Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
Allsound
Allsound began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Errors opening comics from Overdrive

Hello,

I just purchased a Clara HD and set it up with my library. I can open 'traditional' library books fine, but comics or mangas just have a blank screen or the error message "error on line 1 at column 0: Encoding error"

What makes this strange to me is that if I return the book to the library, I can open the preview copy from Kobo without any errors and read that.

The reader is up to date with the latest firmware 4.23.15548
Allsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Try rebooting the Kobo to see if the problem remains. If that doesn’t fix it, go to Settings>Device Info and repair the device. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Allsound

Neither rebooting or repairing fixed the error.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Is the book available in epub or pdf format? Yesterday I checked out a comic -- Nathan W. Pyle's Stranger Planet -- and had to read it on my computer in Overdrive's online browser. I've noticed quite a few comics appear to be not downloadable from my library, not sure if it's an Overdrive thing or if the publishers refuse to allow it even with the usual DRM wrappers in place. Check under your loans to see if says Read Now In Browser, because that may be your only option for borrowed comics.

Last edited by Byrdie; 08-30-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Allsound

A factory reset fixed the issue. Thank you to everyone who helped.
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem might have been a corrupt database.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsound View Post
A factory reset fixed the issue. Thank you to everyone who helped.

I’m glad you thought to do that. It would’ve been my next suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote