Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Same here.

Printed signatures are going to become more common now that schools no longer teach cursive. I often see documents that have one line for a signature and another for the printed name. I guess that will also be going away eventually. Or perhaps the next generation will be using emoji signatures.
I've lost most of my ability to properly hold a pen, so my signature at this point is literally just a scribble.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #17
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I queued a couple of times to get books signed by Terry Pratchett. Loved his books and wanted to meet him.

Felt a bit guilty on one occasion as he was in pain from all the books he signed
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #18
BalooRJ
BalooRJ began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
I think the signature is only worthwhile as a memory of a time when you got to meet the author and discuss the book. I have gotten only a few books signed.
BalooRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've lost most of my ability to properly hold a pen, so my signature at this point is literally just a scribble.
This! I find the fixation on the mythical superiority of cursive both ableist and incredibly script-specific, and of course a reflection of nostalgia for the good old days. I learned cursive in elementary school but even then never used it, it was simply too difficult.

I read a tweet thread from someone expounding reams of "scientific" evidence about what is lost when kids don't learn cursive, and responded simply by pointing out that there are many, many writing systems in the world that have no cursive. Poor mentally stunted kids they must be.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #20
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This! I find the fixation on the mythical superiority of cursive both ableist and incredibly script-specific, and of course a reflection of nostalgia for the good old days. I learned cursive in elementary school but even then never used it, it was simply too difficult.
How do you know they were being "ableist"? You say it was also "a reflection of nostalgia for the good old days". How do you know this was not the only reason for their view?
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I don't know that was the intention.
People working in "Drawing offices" or Engineering before PCs learned to do print style text quickly and neatly. Only some stuff used stencils. Cursive aka Script would have been forbidden. Cursive was invented maybe 1000 years later than the "CAPITAL" letters to suit fast copying with a quill.

Quote:
I read a tweet thread from someone expounding reams of "scientific" evidence about what is lost when kids don't learn cursive, and responded simply by pointing out that there are many, many writing systems in the world that have no cursive.
Complete rubbish. Most Alphabet and related systems don't have lower case which is derived from cursive. Most have only one set of letters.
AFIAK no non-Alphabetic (or related system) has lower case or differentiated cursive and printed.

Cursive is only to enable writing faster with a quill (ink) pen. If it doesn't work for you then don't use it. Unless someone is unusual their "printed style" text is easier to read.

Some writing systems with alphabets simply use "SMALL CAPS" and don't even have a lower case style.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #22
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I find the fixation on the mythical superiority of cursive both ableist...
What, people who admire cursive writing are now considered antagonistic to the disabled? That's about the most ridiculous attempt at creating a false narrative I've ever heard.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #23
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The ability to write in cursive for note-taking seems to be helpful to many folks for retaining information. I'd also argue that the ability to express one's identity as a formal signature is a milestone which society should continue to celebrate and preserve.

One experience from a previous job was especially telling --- a boss at an office supply store was trying to get in at a small college in a small town they were expanding into, and one thing which he'd done in the past in the large city he worked at was to promise things on the assumption that customers wouldn't be able to remember the specifics of the promise.

He found himself constantly being called out on not meeting promised deadlines, and that the customers would repeat back to him verbatim his promises --- he was mystified by this until I pointed out that the administrators who were doing this were all older women who had come up from the secretarial pool who were adept at shorthand.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
What, people who admire cursive writing are now considered antagonistic to the disabled? That's about the most ridiculous attempt at creating a false narrative I've ever heard.
I said nothing about those who admire cursive. I specifically said, in the text you quoted, that I was talking about those promote the superiority of cursive. There is a very significant difference.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:01 AM   #25
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have one signed copy of a book. It's from a friend who has actually published some sci-fi works with Been. I bought it at B&N one day and brought it to work and he signed it for me. Other than that, I couldn't care about signed copies.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #26
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I said nothing about those who admire cursive. I specifically said, in the text you quoted, that I was talking about those promote the superiority of cursive. There is a very significant difference.
OK. So people who advocate that cursive is superior to printing are now considered antagonistic to the disabled? Same silly attempt at a false narrative. I have nothing against cursive, but I personally think printing is superior. Does that mean I'm now considered antagonistic to, ... uhm, ... well, ... maybe ... tall people? (doesn't matter what you choose - just something random and unrelated)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #27
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Here's an interesting article on the cursive debate:

https://www.nea.org/advocating-for-c...writing-debate

Seems like it is good for the brain, so even though it may not be used all the time in real life, the training has other benefits beyond just the ability to write with it.

As of 2020, 21 states in the US still required it be taught in schools. My grandsons go to a private Christian school that still teaches it. The other grandkids are homeschooled and are learning it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #28
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Some writing systems with alphabets simply use "SMALL CAPS" and don't even have a lower case style.
If you are thinking of Cyrillic, they do have a cursive style (which kids are taught in school) that is completely unreadable to me despite being able to read printed Cyrillic. It bears very little resemblance to the printed style, you could almost think of it as a separate alphabet.

Anyway, as a fairly young person who was taught cursive but stopped writing in it for no particular reason as a kid, I sigh a little at the whole "kids these days" mentality. I suggest to consider the radical notion that Millennials and Gen Z are still all individuals and generally no better or worse than all the previous generations...
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamug View Post
If you are thinking of Cyrillic, they do have a cursive style (which kids are taught in school) that is completely unreadable to me despite being able to read printed Cyrillic. It bears very little resemblance to the printed style, you could almost think of it as a separate alphabet.
Cyrillic and Hebrew both have completely different script, unlike Italic/script print or "joined" writing in the Latin-Roman styles and no normal lower case.
I was thinking more of Asian systems. Some of which do use an alphabet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:34 AM   #30
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Cyrillic and Hebrew both have completely different script, unlike Italic/script print or "joined" writing in the Latin-Roman styles and no normal lower case.
I was thinking more of Asian systems. Some of which do use an alphabet.
The odds of coming across cursive Hebrew is virtually non-existent. Purist will argue, with some validity, that the Hebrew writing system can not have a cursive form.

Cyrillic has both upper case and lower case, along with both a printed form, and cursive form.

The cursive forms in CJKV are usually referred to as grass style.

The Indus Valley writing systems are the ones that lack a cursive form.

If you want to go back in time, neither Maya, Hieroglyphics nor Cuneiform have a cursive form.

Three writing systems, all of which have a cursive form, suffice for writing roughly 80% of the languages that have been reduced to writing.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote