Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #256
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
lkmiller's Avatar
 
Posts: 813
Karma: 10828846
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
For Nook, Overdrive library books (or any epubs with Adobe DRM) can be sideloaded once you've put your Adobe ID into the Nook's settings. Since I sideload everything to my Nook, it would be just as easy as every other book I read on there. Although I haven't bothered since I have a Kobo.

The current Kobos are completely seamless. Once you've set up your library info on the Kobo, then it's just like shopping for Kobo books. You can use the Kobo itself. Or if you check out Overdrive books on your library's website/app, then the books are available on your Kobo next time you sync.

For Kindles, I believe you check out through your library's website and then choose the option to send to your Kindle. So it may be a tiny bit less seamless than Kobo. Although I like to browse on my library's Overdrive website rather than on the Kobo itself anyway. So for me it would be essentially the same.

My library also has cloudLibrary ebooks. Those use Adobe DRM and need to be downloaded with the cloudLibrary app. You can then sideload them to either Nook or Kobo devices.

Last edited by lkmiller; 07-10-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Ugh -- I threw in a couple random apostrophes and didn't realize until I was quoted.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #257
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
lkmiller's Avatar
 
Posts: 813
Karma: 10828846
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Yeah, that totally sounds something most people should be doing when they borrow a book from the library.

Again, most of my reading is from Overdrive. I'm borrowing books from the library, why shouldn't I favor the most convenient process?

But congratulations to you if you enjoy jumping through hoops.
Yeah, that's only if you want to remove B&N DRM, not for library books. And a one time thing only needed in the last few months if you didn't already have your B&N key. Definitely not something most B&N Nook users would ever even encounter, let alone a hoop they need to jump through for library books.

But, yeah, Overdrive library books are definitely easier on Kindles and even more so on Kobos.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #258
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue
 
Posts: 29
Karma: 13124
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New York
Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
My library also has cloudLibrary ebooks. Those use Adobe DRM and need to be downloaded with the cloudLibrary app. You can then sideload them to either Nook or Kobo devices.
Sorry to jump in here but lkmiller have you had success using your library’s Overdrive and Cloud Library on the same device? My library also splits their ebooks between the two and I have recurring issues with my older Kobo doing this through ADE. I previously thought about getting a newer kobo with built in OD to try and solve it, and now am thinking again about it, now that they’re so easily available via Walmart.
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #259
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,511
Karma: 28575390
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
Sorry to jump in here but lkmiller have you had success using your library’s Overdrive and Cloud Library on the same device? My library also splits their ebooks between the two and I have recurring issues with my older Kobo doing this through ADE. I previously thought about getting a newer kobo with built in OD to try and solve it, and now am thinking again about it, now that they’re so easily available via Walmart.
Excuse me for jumping in...

I was able to use Overdrive and CloudLibrary under Windows 7; Under Windows 10, I cannot.

I'm not sure what that it is Win 7 vs 10, or different applications versions. I am using ADE 2 on both.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #260
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rcentros's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,696
Karma: 24277080
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
For Nook, Overdrive library books (or any epubs with Adobe DRM) can be sideloaded once you've put your Adobe ID into the Nook's settings. Since I sideload everything to my Nook, it would be just as easy as every other book I read on there. Although I haven't bothered since I have a Kobo.
That's right, I forgot that the Nook has the ability to use your Adobe login right on the device. So, if Barnes & Noble gave you access to a browser you could download the Overdrive book directly to the Nook like you can and (could/can?) with Sony T2, T3? I don't have a Nook here with me, but if I understand you correctly, I would just have to download the Overdrive book to my computer and side-load it to the Nook? Would that work without ADE on the computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The current Kobo's are completely seamless. Once you've set up your library info on the Kobo, then it's just like shopping for Kobo books. You can use the Kobo itself. Or if you check out Overdrive books on your library's website/app, then the books are available on your Kobo next time you sync.
Sometimes I'm half tempted to buy the $70 Aura 2 at Walmart just to try out that feature, but I've got enough eReaders already (especially after I pick up the Nook Glowlight Plus — 2015 edition).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
For Kindle's, I believe you check out through your library's website and then choose the option to send to your Kindle. So it may be a tiny bit less seamless than Kobo. Although I like to browse on my library's Overdrive website rather than on the Kobo itself anyway. So for me it would be essentially the same.
Kindles are really simple. You can even borrow the book with the experimental browser (if you have the patience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
My library also has cloudLibrary ebooks. Those use Adobe DRM and need to be downloaded with the cloudLibrary app. You can then sideload them to either Nook or Kobo devices.
I haven't seen that yet. I'm guessing the cloudLibrary app wouldn't work on Linux.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #261
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
lkmiller's Avatar
 
Posts: 813
Karma: 10828846
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
Sorry to jump in here but lkmiller have you had success using your library’s Overdrive and Cloud Library on the same device? My library also splits their ebooks between the two and I have recurring issues with my older Kobo doing this through ADE. I previously thought about getting a newer kobo with built in OD to try and solve it, and now am thinking again about it, now that they’re so easily available via Walmart.
Yes, I have the cloudLibrary app authorized with the same Adobe ID that I use for Adobe Digital Editions. However, I've found that I cannot have both apps authorized with my Adobe ID on the same computer. Authorizing one will mess up the authorization of the other. So I have the cloudLibrary app on my laptop and ADE on my desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Excuse me for jumping in...

