Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #571
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Agree with the dislike of covers! They're annoying while reading, and I don't feel that they are enough protection when I'm not -- I take my readers everywhere. Give me a nice cushie sleeve that I can securely close!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #572
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone ever seen/heard of some type of "thickness adding" case?

I don't need any front screen protection, I'm literally looking for something almost "otter box like" (not so much the aesthetic, just the thickness) to put my Forma in..

I just really want to something to make the "handle side" fit in my hand more naturally.

All of these devices are just too thin for me and it kills the ergonomics of holding it totally. It really bums me out.

I've actually thought about getting some firm foam and going to work on "building my own grip" to slide on to the handle side or perhaps adhere to the back of the handle side of the Forma.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #573
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Yeah, if you've been here a while you'll realize that Jon feels very strongly about ereaders being kept in covers at all times. Personally, I believe that covers help if you're taking the reader out of the house a lot and throwing it in bags etc., but they're not so fragile that one look at them out of a cover and they'll break - just treat them like you would your smartphone, paying a bit more attention to make sure they're not subject to torsion. I keep mine in a felt sleeve and make sure that it doesn't move around in my backpack (i.e. keep it between two books, or in a tablet pocket), and so far so good. But all devices that fall have a high likelihood of breaking, it's not like ereaders are outliers in that.
Either way, my money, my rules.
I've read many posts of a Reader that's gone in a bag and come out broken. So unless the sleeve is solid, it's not all that useful. I know a Reader can still break when in a case, but at least the case gives some level of protection that's better then most sleeves.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #574
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read many posts of a Reader that's gone in a bag and come out broken. So unless the sleeve is solid, it's not all that useful. I know a Reader can still break when in a case, but at least the case gives some level of protection that's better then most sleeves.
Not all of us take our readers with us when we go out. Mine never leave my home. So no, I don't use covers. They add too much weight and are pointless when reading on a sofa (where I do almost all of my book reading). I only have to keep my readers out of the reach of my cats.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #575
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

I don't need any front screen protection, I'm literally looking for something almost "otter box like" (not so much the aesthetic, just the thickness) to put my Forma in..

I just really want to something to make the "handle side" fit in my hand more naturally.

All of these devices are just too thin for me and it kills the ergonomics of holding it totally. It really bums me out.

I've actually thought about getting some firm foam and going to work on "building my own grip" to slide on to the handle side or perhaps adhere to the back of the handle side of the Forma.
I once used a thick rubbery shell case (the kind that you put your reader in and only the back and sides are covered, not the screen) with my basic Kindle, but there seems to be nothing like that for the Forma.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #576
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sirtel

Yes! That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for.

Or I suppose I could maybe do some thick neoprene tape on the back of the handle/grip maybe.
Going to have to get creative here it would seem.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #577
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
People aren’t likely to make a post “today I put my ereader in my bag without a case and nothing happened to it’ because that’s the expected behavior, a device continuing to not be broken.

Also no one objects to you mentioning a case can be useful. It is your insistence that everyone must adhere to your belief that a case is needed. The simple fact is they aren’t needed. They are optional. If a device was so fragile it required a case it’d likely never make it to market without a redesign.

Try “If you’re going to take your reader out with you, you should consider a case for extra protection. It can help prevent damage to the screen”. The person is then informed and can make up their own mind. If they opt to not go with a case and they break the screen next time they’ll think harder about it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #578
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:

They did make Otterboxes for Paperwhites. My husband has one for his PW2. But I haven't seen anything else. And I don't think they even make those anymore.

Quote:
To each their own, I feel exactly the opposite about covers vs. sleeves. I've been carrying around ereaders in sleeves in my purse everywhere for almost a decade -- nothing broken yet. Of course, it's possible to break it either way. But I'm more concerned with something slipping in between cover and screen and scratching it. So a sleeve is better for me.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #579
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

They used to make one for the NST which was just a silicone shell. You’d slip the Nook in and all the non screen bits were covered save for cutouts for the USB port and micro sd card slot.

I looked for something similar when I got my original H2O but never found it. And to the best of my knowledge nothing has come out for any Kobo device since that would be similar.

It’s a shame because that’s something I might actually use.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #580
bookyboy
Addict

Such a bummer. These silicone sleeve/cases would be ideal
Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #581
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not all of us take our readers with us when we go out. Mine never leave my home. So no, I don't use covers. They add too much weight and are pointless when reading on a sofa (where I do almost all of my book reading). I only have to keep my readers out of the reach of my cats.
I don't notice the added weight of the cover on my H2O. Besides, the weight of the Reader+cover is less then the weight of most pBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #582
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Besides, the weight of the Reader+cover is less then the weight of most pBooks.
Yeah, most hardcovers and trade paperbacks always felt too heavy for me. I was a mass market paperback gal. What can I say... I'm a weakling.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #583
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I don't notice the added weight of the cover on my H2O. Besides, the weight of the Reader+cover is less then the weight of most pBooks.
Most of the Forma cases basically double the weight and add noticeable bulk. I imagine the same is true for the Libra since it’s the same design though the glass substrate may add a little weight.

If my choice was between an ereader in a case and a pbook the weight of the pbook would matter. But my choice is between the weight of an ereader or an ereader in a case. I’ll pick the lighter option and be careful not to mash it into things.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #584
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
If my choice was between an ereader in a case and a pbook the weight of the pbook would matter. But my choice is between the weight of an ereader or an ereader in a case. I’ll pick the lighter option and be careful not to mash it into things.
Myself as well..

But - I'd tolerate some more weight if I could figure out someway to make the grip/handle thicker and more comfortable to hold in my hand!

hah

More seriously on weight - I do wonder how much I'd truly like a Nook GLP since they are so heavy. It's really hard to get a sense of it in the stores since they are on little "security tethers" and if you pull on it too much to get some slack and feel the weight, invariably the siren goes off and a CS rep has to come turn it off (happened to me 3 times now)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #585
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Booky, MGlitch and Ikmiller, thank you for your informative responses--they fully answered my questions.

I have one more I forgot to include--on Kindle I can hold onto a library book a little past the expiration date by turning off wifi. Will this trick work on Kobo and OD books?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote