Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
First drive-by malware for Android confirmed

I'm not sure if this goes in News or Android devices. It's Android News.

So the first drive-by malware for Android has been sighted in the wild. Drive-by means that all you need to do is view a website in your device's browser, and that triggers the script that downloads the virus to the device.

Quote:
"When the suspicious application finishes downloading, the device will display a notification prompting the user to click on the notification to install the downloaded app," Lookout reports. "In order to actually install the app to a device, it must have the 'Unknown sources' setting enabled (this feature is commonly referred to as 'sideloading'). If the device does not have the unknown sources setting enabled, the installation will be blocked."
Easy to avoid, in other words, but it was a matter of time before it happened. Doubtlessly, there will be more. Many more, and far more insidious than this one. It always starts small, but all operating systems eventually get malware. In a way, you could almost argue that an operating system isn't actually established on the market until someone has written malware for it.

Source: Tom's Hardware
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It was inevitable, I suppose. And, it's probably only a matter of time before the vicious ones hit the internets.

I wonder what sites were distributing the malware.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
The first thing I did when I got my Android phone was to pay for a Lookout subscription. Android is like the wild, wild west and you can't be too careful.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
The first thing I did when I got my Android phone was to pay for a Lookout subscription. Android is like the wild, wild west and you can't be too careful.
Doggone it. I will have to look into this.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I am not sure what you get for free and what costs.
Who has a free subscription and who pays and what is the difference?
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am not sure what you get for free and what costs.
Who has a free subscription and who pays and what is the difference?
Other than one of them being free?

I use Dr Web, the free "light" version on my phone. It doesn't run in the background, other than to auto-update as I've told it to, and when I download anything it wakes up and scans the file before letting it install, including updates to already installed apps. I'm happy with it.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
This link https://www.mylookout.com/premium shows the differences between the free and paid versions. You do get added value for the paid version, and I want to support the vendor.

No doubt though, the free version is much better than nothing.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Thanks.