possibilities. I'm leaning toward a preset low end voltage in software since I think there are only two battery lines and it seems unlikely they'd try to encode an AC waveform over the battery voltage to communicate anything, but stranger things have happened. Trump got elected... ;-)

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-19-2019 at 01:14 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #20
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm assuming *CRINGE* that you didn't upgrade the firmware or perform any other jiggery-pokery prior to the problem surfacing? Absolutely no patches, customizations, Satanic, Wiccan, Druidic, Labour Party, Democratic Party, Republican Party, Freemasons, Shriners, or even ecumenical rituals, etc... ;-)

One other thought if it continues to happen might be to wipe the ereader, remove all books and test for a day or so after fully charging, or perhaps charging/discharging for a cycle or two, then add a book you know you read before having the issue and see what happens... I'd do this with Wifi/Sync off and see how it behaves. It never hurts to strip something down to the bones if there are simply too many variables to account for and you can manage to do so without great heartache. It often gets rid of a lot of possibilities unlikely to be causing the problem, but likely to be wasting a lot of effort to eliminate them. If you can build it back up step by step while testing you may just find the culprit.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoyed the humor. We can often do with a bit when frustrated while troubleshooting something...

Personally, my money is on the somewhat trippy fuel gauge on the eReaders which occasionally requires a swift kick by running it empty and then full so it can reclaim a zero(not sure it really gets one as it's likely hardcoded to shut down at a minimum voltage, but it may shut down due to a minimum voltage defined by hardware in the battery pack signaling the battery's eminent demise with an interrupt line while noting the minimum recorded voltage measured by an A/D converter) and top off point as my guess is that it may simply note top end voltage and extrapolates or interpolates, if you prefer, to scale that range to 100% with a predefined minimum voltage that serves to cause low power screen shutdown. I have no evidence of either way that I can think of, but both represent the two likeliest design possibilities. I'm leaning toward a preset low end voltage in software since I think there are only two battery lines and it seems unlikely they'd try to encode an AC waveform over the battery voltage to communicate anything, but stranger things have happened. Trump got elected... ;-)
Ha, yeah Im currently in the middle of what you suggest, running the battery down and charging to 100% for a couple of cycles, only problem is I left it plugged in for 48 hours after letting it run flat and it wouldn't budge past 99%. It currently seems to be losing about 10-15% charge per day. Doesn't seem to lose anything while Im reading, maybe 1% an hour. Not ideal but bearable while I investigate.

It was synced and updated the day I bought it 3 years ago on initial setup, since then no updates, wi-fi permanently off, no rooting, no experimentation, no patches, nothing of any kind, just sending epubs over USB with Calibre and reading and charging as normal whenever it got to 40% or so with the original charger that came with it.

It just one day decided to stop connecting to any pc (device failed/not installed error), charging slowly, discharging ridiculously fast. The new battery seems to have improved things a bit but its still losing 10-15% overnight while asleep (well it says its sleeping).

The plan now is a few charging cycles to see if the meter re-calibrates, if that doesnt work Ill put the original battery back in, factory reset it and try it with one book at a time, Ill actually reread a couple of books I read previously that I know never caused any bother. If that doesnt work Ill try it again with the new battery, after that Ill buy another reader.

I cancelled the Kindle Oasis that Id ordered out of frustration when I heard you couldnt set the cover of your current book as the screensaver, thats a dealbreaker for me...
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Crap, I thought it was doing okay, it had dropped to 40% after light usage for the last 5 days, terrible performance compared to what it was but I was starting to think it might be the battery meter being a bit iffy but today I came home and it was completely dead so it barely made 5 days from a full charge.

Ill give it one more chance on a full charge overnight then Ill try factory reset and one book at a time that I know never gave any trouble in the past.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #22
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Fully charged overnight to 100% yesterday, down to 85% today.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Dropped to 65% after 2 days where I only read about 5 pages of the latest Expanse novel, so I factory reset and charged it to 100% with no books loaded. If the battery drops again Ill give up and buy a new reader.

Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #24
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
frostschutz's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,103
Karma: 4876530
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Stop looking at the % and charge it whenever you don't read?

I know they're advertized as "runs weeks on a single charge" but... well, so far it hasn't been true for any eReader I owned, so... even my Kindle (which I don't use at all) runs out of battery all the time (can't turn it off...).

In the end it's normal to charge them regularly and connecting to a charger is only natural...

If it can't sustain even a few hours of reading that'd be a different matter but not clear to me if that is the case for you ("dropped to 65% after 2 days" sounds like there is plenty of charging opportunities)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:02 AM   #25
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
FrustratedReader's Avatar
 
Posts: 608
Karma: 2186878
Join Date: Jun 2017
Device: Various
If only ANY phone in day long use even lasted 2 days.
65% in two days if not being used is terrible.
65% if reading 10 hours a day for two days is very usable.
Is light off and WiFi off?
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #26
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Stop looking at the % and charge it whenever you don't read?

I know they're advertized as "runs weeks on a single charge" but... well, so far it hasn't been true for any eReader I owned, so... even my Kindle (which I don't use at all) runs out of battery all the time (can't turn it off...).

In the end it's normal to charge them regularly and connecting to a charger is only natural...

If it can't sustain even a few hours of reading that'd be a different matter but not clear to me if that is the case for you ("dropped to 65% after 2 days" sounds like there is plenty of charging opportunities)
Yeah but the whole point of this thread is that the battery suddenly started draining really quickly, dead in 4-5 days even with zero use, then I bought a new battery and its behaving the exact same way, Im trying to diagnose a problem here.

Its not acceptable to me to wake up in the morning and find an ereader has dropped 20% overnight and could be completely dead in 4 days sometimes.

Then again Im having to use wifi workarounds or disassembling the device just to get books on it since usb stopped working on any pc I try so maybe Ill just give up and try a different device.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PeterT's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,586
Karma: 60968805
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you thought that there might be a link between the non functioning USB port and the battery drain? Maybe a short between some of the connections inside the port?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glo HD Can I test a dead Glo HD battery with a regular Glo battery? kitkat8 Kobo Reader 12 06-08-2019 12:35 AM
Glo Kobo Glo N613 - Faulty battery symptoms and battery retrofit/replacement Plato1980 Kobo Reader 0 03-17-2019 09:51 AM
Glo Battery Replacement for Kobo Glo dakini Kobo Reader 0 08-19-2018 11:55 AM
Kobo Glo HD Replacement Boston Which one should I buy? 14 12-15-2016 05:49 AM
Glo Anyone know where I can buy a replacement screen for my glo, or a dead glo? yochaigal Kobo Reader 10 02-04-2014 10:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.