Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #61
martinmach
Junior fish
martinmach began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story
well mine does not freeze, but it has been only a day

Edit:

yes it does freeze particularly after rotating it into landscape mode. but it works after switching it off and on again

Last edited by martinmach; 01-10-2010 at 01:57 PM.
martinmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #62
Skeleton
Skeleton began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
New Firmware of iriver-story (version 1.60) ... on Iriver Worldwide (Support/Download),
The way of how to change iriver-story font ... on Iriver Worldwide (Support/FAQ).
Goodluck!
Skeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #63
T3_reader
Enthusiast
T3_reader began at the beginning.

Device: IPad & Android phone
Some additional questions

The iRiver Story price has dropped to 250 euro in Belgium, which makes it worth considering. I cannot find the manual of this device and hope someone can provide answers to the following questions:

1. There seems to be dictionary support but it is unclear to me if the device comes with an English dictionary. If so, which one?

2. Can you install multiple dictionaries?

3. Can you have multiple books open at the same time, with an easy way of switching between the books?

4. How is the typography? I played around with a few ebook readers recently and was horrified to discover that the Bebook on display in the shop had rather weird spacing between the characters, making all 'z' characters stand out a little. It also put the 'i' and 'j' in the Dutch 'ij' stand too close together.

5. Any comments on using Calibre to upload RSS-feeds to the Story?
T3_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #64
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3_reader View Post
1. There seems to be dictionary support but it is unclear to me if the device comes with an English dictionary. If so, which one?
No english to english directory yet, only english to korean, perhaps in later release. The dictionary comes in one .ms file; the format seems proprietary to me.

Quote:
2. Can you install multiple dictionaries?
Yes, the device and software support multiple dictionaries.

Quote:
3. Can you have multiple books open at the same time, with an easy way of switching between the books?
No.
The device saves your progress in a book, and you can switch between your latest-read books within 3 button clicks.

Quote:
4. How is the typography? I played around with a few ebook readers recently and was horrified to discover that the Bebook on display in the shop had rather weird spacing between the characters, making all 'z' characters stand out a little. It also put the 'i' and 'j' in the Dutch 'ij' stand too close together.
No problems with the typography for me.

Quote:
5. Any comments on using Calibre to upload RSS-feeds to the Story?
RSS feeds are not supported from the device. With calibre you produce a readable document from the feeds (epub, word, pdf, fb2, whatever) and copy it to the device.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #65
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaak View Post
No english to english directory yet, only english to korean, perhaps in later release. The dictionary comes in one .ms file; the format seems proprietary to me.
With the current firmware, how do you access the dictionary (eng -> korean)? Is the .ms included in the firmware?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 AM   #66
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
With the current firmware, how do you access the dictionary (eng -> korean)? Is the .ms included in the firmware?
Whilst reading a book, there are two ways to access the dictionary:
- press 'Search' button an input field pops up and you can type the word to look up
- press 'Option'->'Dictionary' and then you can select a word in the current page for lookup

I found a link from iriver.co.kr and downloaded the en-korean dictionary; I placed the .ms file in the root directory and the device installed it exactly as in firmware upgrades. Then I deleted it (as I do not speak korean) and, unfortunately, it's not anymore available.

Bottom line, the device is ready for dictionary from a software point of view. But, I suppose dictionaries are not free, and iriver has to work out a way to include them in the story, even if customers have to buy them.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #67
wonderiuy
wonderiuy began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
here's the new 1.61 firmware:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6EYQAC2
wonderiuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #68
martinmach
Junior fish
martinmach began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story
the new firmware does not open some pdfs, did anyone face this?
martinmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #69
AJP
AJP began at the beginning.

No I haven't mentioned any problem with my PDFs.

Good news - 1.61 finally solved problem with loaned books. Now it is possible to read DRM's with "a timebomb", at least ones available in Sweden.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #70
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Is there anyway to go back to firmware v1.50? I've noticed that the default font set appears kind of strange after I upgraded to v1.60 and v1.61. The fonts seem to degrade after viewing. Upon careful inspection, some letters appear uneven on the screen, something you might get with an ole type-writer.

I'm not sure, but it could be a hardware problem. I can't find v1.50 on iriver's site now. Sigh..
Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #71
fireforce
iRiver Story
fireforce began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
No I haven't mentioned any problem with my PDFs.

Good news - 1.61 finally solved problem with loaned books. Now it is possible to read DRM's with "a timebomb", at least ones available in Sweden.
Yes!!!! Confirmed!!! I can now read books borrowed from my local library here in Singapore!!!!

Firmware 1.61 Rocks!!!!!
fireforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #72
Bluecloud
Bluecloud began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story
What kind of performance are you getting out of your Iriver Story batteries?

In the information on this device it says that you should be able to read 7000-9000 pages before having to recharge your battery, but I'm only getting something like 300 pages before I have to recharge mine.

I don't know if the fact that I often let it go into pause mode makes a difference, but it shouldn't.
Bluecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #73
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecloud View Post
What kind of performance are you getting out of your Iriver Story batteries?

In the information on this device it says that you should be able to read 7000-9000 pages before having to recharge your battery, but I'm only getting something like 300 pages before I have to recharge mine.

I don't know if the fact that I often let it go into pause mode makes a difference, but it shouldn't.
It's true. The iRiver Story's battery doesn't last long. Even if you turn it off completely when you stop reading, the power doesn't get extended by too much.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #74
Bluecloud
Bluecloud began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story
I just read on Irivers own homepage that the battery time would give you 3-4 hours of reading a day for a week. (Seems just about right). How they calculate that to be 9000 pages is a mystery to me...

I'm a fast reader but 9000 ?????
Bluecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #75
holleboom
holleboom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecloud View Post
I just read on Irivers own homepage that the battery time would give you 3-4 hours of reading a day for a week. (Seems just about right). How they calculate that to be 9000 pages is a mystery to me...

I'm a fast reader but 9000 ?????
Perhaps it only applies to reading comics.... clever marketing!
holleboom is offline   Reply With Quote