Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
International service fee for Kobo purchases?

I was just balancing my checkbook and I noticed that I was charged an international service fee for my purchase from Kobobooks last month. Now, I realize this extra charge is entirely dependent on the CC company and their terms, but I found it kind of curious since I was never charged the fee before when the company was operating as Shortcovers. It's the same CC as I used before, and to the best of my knowledge the "international fee" terms haven't changed. Does anyone know if Kobo set themselves up differently when they changed from Shortcovers?

I think it's something that people should be aware of, especially now that Kobo has launched their parnership with Borders in the US. Depending on your CC, you may end up tacking on an extra buck or two to every book purchase made through the Kobo site.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've been charged that too, but nowhere near a buck or two. I paid more like 1%, around 10cents.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Yep, Kobo has been charging me too, but I assumed it was an exchange-rate thing (I could be wrong). Back when they still had coupons and discounts I found the extra charges less objectionable than I do now.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I get charged an international transaction fee when I purchase ebooks from UK and US ebookstores which is usually a few cents so its the CC company to blame.
Except for Amazon where you get charged $2 (even if you download with your PC) and an international transaction fee
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I don't think it's an "international fee" - it's most likely VAT or sales tax. I just checked my last Kobo purchase, and sure enough they seem to have added French VAT of 19.6% to the price of the book. (Still cheaper than the Sony store in the US, though.) They've never asked me for an address, so I suppose they're using the IP address you log in from to determine what rate to charge you.

I've long suspected that the Sony store simply doesn't want to deal with foreign VAT rates and that's why they rely on either the billing address of the credit card you use or the physical address you give them when paying by gift card.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Does anyone know if Kobo set themselves up differently when they changed from Shortcovers?
I haven't seen any such fee on my Kobo purchases - all after the switch, starting in late February (though the last was early April, so things may have changed in the intervening month). Credit card & IP are both in the US.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
OK, I never paid attention to this before, but just this weekend made my first every purchases from Kobo and my credit card is showing a foreign exchange transaction fee for each of the 4 purchases. No, it's not much...but I didn't realize this was going on. Is this normal for US Residents? My location, internet provided, and credit card are all US.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is a fee your US bank charges, not Kobo (which is located in Canada). Welcome to our world. Many of our banks charge similar fees when we Canadians purchase from the US. US banks seem especially fond of doing this, btw, when the US dollar is relatively weak against a currency like the CA or AU dollar, both of which have been flirting with par for the last little while.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Wow, I just checked my bank account and there it is. I'm not too happy because it means that I have to limit my purchases. I skate very close to the edge of my book budget as it is.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
When I purchase in a currency other than US Dollars a fee is charged by my bank/card issuer for conversion fees.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
As taming pointed out, it is your credit card policy and nothing to do with Kobo. The actual purchase is exactly as described and paid in your local currency (and probably free of any otherwise attachable local taxes). Your credit card company is choosing to make YOU bear what it sees as "additional fees" for handling your business.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Some credit card companies don't charge foreign transaction fees. Your mileage will vary from country to country. Depending on how many purchases you make abroad, it might be worth getting such a card.

Here are a couple of links that might be useful:

http://money.blogs.time.com/2011/01/...-disappearing/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/tr...n%20fee&st=cse
(No. 6 covers credit cards.)

When going abroad, I just leave the credit cards that charge transaction fees at home.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Mine is 3%, but fortunately I rarely buy from Kobo because I find their site unwieldy. I think it's only the second international purchase I've made ever and I don't plan on buying much from them, so it's not worth it for me to try to get another credit card to use.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Some credit card companies don't charge foreign transaction fees.
Foreign currency conversion will ALWAYS incur a fee. Some companies charge an explicit fee; others do so in the form of a less favourable exchange rate. But there will always be a charge one way or the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I understand it somewhat for items that have to be shipped, but these are ebooks. The site is in USD, not Canadian $. There should be no exchange fee.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote