Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
I couldn't get it either.
I just knew you would get it, that's why I tried so hard to get the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
The heat down here has been frying my brain. The Temperature Humidity Index today was 103.
This whole week I've just been too beat to think.
I need a drink.
Here you go...

I have 3 bottles, but only one has anything in it. The problem is that 2 other guys want it, too.

The young guy is quick and grabs a bottle, but it's empty and he (being the nice guy, I'm sure he is), tried to give it back to me--- unfortunately, I ducked and it smashed into the wall behind me. )

Now, the 6 foot tall, 300 pound, muscle-bound guy behind you also wants a drink.

Q1.. What are the odds that you get to choose first? (taking into account the size and weight of the other guy)

Q2... What are the odds that you choose the correct one and actually get that drink? (don't forget to take into account the result of the outcome on that other guy)

***I hope it cools down soon, obs20***
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It's fun trying to do these with others.

My guess.
Spoiler:
Now, that I know that a fuse can be lit at both ends..

Also, that if I lit 3 fuses, (let them burn for a little, then blew them out), that they would have burned differing percentages of each fuse. They would only match if let to burn completely.

So.. Put the egg in boiling water and...

F1 lite both ends and F2 & F3 light one end each

F1 is consumed [in 2 minutes as twice as fast]

F2 has burned for 2 min, so lite other end of F2 (to burn up 2 min in only 1 min).

F2 is consumed in 1 minute [twice as fast]

F3 has been burning for 3 minutes (1 min left), so lite the other end..

F3 is consumed in 30 sec [twice as fast]

F3 burned for 3 min and 30 sec.

Remove egg and enjoy.

Thanks! I love trying to figure these out. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Congratulations, Dreams — exactly right.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congratulations to those who've got the right answer. I could write out my own version of the answer, but I think that instead I'll refer anyone who wants to check their own solution to Dreams's answer, as it's as perfect as one could wish for — including putting the egg into the boiling water and taking it out!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...519#post977519
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Next puzzle posted: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88296
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I just knew you would get it, that's why I tried so hard to get the answer.

Here you go...

I have 3 bottles, but only one has anything in it. The problem is that 2 other guys want it, too.

The young guy is quick and grabs a bottle, but it's empty and he (being the nice guy, I'm sure he is), tried to give it back to me--- unfortunately, I ducked and it smashed into the wall behind me. )

Now, the 6 foot tall, 300 pound, muscle-bound guy behind you also wants a drink.

Q1.. What are the odds that you get to choose first? (taking into account the size and weight of the other guy)

Q2... What are the odds that you choose the correct one and actually get that drink? (don't forget to take into account the result of the outcome on that other guy)

***I hope it cools down soon, obs20***
That's great!
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert