Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

How do you set up a PC & TV to stream Amazon video?

Amazon’s documentation is damn confusing! How do you set up your PC to run the streaming videos? It seems like you should be able to simply set up a PC to use Windows Media Center and only have to additionally install the Amazon Unbox Video Player. However they keep mentioning the need for a Windows Media Center Extender device in order to watch them on a TV or perhaps even the PC?!? Typical Amazon support documentation which confuses more than helps.

FYI: My Sony Bravia TV is NOT on the list of TVs capable of directly streaming video. Nor is my Sony Blu-Ray player--it's a first generation unit about 3 years old. TV does NOT have built in WiFi. My cable box is Time Warner Cable so I'm sure that is not going to work. I don't own an XBox, PS3, or other such device.

If possible, I want to be able to stream Amazon videos to my PC without buying any more devices. I think then I might be able to run an HDMI cable from my PC to my Sony Bravia to view them on the TV when I desire to do that. Yes my graphics card has an HDMI out port.

Anyone successfully done this!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Any reason you don't want to stream via the browser on your computer. You can view it in full-screen mode. Maybe I'm not fully understanding.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Any reason you don't want to stream via the browser on your computer. You can view it in full-screen mode. Maybe I'm not fully understanding.
I don't mind using the browser at all! However, I will occasionally want to view the video on my 40" HDTV rather than my 23" PC monitor, especially when guests are over. Plus my TV has good sound built in whereas my PC not so much. Any how I found this Amazon web page http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/faq and it didn't even mentioned using the browser, so that's why I didn't know that was an option. I guess I need to find another page that talks about using the browser.

BTW, a really bad health day so I'm probably reading over stuff that I would normally have seen.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

BTW, a really bad health day so I'm probably reading over stuff that I would normally have seen.
I'm saddened to hear that.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's what scion is saying. Connect your computer (assuming it has an hdmi output on its video card -- tell me what your card is, and I'll tell you if it does) to your tv, drag the browser to the tv, start the stream, make it full-screen, and presto! There you go.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
That's what scion is saying. Connect your computer (assuming it has an hdmi output on its video card -- tell me what your card is, and I'll tell you if it does) to your tv, drag the browser to the tv, start the stream, make it full-screen, and presto! There you go.
Windows 7 Home Premium running an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 (according to the System control panel). I know it has an HDMI out but not sure what the specs are.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Windows 7 Home Premium running an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 (according to the System control panel). I know it has an HDMI out but not sure what the specs are.
If you have HDMI output on your card, then you simply need an HDMI cable to connect directly to your TV. Be aware that your HDMI cable might not carry sound, it depends on how your motherboard/graphics card interface.

On the PC, you should be able to see the TV as a 2nd monitor in the graphics card settings, and then you can decide how to use it, i.e., you can have have the TV as the only monitor, have the TV mirror the PC monitor, or have the TV as a separate monitor.

Last edited by afv011; 11-24-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typo
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

According to AMD your video card's HDMI supports both video and audio:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...300-specs.aspx

I have an older Radeon (X1300) running component video (using a DVI to component adapter) to a Visio TV along with a separate audio feed (splitter: one output goes to desk speakers, other goes to TV) and it all works great. Of course, this was set up fro an older HDTV I had because the Visio has built in Internet and I was able to download an Amazon App directly too it. However, the video / audio setup i have still comes in handy and runs a full 1080p. I have owned many ATI cards over the years and they run like a workhorse. Catalyst Control Center makes it pretty painless. HDMI even more so.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I hope you feel better Jack! It's been a crazy day here too with waking up to find the place smelling of smoke and finding the hot water heater went out. Wound up eating those already cook dishes by Hormel you get in your grocery refrigerator section.

Feel better soon! *hugs*
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I stream to my HDTV from Amazon and Netflix through my Sony S570 BD player and a router.

I don't know how much you are into Blu Ray and how many discs you own or rent however. Many players bitstream the audio now and it it makes for killer sound quality with some receivers even capable of 7.1 channels on applicable BD software. And BD Live is also available on the newer players and you can probably get one for around $99. A "N" router costed me around $50 and could probably be had for under that.

Tablets for me are a passing fancy. Home theater though is PRICELESS!!!

Last edited by robertc88; 11-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I stream to my HDTV from Amazon and Netflix through my Sony S570 BD player and a router.

I don't know how much you are into Blu Ray and how many discs you own or rent however. Many players bitstream the audio now and it it makes for killer sound quality with some receivers even capable of 7.1 channels on applicable BD software. And BD Live is also available on the newer players and you can probably get one for around $99. A "N" router costed me around $50 and could probably be had for under that.

Tablets for me are a passing fancy. Home theater though is PRICELESS!!!
I've got an older Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S350, but it is not on the approved list so it won't stream Amazon Video.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

I got the HDMI cable to work with video only. I couldn't get the audio to work. My ATI Radeon HD 4300 is an add-on card so it might not be connected to the audio. I'll have to check tomorrow. It could have also been some windows setting. At any rate I watched a couple of movies and they were stunning! I just used the PC speakers instead of those on the TV.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I hope you feel better Jack! It's been a crazy day here too with waking up to find the place smelling of smoke and finding the hot water heater went out. Wound up eating those already cook dishes by Hormel you get in your grocery refrigerator section.

Feel better soon! *hugs*
Thanks! I'm feeling a little better. Watched Family Christmas Vacation, that always cheers me up and laughter helps the pain go away!

EDIT: The beer probably helped a bit too!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-25-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I got the latest driver installed for the ATI Radeon and now I've got audio and video from PC out to TV. It looks and sounds awesome!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Sounds great. I've never been able to get audio to go from my PC to our TVs but I stream Amazon from our little Roku box - it's a handy little thing.

It has an attached USB port so I've been using handbrake to convert all our old DVDs to digital files and we just plug them in. Just like eBooks have gotten rid of shelves of paperbooks, our DVDs are also disappearing. And once I get them converted we no longer lose them or scratch them up.

If it were up to me we'd drop Direct TV altogether and just go streaming.

And just to keep this relevant to the Kindle Fire forum, I've put a couple of them out on Dropbox now and have d/l them to the Kindle Fire to play. I have a DVD set of all the old Sesame Street shows that my youngest kid loves.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote