Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 05-13-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
pootytang
pootytang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Reader

For a couple of months unable to launch reader. Error is Qt WebEngine Render process has crashed. Reader had worked for years, until now.

I've rebooted, and tried reinstalling to a different local drive without any success. I also updated versions. I have searched around and while there are a few messages on this, I have not be able to decipher the limited suggestions.

Any one have a clear course of action?

Thanks

Pooty
pootytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is caused by incompatibilities between Qt WebEngine (used by the viewer and editor) and the graphics drivers
on your system. Try updating the graphics drivers, if that does not work, you can try disabling hardware acceleration
by setting the environment variable QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2023, 11:33 PM   #3
pootytang

Calibre Reader

Thanks very much for the reply. After searching for how to do what you advised, I am getting the following error message when trying to set the envir0nmental variable: "A path component can't contain any control characters nor any of the following:/*<>|

I was trying to add to either the Calibre path, or as a new item:
QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" in Win 11 Environmental Variables.

I deleted and installed current graphics drivers without any change.

Thanks

Pooty
Old 05-13-2023, 11:57 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootytang View Post
Thanks very much for the reply. After searching for how to do what you advised, I am getting the following error message when trying to set the envir0nmental variable: "A path component can't contain any control characters nor any of the following:/*<>|

I was trying to add to either the Calibre path, or as a new item:
QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" in Win 11 Environmental Variables.

I deleted and installed current graphics drivers without any change.

Thanks

Pooty
How did you attempt to enter the QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS environmental variable? A simple search in the search box for environment brings up a link to the Edit system environmental variables. After that, under system variables, enter QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS as the variable name and --disable-gpu as the variable value. Click OK a couple of times and you're done.

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	environmental_variable.png
Views:	103
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	201527  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #5
pootytang

Calibre Reader

I must be dense. Found what you have pointed me to and attached is a pic of the variable. Tried rebooting after change, yet still getting the Reader error pointing at QTWEBENGINE crashing. Here is variable and error message.

Thanks Much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-15 154535.png
Views:	72
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	201570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-15 154632.png
Views:	76
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	201571  
Advert
Old 05-15-2023, 10:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then your issue willl likely be some software interfering. Try rebooting in safe mode and see if the viewer works.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #7
pootytang

Calibre Reader

Thanks again.

I booted to safe mode (with networking) and got the same QTWEBENGINE error message. I assume this is some setting or corruption in my Win 11 install?

The reader is not critical to me as I use it only to have a quick peek of a new book that I'm not yet ready to read in full. Is there an alternative to have Calibre start a 3rd party reader when double clicking on a book in my library? I know I can have Calibre pop open file explorer and execute a different reader that way. I guess I'm more curious about my issue since the reader worked for years, and wonder what I changed to cause this.

Thanks again

Pooty
Old 05-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootytang View Post
Is there an alternative to have Calibre start a 3rd party reader when double clicking on a book in my library?
Uncheck the format in the Preferences->Behaviour->Use calibre viewer for: list.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:33 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah its most likely something off in your install. you can try running

calibre-debug -w

in a command prompt to start the viewer in deug mode, it might give us more info though if the problem is in Qt WebEngine, it probably wont.