Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
One odd thing about Craft for a Dry Lake is how few Goodreads ratings (31) and reviews (6) it has, for a book that seems well known in Australia, has a few different literary awards and even has its own Audible version. If you think about it, 31 seems about the amount of people who needed to read it to judge it for various awards, so what gives? Where are its readers at? Do you even have Goodreads in Australia, Bookpossum?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Wow! Tough choices.

2 for Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee
2 for The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad
1 forCraft for a Dry Lake by Kim Mahood
1 for The Renaissance by Walter Pater
1 for The House of Medici by Christopher Hibbert
1 for A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Truth be told, I'll be happy with whatever book wins.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 12:58 AM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
One odd thing about Craft for a Dry Lake is how few Goodreads ratings (31) and reviews (6) it has, for a book that seems well known in Australia, has a few different literary awards and even has its own Audible version. If you think about it, 31 seems about the amount of people who needed to read it to judge it for various awards, so what gives? Where are its readers at? Do you even have Goodreads in Australia, Bookpossum?
My guess is that it has probably been read mostly by Australians and maybe not a huge number of them are on Goodreads - don't know! I only heard of it after I had joined MR. What an insular lot we are! (Except that we are a continent rather than an island - we used to be called both but not any longer.)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #19
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
Wow! Tough choices.

2 for The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad
1 forCraft for a Dry Lake by Kim Mahood

Truth be told, I'll be happy with whatever book wins.
Welcome to the Club, Poppa1956!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Nice to see you here! I'm counting this as one vote for The Renaissance though you can post again to give it another vote as well, if you want (you can give each nomination up to two votes, and you have up to eight votes total this month to use).

Make it two, then!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This list is fantastic! It was really difficult to decide.

1 for The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad
2 for The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I give another vote to The Year of Magical Thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Welcome to the Club, Poppa1956!
Yes, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Make it two, then!
Done!
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll give two votes to The Renaissance
And
Two for Cider With Rosie
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

With about a day and a half left for voting, The Renaissance is maintaining a slight lead but Cider with Rosie is nipping at its heels and a few others are within range too. At present every nomination has a different number of votes, and if we had one more nomination with eight votes we'd have the complete spectrum of 1-10.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Two votes apiece for:

the Lees-Milne Diaries
A Room of One's Own
Cider with Rosie
The House of Medici

I've had the Lees-Milne on my reader for quite some time and would love to get to it, but I'm thinking it's a no-hoper.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nice to see everyone that's here this month. Voting is over and Cider with Rosie won in a squeaker! Bookpossum will have the discussion thread up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've had the Lees-Milne on my reader for quite some time and would love to get to it, but I'm thinking it's a no-hoper.
I was surprised it got so little support this month but maybe that's partly due to its length.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

It looks good but my library was totally unhelpful and I'm being cautious with spending funds at the moment while I save up for a new camera lens!

I read Cider with Rosie many years ago and remember it and other books by Laurie Lee very fondly, so shall enjoy revisiting it.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 03-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It looks good but my library was totally unhelpful and I'm being cautious with spending funds at the moment while I save up for a new camera lens!

I read Cider with Rosie many years ago and remember it and other books by Laurie Lee very fondly, so shall enjoy revisiting it.
Sorry to hear that your library is not helpful at finding a copy. Since you've already read the book, maybe there is an audiobook or movie version that is available as an alternative. My library didn't have the book, but it had a BBC Radio 4 cast dramatization that I may borrow for fun after I've read the book.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 AM   #29
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Ah sorry, I wasn't being clear - I was referring to the diaries. I have my own copy of Cider with Rosie so no problem there!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Sorry folks - got distracted with a big family celebration (a 90th birthday party plus interstate family members staying with us) and forgot to get the discussion thread up. Hope I don't get the sack!

You can find the thread here

Last edited by Bookpossum; 03-10-2017 at 07:35 PM.