Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
hgb1960
hgb1960 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Hi,
Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet is a very, very good book. And the same goes for its successor World without End. Highly recommended!!
Don't know if the last is available as ebook; I read it the old fashioned way.
hgb1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
First choice 'Dune'. Then '1632' then 'Pillars of the Earth'.

Aw, maybe 'Pillars of the Earth' second. Damn, read them both!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Thank you all for your input.

I've devided to start with Mistborn, then Heinlein's classic and after that Pillars of the Earth.

I'll leave Dune for later, as right now I only have the first book (and if I start it, it's to go all the way).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just wanted to let you know that I've read half of Mistborn and I'm enjoying it. I believe Brandon Sanderson can pull off that last WoT volume.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

I'll leave Dune for later, as right now I only have the first book (and if I start it, it's to go all the way).
The first book is the only one worth reading...... It reads like an adventure, the rest just reads like overpompous sh...... wow I almost got caried away there
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
The first book is the only one worth reading...... It reads like an adventure, the rest just reads like overpompous sh...... wow I almost got caried away there
Yes, my recommendation of Dune was based on the first book only. Many love them all but to me, the first book was head and shoulders above the rest of the Dune series. And it was written as a complete story, not as if it was intended originally to be the 1st book of a series, such as the David Edding's Belgariad or W&H's Deathgate or Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Last edited by wayspooled; 02-17-2009 at 04:18 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I just wanted to let you know that I've read half of Mistborn and I'm enjoying it. I believe Brandon Sanderson can pull off that last WoT volume.
BLAGHHHG I WANNA READ THIS!

I sent Brandon an email to prod his publisher to prod Sony to make these ebooks available, but no luck yet
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
Over
Wizard

Quote:
I hope you're wrong! If by "overpompous" you mean that the authors spends more time with world buildig, that would be fine to me. There are quite a few things I would like the author to unveil about this world, customs, religions and races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Yes, my recommendation of Dune was based on the first book only. Many love them all but to me, the first book was head and shoulders above the rest of the Dune series. And it was written as a complete story, not as if it was intended originally to be the 1st book of a series, such as the David Edding's Belgariad or W&H's Deathgate or Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
Does that mean that the first volume is standalone? Or the other two books close any plots started in the first volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
BLAGHHHG I WANNA READ THIS!

I sent Brandon an email to prod his publisher to prod Sony to make these ebooks available, but no luck yet
The first volume was released free by TOR. Of course, starting a trilogy without the remaining two books wouldn't be nice. But there are ways to buy a lit or mobi version and convert it to lrf

Anyway, I got the 1st for free, bought the second one in an excelent promotion... But the third costas almost 24$!!! But I guess it's a matter of time until the price drops... It was released relatively recently and it's (or was) in the NYT best sellers list.

Last edited by Over; 02-18-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
I believe Brandon Sanderson can pull off that last WoT volume.
Hot damn. I hope you're right.

I couldn't believe it (and somehow expected it) when Mr Jordan just, well, you know. And so close to the end!

I think I was angry with him before I was sad actually, selfish, sure, but grief is a complex emotion ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear somebody say this. I now have tentative hopes.

-

As for your next book, I don't see how you could possibly pass up on Cryptonomicon. Someone earlier mentioned Crypto, and Quicksilver in the same sentence to the gist of "Fan of one, raving fans of the others."
I couldn't finish Quicksilver, largely because it had nothing on Cryptonomicon. Wonderful book.

....but, not as wonderful as the Diamond Age, that's just the over-powering sci-fi nerd in me speaking out though ;-)
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Over,

Good discussion. I've added a couple to my TBR list

Was there a character in Catch-22 named "Over"?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #26
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
I hope you're wrong! If by "overpompous" you mean that the authors spends more time with world buildig, that would be fine to me. There are quite a few things I would like the author to unveil about this world, customs, religions and races.
You know, I really don't know anymore. I read the first book about 25 years ago and couldn't get through book nr 2. A few years later (I believe after the film with Sting as a nephew of Baron Harkonnen) I tried it again, with the same result; book 1 absolutely marvelous, book 2 couldn't get through.
I never tried it again

It can't be a world building thing though, I read all 11 WoT-novels without skipping a page, no it can't be that

Quote:
Anyway, I got the 1st for free, bought the second one in an excelent promotion... But the third costas almost 24$!!!
$ 21.08 at BoB at the moment.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 02-19-2009 at 07:27 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
Hot damn. I hope you're right.

