Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #616
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
Also it is definitely the nicest ereader I ever held. I know the design isn't entirely original, but for the first time I feel like someone actually thought about "How do people hold this?" instead of just making it a tablet with a different screen!
good for you. it's the ultimate aim to be happy with whatever we purchase. personally i prefer an ereader to be roughly the same size and shape of a standard paperback. each to their own of course

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #617
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
I returned the others so I can't do a direct comparison, but I feel like the Kobo has better contrast than the Inkpad 3 Pro I tried last week?
Yes, the contrast is way better than the Inkpad3 Pros. I installed fonts a tad bolder to mine. Still not as good a contrast as with the Kobos I had, but I guess I'll get used to it. The light is also not as bright as the Kobos.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #618
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
good for you. it's the ultimate aim to be happy with whatever we purchase. personally i prefer an ereader to be roughly the same size and shape of a standard paperback. each to their own of course
Why would you want an ereader that was two centimetres thick?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #619
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
hence why i didn't mention thickness.

best wishes koboy
Old 11-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #620
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
hence why i didn't mention thickness.
You did:

Quote:
roughly the same size and shape of a standard paperback
"Size and shape" does imply depth as well as height and width.

I used to have something like that. Very much like that. It was called "Newton MP2000". Operating system aside I much prefer my Forma.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #621
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
You did:

"Size and shape" does imply depth as well as height and width.

I used to have something like that. Very much like that. It was called "Newton MP2000". Operating system aside I much prefer my Forma.
the main focus of my comment was indeed the height and width dimensions. i don't believe anyone would want an ereader the thickness of a war and peace paperback, although never say never.

best wishes koboy
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #622
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
20mm would be a bit much, but something between 10mm and 14mm would be just fine if it has 0ish bezel, side page turn buttons, and can be held comfortably between thumb and 3rd or 4th finger.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #623
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
20mm would be a bit much, but something between 10mm and 14mm would be just fine if it has 0ish bezel, side page turn buttons, and can be held comfortably between thumb and 3rd or 4th finger.
Like, say, a Kobo Forma?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #624
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
the main focus of my comment was indeed the height and width dimensions. i don't believe anyone would want an ereader the thickness of a war and peace paperback, although never say never.
My comment was a joke but, it has clearly pointed out how bad people are at defining things that they are talking about. And how many assumptions people make that are different to what others make. Or redefine things afterwards for convenience.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #625
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
My comment was a joke but, it has clearly pointed out how bad people are at defining things that they are talking about. And how many assumptions people make that are different to what others make. Or redefine things afterwards for convenience.
i know your comment was a joke. if i'd read the exact same post by someone else common sense would have told me they weren't referring to the varying thickness of paperbacks. it's the reason why i (knew) you were joking.

thank you though for pointing it out. if i make a similar comment in future i will make sure i specifically specify that i'm (only) referring to the height and width dimensions.

best wishes koboy
Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #626
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Like, say, a Kobo Forma?
Well, no.

By 0ish bezel, I meant both sides.

And by side page turn buttons, I meant page turn buttons on the thickish sides, not on the front or back.

And the intended hold would be between thumb and fingers across the palm. Ideally a page turn button would be a bi-directional toggle operated by slightly shifting the thumb toward the top or bottom. Most effortless page turns ever.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #627
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
And the intended hold would be between thumb and fingers across the palm. Ideally a page turn button would be a bi-directional toggle operated by slightly shifting the thumb toward the top or bottom. Most effortless page turns ever.
For some value of "ideal" and "effortless". I have a Paperwhite 3. I can just barely hold it between the tip of my thumb and tip of my pinky the way you describe. Do not want.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #628
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For some value of "ideal" and "effortless". I have a Paperwhite 3. I can just barely hold it between the tip of my thumb and tip of my pinky the way you describe. Do not want.
I do not have a PW3 handy, but I think eliminating the bezels would make it at least 25 mm narrower.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #629
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
I do not have a PW3 handy, but I think eliminating the bezels would make it at least 25 mm narrower.
Maybe you just have giant hands? I 'unnow. I do know that people with small to medium sized hands -- women, children, me -- would never be able to use a reader like you describe, not without cutting it down to smartphone scale.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #630
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All this talk of making bezels smaller is making my hands hurt just thinking about it.

I want MORE bezel, not less.
These are handheld devices meant to be used for hours on end.

Ergonomics matter
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote