Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
PW4 Problems

I ended up Downloaded ALL my Amazon e-books onto the PW4. Then I Side loaded thru calbre 3500 more. Calibre did NOT tell me that I was adding Duplicates. No Biggie or so I thought. 1st I tried deleting the duplicate... PW4 would Not remove them. I tried to use my PC to delete them...e-books removed but I was left with All the covers. No matter what I tried I could Not get them OFF....ugh. I Took it back to Factory. ugh

Ok so today I re-down loaded just my Amazon e-books. Now I cant get them into collections
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
How large are your collections? In my experience, it is no good having them larger than a few hundred per, at least on a Kindle. Takes too long to add/remove/sync them (about a minute to add or remove), and it has nothing to do with how much is on the device. No such problems with the mobile apps.

Fortunately my two largest collections were rendered moot by the Read/Unread flag (since that is what I was using those large collections for). The remainder are all <100 items and no issues with those.

I cannot advise about the effects of having that many books on device other than it is going to take awhile to generate search index and while it is doing that you might as well forget about doing anything else with the device. Patience is required.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There were 1200 direct DL from Amazon. 500 more I SL.

I don't see how that Overcrowding a 32 gig device.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

My point was that wherever the content comes from, Kindle is going to index it. The more content you put on the device, the longer it is going to take to do this, and it could run to hours. It is SLOW.

I’ve never attempted to load that much at one time, or even more than a few hundred over time, but I’ve seen people here recommending downloading or side-loading in batches and giving it time to index before loading the next batch. I don’t know that you need to baby-sit it to that extent, or if it is just a way of measuring overall progress so that you have a better idea of when you can expect it to be finished, or if it will overwhelm Kindle’s tiny brain and cause trouble to load too much at one time.

Syncing large collections is a separate issue, as it initially needs to populate the local database from scratch (whether or not any content is downloaded). After that, updating the collection takes more time the larger it gets (the better part of a minute for a 1000-item collection).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Well it had a WEEK Before I took it back to factory..
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well it had a WEEK Before I took it back to factory..
Going by HarryT's thread about his Oasis 2, copy the ebooks over, make sure your Kindle is plugged into a power adapter and be patient. See his thread at Tips for loading a large library onto a KO2.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

It’s not so much the storage as it is the poor CPU and RAM. Alas, I think the processor used on the PW4 is probably much slower than the one used on the 10-year old iPhone 4.

The higher capacities really are more for audiobooks (and maybe graphic novels) than they are for thousands of regular ebooks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

AAAA How does How I load them have to do with REMOVING Duplicates??
Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
AAAA How does How I load them have to do with REMOVING Duplicates??
Could have gotten stuck processing if you do huge batches. I do believe deleting requires updating the database as well and the process isn't exactly instantaneous.

Question though, what do you mean by factory? I had thought you meant you returned it to Amazon but did you meant factory reset? If so, seems weird that you're still having issues after reset.

If you did do a factory reset, can you describe exactly the issues you're experiencing after reset? Do note Kindle collections will only work if the device is registered (or if you jailbreak). You'll need to redownload collections locally, too, iirc.

And yeah, it can take a while for books to get moved to their proper collections.
I've also encountered a ~990 book limit in a single collection on the Kindle e-ink readers. My "Comics" cloud collection exceeded that limit. So I had to divvy it up to separate collections.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

It was 50 e-books x2 ....

I trying to find out why they did not Delete Before I add any e-books.

Yes I took it Back to Factory .... why would you think I sent it back to Amazon??? IF I send this back to Amazon I will Not buy another e-reader from them. I am no longer interested in there Fires.... my PC wont even recognize them ... ugh.