Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Need your help: screenshots from your e-reader

Hello everyone. I've attached a PDF file where I'd very much appreciate it if people could load it onto their e-reader and post screenshots of the two pages as displayed on their reader, without zooming. I only need one post per device type, so make sure your device hasn't already been posted. I have attached example screenshots from my Kindle 2. This will really help me (and maybe others) get precise viewable PDF screen dimensions for the readers for software applications. If moderators want to move this to the PDF thread, that's okay, but I wanted to put it here to hopefully get a little more viewing. I am particularly interested in newer device types (e.g. Kindle Voyage).

You can see how to get kindle screenshots, for example, from here:
http://lifehacker.com/take-screensho...ice-1522639097

Apologies if somebody has done something like this already--just point me to the thread.

Thanks for your help.

PS. Karma to anyone who posts a screen shot! (That's about all I can offer!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-30462.gif
Views:	1374
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	133032   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-30463.gif
Views:	1409
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	133033  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf testfile.pdf (22.7 KB, 1365 views)

Last edited by willus; 12-27-2014 at 07:28 PM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to ask what good is a screen shot? it's going to look about the same on different devices with the same screen size and resolution. It won't show you anything about the devices screen.

For example, a screenshot from, the new Kindle Touch Basic will look almost the same as it would on a Sony Reader PRS-505 even though these devices were made a long time apart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the screen shots from my Kindle 2. They show exactly what the Kindle 2 viewable resolution is (560 x 734 pixels). Presumably the screen shot from a Kindle Voyage would be a higher resolution GIF or PNG file, showing a viewable region that I'd expect would be roughly 1000 x 1300 pixels. I want to know, to the pixel, what these values are. I can figure this out by precisely rubber-banding the checkerboard region on the screen shot.

Last edited by willus; 12-27-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I just can't get the hang of screenshots on a Voyage. I did manage to get page2, attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2014_12_27T16_39_14-0800.png
Views:	1318
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	133047  
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
What does " get precise viewable PDF screen dimensions for the readers for software applications" actually mean? and what does it mean for you?

Just curious what you're trying accomplish here, specifically...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM, where it does not belong.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here are screenshots from my Kobo Glo (firmware version 3.12.0). I had to seperate the pdf into two files to display the second page properly, as the Kobo pdf reader doesn't seem to like pdfs where the paper size changes part way through.

Edit: The second set of screenshots shows the pdf in full-screen reading mode. (There is a footer at the bottom of the page that takes up a bit of room in normal reading mode, usually there would be a page number shown in the footer of the first two screenshots but as the seperated pdfs only have one page each no page number is shown.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	1269
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	133048   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	1305
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	133049   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	1248
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	133050   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	1225
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	133051  

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-27-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Attached full-screen mode screenshots
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sorry, I just realised that a patch I have to reduce the epub footer size on my Glo affects the footer in the pdf reader too, so the first set of screenshots in the post above won't be typical. (The full-screen shots will be the same on all Glos though.) I never read pdfs on my Glo, so I'm not very familiar with the pdf reader.

Now that I know that the footer size in the pdf reader is the same as in the epub reader, it is easy to calculate the viewable area for pdfs on all current (unpatched) Kobo models:
Code:
 Model    Full-screen mode   Normal mode
-------   ----------------   -----------
Touch         600x800          600x730
Mini          600x800          600x730
Glo           758x1024         758x942
Aura SD       758x1014         758x932
Aura HD      1080x1440        1080x1320
H2O          1080x1429        1080x1309
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Sorry, I just realised that a patch I have to reduce the epub footer size on my Glo affects the footer in the pdf reader too, so the first set of screenshots in the post above won't be typical. (The full-screen shots will be the same on all Glos though.) I never read pdfs on my Glo, so I'm not very familiar with the pdf reader.

Now that I know that the footer size in the pdf reader is the same as in the epub reader, it is easy to calculate the viewable area for pdfs on all current (unpatched) Kobo models:
Code:
Then you look at the resolution of just the image on the Voyage screen grab, it comes out to be 852x1365.

I'll have to try this later on my H2O to see what resolution I get as I have a very small footer defined with almost no space wasted above the footer.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I just can't get the hang of screenshots on a Voyage. I did manage to get page2, attached.
Thank you! I have attached a test file where the pages are switched. If you can get page 2 of this file also, that would be much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf testfile_switched.pdf (22.2 KB, 1228 views)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
What does " get precise viewable PDF screen dimensions for the readers for software applications" actually mean? and what does it mean for you?

Just curious what you're trying accomplish here, specifically...
Knowing the precise viewing resolution allows the generation of bitmapped PDFs that exactly match the viewing screen, pixel for pixel, so that they don't have to be re-sized by the reader.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Code:
Very helpful! Thank you for educating me about Kobo models.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then you look at the resolution of just the image on the Voyage screen grab, it comes out to be 852x1365.

I'll have to try this later on my H2O to see what resolution I get as I have a very small footer defined with almost no space wasted above the footer.
FYI, you have to look at both screen shots. The 852 pixels doesn't mean anything because that checkerboard is taller than it is wide, so the reader is fitting it to the maximum viewable pixel height. The other image is wider than it is tall, so it fits to the maximum viewable pixel width of the device.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Please find attached the screenshots taken with my Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KindlePW2_1.png
Views:	951
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	133091   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindlePW2_2.png
Views:	990
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	133092  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here are the two screenshots from my Kobo Aura H2O.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	984
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	133118   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	932
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	133119  

Tags