Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
iRex opens the Iliad for User-created Apps

In an unexpected move, iRex today opened the Iliad to user-created applications. Those users who would like to use the improved PDF viewer our valued member Scotty1024 created or want to play Chess on the Iliad, send and receive emails or do many of the other things that make life so much more worth living and are possible thanks to the tireless efforts of our mobileread.com developer team can now visit the iRex developer site and "order" a special iDS update that makes it possible for users to run .sh applets from their Iliad devices.

Go here to apply for this update and join the discussion here to tell us what you think!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Great news! A wise step of iRex.
[OT] Well, posted photo doesn't show an user application, it's just a loaded png of my 666 sudokus package.

Last edited by yokos; 11-16-2006 at 07:39 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
[OT] Well, posted photo doesn't show an user application, it's just a loaded png of my 666 sudokus package.
Thats because CommanderRoR doesnt have the shell script option YET. He is desperately waiting on an email from irex, like the rest of us 2.7.1ers
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
The move should be compared against Sony strategy, who could be trying to use NDA to separate legally documented developers from reverse engineers. Remember that while Sony has provided the source code, the installation script has been reverse engineered by the Russian guys. Fortunately Sony NDA includes the usual clause about not covering any statement already slipped to public knowledge by a third party.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ok. I am now officially saving my pennies for a unit.

(And since I'm presenting at a conference this weekend and getting paid to do so, it might not take that long to come up with the requisite pennies.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@yokos

Sorry for using your image...it was the first one I found in our gallery...:-)
I was in a hurry to put it up on the frontpage before somebody else does...maybe I should replace the picture...I'll lokk for a better one later when I have time.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
@yokos
Sorry for using your image...it was the first one I found in our gallery...:-)
I was in a hurry to put it up on the frontpage before somebody else does...maybe I should replace the picture...I'll lokk for a better one later when I have time.
Heh, it's cool to see my sudokos on frontpage again.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Does this mean we'll get the ability to reflash the iLiad from a CF soon?
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar
Does this mean we'll get the ability to reflash the iLiad from a CF soon?
No evidence either way on that one, iRex is still the mighty sphinx on this kind of thing.

And while everyone is all happy and joyous, anyone doing development is still at risk of bricking. We're still walking the tight rope. And iRex is still not releasing source code.

But I'm happy to have wasted my time on shellme271.zip, which was going to ship today to Tribble.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'll be curious if the allow root access, and/or what precautions they are taking to protect the OS.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I'll be curious if the allow root access, and/or what precautions they are taking to protect the OS.
It would be sueful if someone would download the official [SHELL] hack and run mrxvt.

I believe the command is whoami?

That will tell the story on what level access they have granted.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Has anyone got the scripts in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&page=5&pp=15 working yet...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
that's great. Now i *might* consider upgrading.

But let's wait for whoami.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
scotty: Thanks for your time.

I installed the shell update and the terminal answers my question "whoami" with "root"
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

good news I guess...^^