Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #16
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I completely missed this announcement... this is pretty awesome.. a small thing, but it's been on my wishlist ever since Amazon took it away from Kindle.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, they never really allowed it in the first place .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Huh, for some reason, I thought that ability was built-in back in the Kindle Keyboard/Touch... but a little Googling reveals a huge gap in my memory.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #19
die
die can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one
Thumbs up it works flawlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just found out today that firmware has hidden support for a random screensaver image. If you add a directory called "screensaver" inside the ".kobo" directory, images in it will be selected randomly to be used as the screensaver.

The steps needed to use a random image for the screensaver are:
  1. In the ".kobo" directory, create a directory called "screensaver".
  2. Put the images you want to see as screensavers in the new directory.
  3. Disconnect the device.
  4. In the settings, on the "Energy saving and privacy" screen, turn on "Show current read" and "Show book covers full screen".
  5. Put the device to sleep and see one of the images. If there is only one image, it will always be used.

This came up in a discussion elsewhere that was sort of triggered by the current miniclock discussion. It has been in the firmware since 4.13.x without anyone noticing.
Thank you so much, it works flawlessly.
I canot find the way to turn the screen black in something like night mode! Can you discover a link or a method for kobo aura one.
die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by die View Post
I canot find the way to turn the screen black in something like night mode! Can you discover a link or a method for kobo aura one.
This has been discussed here plenty of times. You can use the developers option, or install the hack discussed in the other thread you posted in.

The developers mode is simplest. I search, type "devmodeon" and then close the search. Then go to Settings, Device Info and there will be a new option, "Developer options" at the bottom. Open that and select the "Invert Screen" option. There are other ways to turn this on such as via a config file option, and there is a patch to put the option elsewhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2020, 06:14 AM   #21
2000ede
2000ede began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo first
Hi,
sorry for my bad english! (i come form North of Germany)

With the old Kindle it is possible to use it as a screen for pictures. There are instructions for this. He then fetches the pictures himself from the Internet. This is how people visualize weather data. Is that also possible with the Globo?
2000ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #22
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
The kobo won't do this automatically, but it would be possible to write a script to download an image to the correct location. It could be triggered with something like NickelMenu.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #23
2000ede
2000ede began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo first
Yes, you have to intervene with the old Kindle.
Did you get it done with the Kobo? Where can I find an example or instructions?
like this (kindle): http://www.kleinmaeusiges.de/pics/La...ndle_1_big.jpg
(weather station)
2000ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #24
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
On the Kobo hacks wiki page, under applications, there's a Kobo Wifi Weather Forecast application, but someone last tried it in 2018 and it probably doesn't currently work.

But it has been done before.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #25
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
So weird. I never noticed this thread before. Thanks for posting this, David. Great find!
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:34 AM   #26
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Are there any restrictions concerning the files for the images? I've tried to use this approach (Libra H20, firmware 4.25), but without effects...

EDIT: OK, it works. There should be at least one opened book in the e-reader.

Last edited by errenay; 01-30-2021 at 03:28 AM.
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:43 AM   #27
jimlev
jimlev began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Hello ! Does anyone achieve to make the screensaver works on Kobo Libra 2 (latest firmware) ? I simply copied my old H2O 'screensaver' folder to the .kobo directory with no success...
I tried checking or unchecking the 'show book cover' option, restart the libra2, ...

any helps will be appreciated !
jimlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #28
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlev View Post
Hello ! Does anyone achieve to make the screensaver works on Kobo Libra 2 (latest firmware) ? I simply copied my old H2O 'screensaver' folder to the .kobo directory with no success...
I tried checking or unchecking the 'show book cover' option, restart the libra2, ...

any helps will be appreciated !
For me it works, did you turn both options on "Show current read" and "Show book covers full screen"?
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #29
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Works on my libra 2 as well.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #30
jimlev
jimlev began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
For me it works, did you turn both options on "Show current read" and "Show book covers full screen"?

It works !! thanks (I was sure the 'full screen' was checked but...it was not )
jimlev is offline   Reply With Quote