Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Satangel
Satangel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Confused with Calibre + various questions

1. I'm very confused as to what Calibre actually does. Is it linked to the folder 'Calibre', what happens when I just add a folder with an .epub there?
How can I add new books and make sure those books are using the correct metadata?

2. All the changes that I'm making in Calibre concerning title/author/.... , are those things changed in the actual .epub files or just in the Calibre database?

3. How can I, for my whole database, force all authors to be like 'FirstName LastName'. Also when I'm importing new books, this should happen automatically.

4. I've already merged a lot of books that had different fileformats (.mobi & .epub). I'm just unsure how to unmerge them because when I right click and unmerge, it gives me some metadata error.

Thanks so much, I can't help but feel this is a great program but to really comprehend it you need a lot of guidance. Very powerful but you need the manual.
Satangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

Most of your questions are covered in the Calibre (help) FAQ
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html so I won't go into those

First off:
Let Calibre Manage. Believe it or not, that is it's primary function. Managing formats, metadata...

When you connect your device, Calibre uses the (user configurable) rules for that device. It knows to send AZW3/Mobi to a Kindle; EPUB to a Sony...
No need to split formats. 1 book: all formats is fine

Preferences: Tweaks
Take some time to read (don't rush to change, yet) the various descriptions.

These are EXTRA controls for knowledgeable users. Start messing with these too soon and you will be rebuilding your metadata later to undo something you thought you wanted
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert