Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
manotroll
manotroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
converter for OCR from images

I have some books that the publisher in my country does not sell in digital format and I would like to convert them to use on kindle
I have the advantage of increasing the size of the text I can read at night with its own light and the book is 98% text.
but I did not find a way to do this in caliber does it support this feature?
manotroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No calibre does not have any OCR capabilities.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #3
manotroll
manotroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
and there is no possibility of having this support in the future?
manotroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is open source anyone can contribute code to it. I will say this is not on my horizon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:01 AM   #5
feuille
Connoisseur
feuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enough

Device: android smartphone + tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by manotroll View Post
and there is no possibility of having this support in the future?
I'm currently working on a GUI plugin that adds a text layer to the PDF format for a selected book. I will publish it in the next few days.
feuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
However I think text from PDF images via OCR is a workflow best done before the final version is added to the Library. It's not conversion in the sense mobi, azw3, epub etc to each other are. It needs human proofing and editing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:07 AM   #7
feuille
Connoisseur
feuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enough

Device: android smartphone + tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
However I think text from PDF images via OCR is a workflow best done before the final version is added to the Library.
Agreed when it comes to creating a new format from a scan. I do it so, too.
In my use case, however, it is about adding a text layer to a PDF whose layout should not be changed, for example to enable full-text search (FTS) and text extraction.
In my experience, with a good scan and the correct configuration of the OCR software (Tesseract), the recognition errors are relatively small and hardly affect the FTS. If you copy a piece of text for a quote, you can easily check it against the original layout. Also, before writing the text layer, I plan to offer the scan result in a text editor, with the possibility of proofreading.
feuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:49 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My experience of unproofed OCR text layer is the Internet Archive. Indeed it's only any use for text search and not great for that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:08 AM   #9
mvivar
mvivar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have recently converted a pdf non text just image into an epub. It took me a couple of hours to convert it into text.
There are some ocr softwares very accurate, but the one I had less errors was the one of google drive.
Make sure your pdf do not exceed 2 mb. You can split it.
Upload the files to google drive.
Right button, open with google docs.
And done.
Then you can download it as txt, or docx, etc... and convert it into epub.
Good luck!
mvivar is offline   Reply With Quote