Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #31
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Not really a BD tip in itself, but an excellent tool for the pre-processing: a very powerful search & replace add-on for OpenOffice Writer. You can get it here: http://extensions.services.openoffic...ject/AltSearch

Sometimes it is better to use the originaal OO search & replace, sometimes it is best to use the add-on. This add-on was my solution to convert a pdf into a fb2.

Regular expression support is very powerful indeed.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #32
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Short paragraphs

If this is not the place this question, I'm sure the watchdog's will let me know.

In the Element Browser there is a selection for Short Paragraphs. I have compared these paragraphs against the input text and they are the same. The HTML is identical to other similar length paragraphs in the same document.

Does anyone know the criteria for selection and what is trying to be shown?

A good hint or tip would be appreciated.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
loboMuerto
loboMuerto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505, Palm TX
Does somebody know why sometimes BD tries to reinstall itself when you open it, close it or try to create a LRF file? If you cancel the installation process, the application will work just fine. My BD folder is at root, with all R/W permits opened. It happened under XP (SP3) and Vista (SP1), in different notebooks. Thank you very much in advance.
loboMuerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #34
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboMuerto View Post
Does somebody know why sometimes BD tries to reinstall itself when you open it, close it or try to create a LRF file? If you cancel the installation process, the application will work just fine. My BD folder is at root, with all R/W permits opened. It happened under XP (SP3) and Vista (SP1), in different notebooks. Thank you very much in advance.
Mine has never ever done that, And it's been on my computer since May 2007.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have never had that happen and I am running XP (SP3) and I've had BD installed since it was first mentioned on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #36
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I've had that happen at least three times now during the last 12 months (and on several computers). I completely remove BD and then install it again, and it goes away.

Why this happens is beyond me, but with BD, nothing surprises me anymore.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #37
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Ive had this happen a few times too, running xp sp2........I found mine was connected to a registry cleaner that seemed to want to change a file, once i told it to leave that file it stopped......
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #38
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
If this is not the place this question, I'm sure the watchdog's will let me know.

In the Element Browser there is a selection for Short Paragraphs. I have compared these paragraphs against the input text and they are the same. The HTML is identical to other similar length paragraphs in the same document.

Does anyone know the criteria for selection and what is trying to be shown?

A good hint or tip would be appreciated.

Charlie
Don't know if it helps, but Post 29 of the Looking for PDF creating software thread describes using short paragraphs to identify and remove page numbers.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #39
loboMuerto
loboMuerto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505, Palm TX
Thank you very much for your answers. Apparently babyd was right: it was a problem with a registry cleaning application. I think it detected some BD entries as garbage and removed them. I re-installed BD and everything works fine. I really love this application, even with all its, hum, peculiarities. I hope someday it will output ePub natively. Do somebody know if there is a new version on the works?
loboMuerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #40
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alas, there hasn't been an update since 2007, so I doubt it.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #41
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Apparently babyd was right: it was a problem with a registry cleaning application. I think it detected some BD entries as garbage and removed them.
Although I'm happy you solved your problem, I've never used a registry cleaning application, or anything of the sort. So it can still be caused by something else.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #42
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Don't know if it helps, but Post 29 of the Looking for PDF creating software thread describes using short paragraphs to identify and remove page numbers.
You could be right. I haven't found any page numbers there yet and use a RegEX to find and eliminate them (very carefully). Thanks for the info.
Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #43
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Special Symbols

Book Designer allows you to insert extended ANSI characters. It is not necessary to cut and paste from Word to fix accents.

With the book language set to German, use Insert... Special Symbols.

This isn't useful unless you know what code you need, so here's a link that shows the extended characters:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/3dkbd/ansitable.html

All characters appear as documented when publishing an .lrf, except for 164 and 173.

You can also insert a symbol, and use cut and paste to use it in the find/replace dialog. I use this to replace the vertical keyboard-style single and double quotes with the curly versions (145 - 148).
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #44
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Thanks a lot for all the excellent tips. I love BD and the LRF ebooks I can create with it. I had one question that I don't think has been answered here on the forums yet.

Is there a way to remove the default (ugly) underlining of the Book Name and Author when you use Headers in BD? I know that a lot of folk don't like using Headers, but I'd like to have them. I really like the way Calibre inserts the header using a small font-size. Is there any way to edit the Header and Footer styles in BD?

Thanks
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Thanks a lot for all the excellent tips. I love BD and the LRF ebooks I can create with it. I had one question that I don't think has been answered here on the forums yet.

Is there a way to remove the default (ugly) underlining of the Book Name and Author when you use Headers in BD? I know that a lot of folk don't like using Headers, but I'd like to have them. I really like the way Calibre inserts the header using a small font-size. Is there any way to edit the Header and Footer styles in BD?

Thanks
When you open the "make Sony book" pane, click on the "styles" tab and you can edit the fonts for paragraphs, titles, subtitles, epigraphs, etc.
Links are underlined. I look on this as a feature rather than a bug, because it helps me to recognise a link within the text.
There is a limited abilty to edit headers and footers on the "options" tab in the "make Sony book" pane. Mine are not underlined.

Tags
book designer, hints, tips