Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
hyperN
hyperN began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some questions about Kindle before buying

Hi, I'm planning to buy kindle basic model, and I have few questions.

Can Kindle be jailbroken / rooted and what do I get from jailbreaking it?

I'm interested in reading comics and manga, and I understand it is done by using Mangle, but what if comics are in color, is conversion any good ? And should I worry about dimensions of pictures in comics or mangle takes care of it ?

Does this offer (link) include all Kindles or only Kindle basic ? And I don't have Rewards Visa card so can my friend buy it for me and check option buy as gift and still get discount ?

Thanks in advance for answers =)
hyperN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
As far as comics go... I've seen some color comics show up really great in the black & white that the Kindle pretty much does, and I've seen it look really terrible. With the comics I've put on mine, I usually just stick to black & white ones (like The Walking Dead) so that I already know how it's going to look.

I haven't really used Mangle much, I just used Calibre to "convert" them and ship them off to my Kindle. So, hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperN View Post
Does this offer (link) include all Kindles or only Kindle basic ? And I don't have Rewards Visa card so can my friend buy it for me and check option buy as gift and still get discount ?
I don't have any special information about this. But according to the page you referenced, the offer applies only to the basic Kindle and the Kindle with Special Offers (plus a range of covers and cases).

There's nothing in the terms & conditions that prevents a friend from buying it on your behalf. When it arrives, it will be registered to the person who bought it, but he can then de-register it, and you can then register it to yourself.

If you decide to take this route, don't hang around. The offer expires 15 August.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the person buys it as a gift, it won't be registered to them when it shows up.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
hyperN
hyperN began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very much for your answers =)
hyperN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Someone had mentioned elsewhere that you don't actually need the specific Amazon Rewards Visa card -- that a normal one will do. Is this wishful thinking?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I bought a kindle a little over a year ago and I had never heard of an Amazon Rewards Visa before, although it does not suprise me one bit. Everyone offers a credit card these days. A did have to register a credit card on the kindle, although it was not by any means an Amazon card.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
No you're misunderstanding the context: until August 15 Amazon is running a special on the K4 NT SO, for just $49, IF you hold an Amazon Rewards Visa card. But someone said elsewhere in this forum that a normal Visa card would also work -- hence my question.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
until August 15 Amazon is running a special on the K4 NT SO, for just $49, IF you hold an Amazon Rewards Visa card. But someone said elsewhere in this forum that a normal Visa card would also work -- hence my question.
According to the terms & conditions:

Offer must be redeemed through the Amazon.com shopping cart using your Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card as your payment method.

The whole point of the offer is to promote the Rewards card. With that in mind, I can't see why they would accept any other card.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote