Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 12:54 AM   #1
captain_veidt
captain_veidt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (BNRV10)
Question How to manage Shelves?

The Glowlight I have is basically perfect on a hardware level, and I don't mind the system software really, but I have a specific software need I'm not sure how to accomplish it.

The "Shelves" would be an acceptable solution -- if I could manage them with my PC, externally to the Nook device, to create custom groupings of books. On the PC because I'm already managing the collection there, and because the device's screen refresh, while perfectly fast enough to read on, becomes irksome when having to manipulate anything beyond reading.

However, my PC software, which is Calibre, doesn't seem to touch that. Meanwhile, I don't want to root the device if that can be avoided and I still gain some sort of grouping tool that isn't on the device.

Is there a Calibre plug-in, a workaround, or a different manager software that would allow what I'm looking for? Or do I need to root, or get a different device?

Last edited by captain_veidt; 12-04-2019 at 12:57 AM.
captain_veidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You need a Kobo. Calibre can't manage shelves/collections either with Kindles or with Nooks. Perhaps rooting would help, I'm not sure. Someone else might know more about rooting.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, Sirtel is right. you can't manage Shelves externally. Kobos do that.

There was an issue with Shelves disappearing on the Glowlight 3. The latest Nook firmware (50.0.117 or 50.0.118) fixed many of the Glowlight 3's issues. Not sure about the Shelves, because I never used them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There was an issue with Shelves disappearing on the Glowlight 3. The latest Nook firmware (50.0.117 or 50.0.118) fixed many of the Glowlight 3's issues. Not sure about the Shelves, because I never used them.
I don't use them either. They're not terribly important for my on-device book management and as there had been reports about their issues with sideloaded books, I just didn't bother. I also don't bother with collections on my Oasis 3. Kobo of course does shelves automagically, not that I find much use for them, but they're still nice to have.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
You can install Calibre Companion and a launcher (I use Zeam Launcher) without root using ADB. After installing a launcher and a file manager you don't need to use ADB to install other APKs.

Some of CC settings don't have a touch option to back out so you would need a back button but once it's set up CC doesn't need a back button. I rooted my GL3 (it's easy) and remapped one of the hardware buttons to be a back button. In the past I have used Button Savior Non Root and it worked to add a touch screen back button.

You can set CC to open your books on any installed reader including the Nook reader.

Last edited by Ryzir; 12-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote