Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
action, adventure, fantasy for teens?

My 12 year old son likes action, adventure, fantasy books. Any recommendations?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The Hunger Games Trilogy. I just finished the first book, The Hunger Games, and it was great. I'm an adult but they are geared towards Young Adults.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ursula K. LeGuin's "Earthsea Trilogy."

One of the volumes won a National Book Award For Children's Books, while yet another volume won a Newberry Honor Book in Children's Literature.

These three books make wonderful reading for children and adults, in my opinion.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-17-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: one to "won" -- hahaha
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
My son is now 14 and so I've been through this. Some of the most successful reads for him were:
Artemis Fowl - we listened to the first in the car and he read the rest of the series on his own
The Supernaturalist, also by Eoin Colfer

Although not fantasy I can't imagine a 12 year old not loving The Completely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. It's brilliant.

Also Flush, but Carl Hiaasen was a huge success. There's a sequel now called Scat, but I don't know much about it.

I agree that the Earthsea Trilogy is great, but for some reason both my son and daughter had trouble really getting into it.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
There are the Percy Jackson series, a mythological fantasy series for teens, he might enjoy that. Recently I've been reading and enjoying the Riyria Revelations series; it's not marketed for teens, but it is teen friendly (no inappropriate language, situations, etc.). Also, I really, really enjoy YA fantasy books by Diana Wynne Jones. Recently I've also enjoyed Runemarks, a YA fantasy novel by Joanne Harris.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
I second The Hunger Games. It's a brilliant series.

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher is good. I think the first book of the classic Wheel of Time was re-released in 2 parts for teens.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
When I was twelve The House With a Clock In Its Walls was my all time favorite. I actually just finished re-reading it and it kept me captivated enough that I finished it in two sittings.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
When I was twelve The House With a Clock In Its Walls was my all time favorite. I actually just finished re-reading it and it kept me captivated enough that I finished it in two sittings.
That was one of my favorites as a kid, too! I just bought it (again) - but this time for my daughter.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about the Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
It was one of my favourites, too; I had my mom send over my copy, it's sitting on my night table as we speak (er... type). I also loved "The Face in the Frost", by John Bellairs.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Sci-fi with quite a bit of action aimed at teens is "I am Number Four". It's filled full of cliches from other novels, but if you are young enough it will be a good read.

Definitely not recommended for more mature readers, especially those who have read sci-fi extensively.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The original Tom Swift books were written for teenagers, and my dad loved them. He regretted that they were out of print when I was a boy.

Harry has placed many of them in the MR library for you to download:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...archid=4678617
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy
Kaja and Phil Foglio's _Agatha H. and the Airship City_ (also the graphic novels)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any of the Heinlein juveniles would be good (I would recommend avoiding his other works until your son is older). Might even like the Foundation series by Asimov.

The Hobbit (which I loved) or Lord of the Rings (which I haven't been able to get through...).

He may also like the Riyria series by Michael Sullivan; it's a light easy fantasy read with plenty of action and adventure.

Last edited by queentess; 01-19-2011 at 09:07 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
[QUOTE=queentess;1345896]

The Hobbit (which I loved) or Lord of the Rings (which I haven't been able to get through...).

QUOTE]

I read The Hobbit when I was about twelve and loved it, a few months ago I thought I was ready for the trilogy...... I just couldnt do it, not that it was bad I just lost my steam. Oh well maybe later this year.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote