Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
stutz
stutz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Prevent Calibre from embedding metadata in epub

I've been using Calibre to organize my library, and it's working quite well. However, I also sometimes use it to edit epubs, that I share with others. My problem is that it automatically embeds metadata into the file, which I have to manually remove before sending the epub to my recipient.
I don't mind it writing things like the author, the title, etc. but I don't want it to write my tags and custom columns, which are personal data and irrelevant outside my sorting system.
Is there a way to tell Calibre which columns to embed into the files, and which to keep private? I also would like it to not embed calibre-specific data, like the internal identifier, and the fact that it was edited by calibre.
stutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not really.
In the Editor, you can stop it from doing some (what is in the Library view).
Edit:Preferences:Integration with Calibre (side):remove the Update Metadata... tick

This does not stop the editor logging the session.
Why would you care if it made notes?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Under calibre integration in the editor settings turn off updating metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:24 AM   #4
stutz
stutz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Would it be possible to add the editor settings as an entry in the main calibre settings? It would be less confusing that way, imo.
stutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:53 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutz View Post
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Would it be possible to add the editor settings as an entry in the main calibre settings? It would be less confusing that way, imo.
The calibre editor and the viewer are separate programs that can be used independently of the library manager, hence they have their own preference settings.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-20-2023 at 08:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2023, 06:56 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is how to set Calibre to not update the metadata when Saving to disk, using the viewer, and using the editor

Saving books to disk
Preferences > Saving books to disk
Uncheck Update metadata in saved copies

Viewer
Preferences > Miscellaneous
Uncheck Keep a copy of annotations/bookmarks in the e-book file , for easy sharing

Editor (this only works for ePub)
Load an ePub in the editor
Edit > Preferences > Integration with calibre
Uncheck metadata in the book when opening
Exit the editor without saving the eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, metadata