I was able to use Overdrive and CloudLibrary under Windows 7; Under Windows 10, I cannot.

I'm not sure what that it is Win 7 vs 10, or different applications versions. I am using ADE 2 on both.
I have ADE 2 on a Windows 8 desktop and the cloudLibrary app on a Windows 7 laptop. I haven't been able to have them both authorized with my Adobe ID on the same machine at the same time, Windows 8 or 7. I haven't tried with Windows 10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's right, I forgot that the Nook has the ability to use your Adobe login right on the device. So, if Barnes & Noble gave you access to a browser you could download the Overdrive book directly to the Nook like you can and (could/can?) with Sony T2, T3? I don't have a Nook here with me, but if I understand you correctly, I would just have to download the Overdrive book to my computer and side-load it to the Nook? Would that work without ADE on the computer?
I haven't ever tried downloading Overdrive books directly to a Nook, and I don't know if you can get to the web browser on the 2019 Nook Plus without root.

I use ADE to download Overdrive books to my PC. If you have another way to download the Overdrive EPUBs and have them connected to your Adobe ID, then you wouldn't need ADE. But, at least on stock unrooted 2019 Nook Plus, you won't see an ACSM file. But once you have the EPUB on your computer, you can just copy the file over to the Nook drive without needing to transfer it via the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I haven't seen that yet. I'm guessing the cloudLibrary app wouldn't work on Linux.
Yeah, they have PC, Mac, iOS, and Android apps. No idea if you could run the PC app under Wine. You have to make sure you set it up to use your existing Adobe ID otherwise it generates one for you. I imagine only the PC and Mac apps let you actually set a specific Adobe ID.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #262
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,511
Karma: 28575390
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
...
I have ADE 2 on a Windows 8 desktop and the cloudLibrary app on a Windows 7 laptop. I haven't been able to have them both authorized with my Adobe ID on the same machine at the same time, Windows 8 or 7. I haven't tried with Windows 10.

...
Just to be clear, this is the behavior I am seeing, except I'm using Win 10 and 7.

Although on Win 7 I was able to install and use both on the same machine.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #263
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
silverraven's Avatar
 
Posts: 927
Karma: 2517120
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yes, I have the cloudLibrary app authorized with the same Adobe ID that I use for Adobe Digital Editions. However, I've found that I cannot have both apps authorized with my Adobe ID on the same computer. Authorizing one will mess up the authorization of the other. .
Same here! I am running Win7. I gave up on cloudLibrary until I can get another computer to use just it, no Overdrive. I'm not sure cloudLibary is worth it for me. Oh, and this just happened with the latest update to the cloudLibrary app. Before I had no issues having both on my computer.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #264
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
lkmiller's Avatar
 
Posts: 813
Karma: 10828846
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Same here! I am running Win7. I gave up on cloudLibrary until I can get another computer to use just it, no Overdrive. I'm not sure cloudLibary is worth it for me. Oh, and this just happened with the latest update to the cloudLibrary app. Before I had no issues having both on my computer.
S
Maybe it is the latest update then. I only started using cloudLibrary a few months ago. Although I remember having the same issue trying to use Bluefire on a computer where I already had ADE.

Even though it's kind of a pain, I'm glad to have access to cloudLibrary. Not only for the added selection, but also less of a need to put things on hold. I think the only time I've had to wait for a cloudLibrary book was for something that was "coming soon" -- sort of like a pre-order. I don't know if it's just because less people have started using cloudLibrary or if it's because of a more flexible allowance for libraries through them. I do hope my library sticks with Overdrive though because it's so much easier with my Kobo.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Glowlight 3 Screen Protectors? billsfan2 Barnes & Noble NOOK 9 01-23-2018 11:22 PM
Nook Glowlight Plus Screen Issue - Scratched? palooka33 Barnes & Noble NOOK 4 09-03-2017 07:06 AM
New Barnes and Noble "Nook Glowlight Plus" announced! cerem0ny News 87 11-10-2015 12:03 PM
Touch Nook Glowlight Poll: Have you experienced screen defects? Rizla Barnes & Noble NOOK 46 08-14-2015 04:08 AM
Nook simple touch with glowlight detected as "nook color" alfred.s Devices 1 09-15-2012 11:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.