Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face

I find myself a little bemused by this thread really.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but, for me, it goes against everything that reading means to me..........

What relationship the number of pages/books one reads has to the enjoyment/information/experiences to be gained from the pursuit of reading, is quite beyond me.
If I find a subject I want to find out more about, I may read 6 books over a couple of months - sometimes because they're really big (!) sometimes 'cos they cover complex issues, and need careful consideration.
On the other hand, I may hit on an author I click with, and I could race through 6 books in a couple of weeks (ie the George Martin 5, recently).

I can what is rather grandly described as speed-read if necessary, but I rarely use it if at all possible.
And I am not suggesting that my approach is any more "righteous" (!) than the target-led method.........

I suppose I look on my reading as a leisurely family meal (rather like memorable ones in France) or perhaps an Irish wake - where the end is relatively irrelevant, but the company and the getting there is all-important !

Of course, it may be a hang-over from childhood, when I was always told/nagged "don't rush your food, you never know where the next meals coming from."

(Not desperately logical, but it fooled me, I suppose.............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #17
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
carpetmojo, I think the purpose was to tease people into reading by estabilishing a goal. It succeded in this. I'm certainly not rushing through the books and certainly am enjoying reading much more than the prospect of getting a medal at the end of it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
carpetmojo, I think the purpose was to tease people into reading by estabilishing a goal. It succeded in this. I'm certainly not rushing through the books and certainly am enjoying reading much more than the prospect of getting a medal at the end of it.
You are exactly right. The challenge is to encourage reading! It is so easy to be distracted by other things, and to forget one of the basic joys in life...a good book.
When I was younger I read all of the time. I read to escape, I read to pass the time, I read to be alone, I read to have a friend, and sometimes I actually read for knowledge. I could check out 10 books and actually have them all read in the allotted 2 week period....but for me, that is practically unheard of now. So I joined the challenge (and the book clubs) to get back to reading, and I'm tracking what I've read just to see how I'm doing.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
to everything you just said
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Right now, I'm only a quarter of the way through. Partially it is me, because the books I picked to read are like a 1000 pages each (The Lord of the Rings books are the shortest on my TBR list right now), part of it is because haven't had as much opportunity to read (Normally fulltime work and fulltime student hasn't caused big limitations on my reading, but between moving, and having mandatory overtime (11 hour days, and they're even forcing us in on the weekends, yay!). Usually the books I read are in the 300 page range, which last year read 160. I think I'll be able to pick up and get back on track. Years only half over.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've finished 109 books so far this year. I read about 160 in 2010, and it looks like I'm on track for 200 this year.

If I keep this rate up, I'll be getting to the end of my TBR pile mid-2013! Well, if I don't buy any more books before then, and that seems most unlikely....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5

'ang on, 'ang on - I didn't realise there was a medal at the end of it.

Plinky, plonky, discordant tinkle of ivory keys......

[ Me possibly changing my toon......? ]

Last edited by carpetmojo; 07-02-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: missed a bit...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I like these kinds of challenges they are fun and help me keep track of what I have read. i have always been a consistent reader, but until getting an ereader never kept track of the books I have read.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No as I've only read 36 books so far, so it's unlikely that I'll reach 100. However I will make my secondary goal which is to read more books than I read last year (49).
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've almost finished my 71st book of the year, so I'm 20/21 books ahead of schedule. However, I know that in November and December I won't be able to read as much since those are the two busiest months of the year and I'll help out in the store more often. I've read several short(er) stories but since I also read several 600-800 page books I figured the length of the average book I read is still well over 150 pages long.

Although I've set 100 as my goal I was more interested to see how many books I would read in a year. I figured my average is about 2 books a week, a bit more in summer and less in winter so a 100 book goal seemed reasonable.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #26
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
-hides- Compared to all the lofty goals set by everyone else, I feel like a kid. My goal this year is to read 12 new books (1 new book per month; does not count re-reading books in my collection). However, I think I've overshot my goal. By this time I've read at least fifteen or more books, I lost track after that.

I always forget to count the books I've read.

So yeah, I guess I've overshot my goal.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #27
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My other goal -- apart from about 1 book a week -- is to post a review of each book. By review I mean a paragraph or two that sums up the story and my impressions. Most of these I have posted here in Reading Recommendations or over at Goodreads. These "reviews" are generally nothing elaborate but a bit more than "I loved it" -- enough to give a flavour to someone else to pique their interest.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #28
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Not even close for me, but better than in years past.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
My other goal -- apart from about 1 book a week -- is to post a review of each book.
I think I would have read more by now had I not been posting a review for every book as well My reviews are several paragraphs, in general.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #30
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Read 52 so far and a third of the way through the 53rd. I reckon I am on track currently.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote