Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
FWIW, I get most of my books from the U.S. Amazon store, and I'm pretty Victoria has access to a U.S. store as well. So don't let Canadian availability be a concern.

Charlie.
I wish that were true for me too Charlie, but unfortunately it isn’t. US Amazon knows I’m Canadian and only lets me see and buy books that are available in Canada.

Last edited by Victoria; 10-03-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #32
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I am absolutely gobsmacked.

I've been toying with making a second nomination depending on how things go. I thought Fifth Business by the greatest of all Canadian authors, Robertson Davies, (Margaret who?) would fit. I read it decades ago and loved it and have planned to reread it eventually, as I have his other two trilogies in the past few years. And, it's cheap here; only $1.99.

It's not available in Australia! Or the UK, which I always check for price comparison purposes. It continues to shock when great authors aren't universally published in Anglophone countries, but I do bump into it, as we all do with nominations here. Well, so much for that.
Issybird I’m double gobsmacked! Fifth Business was my first choice and ran into the same problem. What are the odds?!! Mind you, Davies does fit the theme like a glove.

I think you can make a very strong case for Davies as our greatest author. He’s our ‘man of letters’. But many will argue the title belongs to Margaret Lawrence. I love Davies, and it’s close, but if I had to choose just one, she’d get my nod. (PS: Was your “Margaret who” Atwood or Lawrence? )

Last edited by Victoria; 10-03-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I’m double gobsmacked! Fifth Business was my first choice and ran into the same problem. What are the odds?!! Mind you, Davies does fit the theme like a glove.
Hah! Great minds. What a pity. But if our Aussies can't find a way around it, there we are. I know Bookpossum doesn't mind reading pbooks from the library, but that might not be an option for gmw. I don't mind it myself, when it's the cheapest option, but I suspect we're in the minority. And Fifth Business is so cheap in the US. Only $1.99! (And highly recommended to my fellow Yanks in any case.)

So, whom do you consider to be the greatest Canadian author? I've already gone on record with Davies.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #34
Victoria
Wizard

Objectively, I suppose the title belongs to Atwood. But her work isn’t particularly ’Canadian’. I guess she’s ok

My personal favourite for the title is Margaret Lawrence, with Davies a very close second. But W.O. Mitchell, Alice Munro, and Mordecai Richler have given us wonderful portraits of the country too.

(PS: I have to mention Carol Shields, but admit she was American)

Last edited by Victoria; 10-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And Farley Mowat. Let's not forget him!

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #36
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have a similar dilemma with the book I want to nominate, which isn't available in Canada as an ebook, as far as I can make out. I would like to crave my Canadian cousins' forgiveness and put it up anyway, in the hope that if you are interested in reading it, you can get it from a library.

So, I would like to nominate Ever After by Graham Swift.

Kobo prices: $US11.99, $A12.99, £5.99.

295 pages.
Bookpossum - no worries at all There is plenty of time to order the p-book from via Amazon if it wins.

It’s odd though, because you would think an author like Swift would be available in Canada. But my library doesn’t have a paper copy either. I wonder if it’s an issue with the publisher? I considered nominating Last Orders a few months ago but the availability was restricted. I wouldn’t expect an issue between Commonwealth countries.

Last edited by Victoria; 10-03-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
And Farley Mowat. Let's not forget him!

Charlie.
Absolutely! Love Farley Mowat! A terrible lapse of memory.

(It’s shamelessly off topic, but I’d love to hear everyone else’s pick their greatest national author . Is there an appropriate thread to pose the question? )

Last edited by Victoria; 10-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
We could move this to the Welcome thread, if you want.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #39
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
We could move this to the Welcome thread, if you want.

Charlie.
Good idea! I don’t know how to move something, but I posted the question, in case anyone is interested.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #40
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't mind reading paper books, but the local library offers a catalogue search online that didn't show anything by Robertson Davies. There is a second hand bookshop that might offer a better chance, but not sure when I will be in town next to check it out.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Catlady's mention of Rashomon got me thinking and while I don't think this is Rashomon-like, it's similar in exploring different reactions to a situation. So I'm nominating Paths of Glory by Humphrey Cobb, the basis for the classic Kubrick film and not the book by Jeffrey Archer! 228 pp.

Quote:
Paths of Glory explores the perilous complications involved in what nations demand of their soldiers in wartime. Humphrey Cobb's protagonists are Frenchmen during the First World War whose nightmare in the trenches takes a new and terrible turn when they are ordered to assault a German position deemed all but invulnerable. When the attack fails, an inquiry into allegations of cowardice indicts a small handful of lower-ranked scapegoats whose trial exposes the farce of ordering ordinary men to risk their lives in an impossible cause. A chilling portrait of injustice, this novel offers insight into the tragedies of war in any age.
Kindle prices: US$6.99; AU$8.99, UK£5.49; CA$13.99
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #42
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
I don’t know if you’ve already done this one, but I’m in the middle of “The Overstory” by Richard Powers, and it seems to fit the theme well. To say that it’s about trees is woefully inadequate. It’s an extremely difficult book to describe. Goodreads attempts it thusly:

“From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Power’s twelfth book unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century timber wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn to see that world and are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.”

Warning: the book is long. And I’ll be gone much of November. (Not that I’ve contributed much so far, though I greatly enjoyed reading your comments about September’s book.) But it’s definitely an unusual book and an unusual subject, and the writing is poetic.
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'll take that as a nomination.

I'll note that it won the Pulitzer and was shortlisted for the Booker.

Last edited by issybird; 10-04-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Prizes.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I do have a thing for trees, so I second The Overstory by Richard Powers.

And while I'm here, my last vote I use to second Ever After by Graham Swift.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #45
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh yes, I have heard good things about The Overstory, so I shall third it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote