Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2023, 04:56 AM   #1
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (mark 5)
Unwanted sort by date

Hi there...
When I open Calibre, there's a problem with the sort order.
My standard sort order is as follows:
==> Title, Series, Author, Read
The latter field is a customized date field to indicate if/when I have read the book. This way I have all the read books on top, followed by the non-read ones, sorted by Author, then by Series, then by Title.

Now, when I open Calibre, the books are ordered as follows:
==> Date, Series, Author, Read
This way, the non-read books are sorted by Author, then by Series, then by Date -- not by Title.

I somehow think this behaviour must have crept in with one of the recent versions, but I'm not sure.
Any tips on how to fix this? TIA.

Last edited by DVdm; 05-31-2023 at 05:09 AM. Reason: in with one
DVdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:44 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have a look at the Sort by tool, you'll probably need to add it to a toolbar or menu - I have it in the search bar.

It allows you to explicitly set and just as importantly see multiple column sort order settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have a look at the Sort by tool, you'll probably need to add it to a toolbar or menu - I have it in the search bar.

It allows you to explicitly set and just as importantly see multiple column sort order settings.

BR
Yes, I already use that.
But I have just now solved it by explicitly tweaking the sort at startup setting from
sort_columns_at_startup = None
to
sort_columns_at_startup = [['#read', 1], ['authors', 0], ['series', 0], ['title', 0]]
This used to be not necessary. Now it seems to be...
Old 05-31-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVdm View Post
Yes, I already use that.
But I have just now solved it by explicitly tweaking the sort at startup setting from
to
sort_columns_at_startup = [['#read', 1], ['authors', 0], ['series', 0], ['title', 0]]
none is equivalent to the naturalsort order of the DB (I believe {id})
Anything done that affects the overall Library (like a repair-rebuild) can result in a new ID. Date remains as the dater the entry was made initially (unless tampered with)

Read as a sort make little sense with the preceding sort. (#read can be a FILTER)
As a matter, your whole sort is odd. SORT is about arranging mutually Exclusive values, with levels, breaking ties.

Series has series_index to refine the order (title)
You can't sort by Title And Index. They usually are exclusive (Unless it was the Alphabet Murders. A was 1, Y was 25)

And using Authors as an Overall, also fails if your Library has shared universe type series.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
DVdm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...Read as a sort make little sense with the preceding sort. (#read can be a FILTER)
As a matter, your whole sort is odd...
Well, what I really want, is all the books that I have read, sorted by read date, most recent on top. All the other books, that I haven't read yet, I want below the read ones, sorted by author, then by series, and finally (the ones that a not part of a series), by title.
Makes perfect sense for me

Last edited by DVdm; 05-31-2023 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 05-31-2023, 01:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, what I really want, is all the books that I have read, sorted by read date, most recent on top. All the other books, that I haven't read yet, I want below the read ones, sorted by autor, then by series, and finally (the ones that a not part of a series), by title.
Makes perfect sense for me
Any of those are valid BY THEMSELVES
I have 2 VL (have Read and To Read) (they are filtered views)

I use tri-state fields: If {#read} is false, It is in the To Read VL (and the flip)
I can sort Have Read by date in {#read} (or any other way)
sorts have bias from previous sorts
You do things to establish the Bias before the final sort.
So, if I sort on have read, then by Author, those should list the AUTHORS books in finished order. Any other sort between those will risk disturbing the bias.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:26 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, I already use that.
to
I 'dodge the bullet' by using the optional View Manager (VM) plugin.

A few years ago, following some changes to VM, the built-in Date/timestamp(date) column injected itself into it's sort process - uninvited. The PI developer who made the changes offered an unconvincing explanation why it was so. As a consequence I didn't upgrade VM for a while.

I did tests every few months in calibre portable and after a couple of years it was fixed, I don't know if that was due to further changes to VM or changes in the calibre core.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:26 AM   #8
DVdm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
...A few years ago, following some changes to VM, the built-in Date/timestamp(date) column injected itself into it's sort process - uninvited.BR
I suspect it reinjected itself a few versions ago

Tags
sort date unwanted