I couldn't believe it (and somehow expected it) when Mr Jordan just, well, you know. And so close to the end!

I think I was angry with him before I was sad actually, selfish, sure, but grief is a complex emotion ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear somebody say this. I now have tentative hopes.
I was late to start the WoT series. In my country they were only published last year, so only when I started to import books I've noticed them. I've bought the first 9 volumes (in three collections of three volumes) and read the first three. By that time, the sad news about Mr. Jordan were announced.. I've stop reading by then. Now it's time to resume my reading

Quote:
As for your next book, I don't see how you could possibly pass up on Cryptonomicon. Someone earlier mentioned Crypto, and Quicksilver in the same sentence to the gist of "Fan of one, raving fans of the others."
I couldn't finish Quicksilver, largely because it had nothing on Cryptonomicon. Wonderful book.

....but, not as wonderful as the Diamond Age, that's just the over-powering sci-fi nerd in me speaking out though ;-)
Sugestion noted And I'll be sure to check out Diamond Age. You got me curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hi Over,

Good discussion. I've added a couple to my TBR list

Was there a character in Catch-22 named "Over"?
Thanks. Feel free to give your input about any of those books. Is Catch-22 a movie? I don't know it. Anyway, my nick is short for another word

Quote:
You know, I really don't know anymore. I read the first book about 25 years ago and couldn't get through book nr 2. A few years later (I believe after the film with Sting as a nephew of Baron Harkonnen) I tried it again, with the same result; book 1 absolutely marvelous, book 2 couldn't get through.
I never tried it again

It can't be a world building thing though, I read all 11 WoT-novels without skipping a page, no it can't be that
Since I only watched the movie, I was looking forward that those two other volumes would add something to the already known story. I'll prod those volumes with a stick, before touching them
Old 02-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #28
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sugestion noted And I'll be sure to check out Diamond Age. You got me curious.

Thanks. Feel free to give your input about any of those books. Is Catch-22 a movie? I don't know it. Anyway, my nick is short for another word
Of course, this is all just opinion - but...

The Diamond Age - when I moved from Australia to the Czech Republic, and all I could carry was 20kg of luggage (why didn't I buy an ebook reader BEFORE moving into poverty? ;-)) one of the three books I brought was the Diamond Age. Fully expecting to have to read it over, and over again.

It is a marvellous piece of work, I've heard that a mini-series is being made, and if it doesn't live up to the standards of the book - then look for me on the news, with lots of dead people behind me ;-)

Catch 22.
This is another amazing book, fantastic story, fantastic ideals. Hilarious and heart breaking at the same time. If you've not read it, then you must, must, must.

However, the movie version (1970-ish), is a completely different beast. I can only imagine that watching it without having read the book, would render the movie rather difficult to understand. But watching having read the book, is much worse, it's liable to instil anger into your soul for life. The sheer amount that is altered, or missing, key characters, descriptions raped by Hollywood, and warped plot lines abound.

My suggestion? Read Catch 22, as close to now as possible, and never, ever watch the movie.

The End!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
Of course, this is all just opinion - but...

The Diamond Age - when I moved from Australia to the Czech Republic, and all I could carry was 20kg of luggage (why didn't I buy an ebook reader BEFORE moving into poverty? ;-)) one of the three books I brought was the Diamond Age. Fully expecting to have to read it over, and over again.

It is a marvellous piece of work, I've heard that a mini-series is being made, and if it doesn't live up to the standards of the book - then look for me on the news, with lots of dead people behind me ;-)

Catch 22.
This is another amazing book, fantastic story, fantastic ideals. Hilarious and heart breaking at the same time. If you've not read it, then you must, must, must.

However, the movie version (1970-ish), is a completely different beast. I can only imagine that watching it without having read the book, would render the movie rather difficult to understand. But watching having read the book, is much worse, it's liable to instil anger into your soul for life. The sheer amount that is altered, or missing, key characters, descriptions raped by Hollywood, and warped plot lines abound.

My suggestion? Read Catch 22, as close to now as possible, and never, ever watch the movie.

The End!
There was a Catch 22 movie? I had no idea.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
There was a Catch 22 movie? I had no idea.
It is my personal opinion that you are better off that way