Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-09-2023, 09:36 PM   #16
whigbee90
whigbee90 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
For what it's worth, I have the same problem after upgrading to 6.12. I've spent an hour and half today searching all over the web for a solution. Nothing has worked. I'm now going to attempt to go back to 6.11.

Regardless, K.G. thanks for creating Calibre.
whigbee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:46 PM   #17
whigbee90
whigbee90 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Reverting to 6.11 got rid of the font problem of rough, damaged low-rez look.
whigbee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2023, 02:10 AM   #18
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast
miss_p1nky began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro
Thank you!! Finally someone else. I thought I was the only one here and I must be crazy.
Thing is you fixed a bug in 6.12, but I guess I'd donwgrade to 6.11.
miss_p1nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:08 AM   #19
titoCA321
titoCA321 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel
I too am experiencing this problem with update version 6.12.
titoCA321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:36 AM   #20
titoCA321
titoCA321 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel
In Calibre Viewer setting if "Remember last used window size and position" option is unchecked the font appears fine and does not suffer from low resolution.
titoCA321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2023, 04:45 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by titoCA321 View Post
In Calibre Viewer setting if "Remember last used window size and position" option is unchecked the font appears fine and does not suffer from low resolution.
text rendering is unaffected for me with that checked or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #22
feuille
Connoisseur
feuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enough

Device: android smartphone + tablet
Bad Font Resolution in Viewer

Hello,
I can confirm the issue, not only in text, but also in viewer menu (see screenshots). If I increase the viewer window manually, the text looks ok.
In an earlier update (don't know which), I had the same issue and that was vanished with the next update.
I use Win10 with 125% resolution and 1920x1200 pixels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-10_15h40_54.png
Views:	88
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	199614   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-10_15h44_21.png
Views:	69
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	199615  
feuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:37 AM   #23
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast
miss_p1nky began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuille View Post
Hello,
I can confirm the issue, not only in text, but also in viewer menu (see screenshots). If I increase the viewer window manually, the text looks ok.
In an earlier update (don't know which), I had the same issue and that was vanished with the next update.
I use Win10 with 125% resolution and 1920x1200 pixels.
Ooh yes, I also have custom resolution scaling at 125%.
miss_p1nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then it will be a regression in Qt WebEngine with Qt 6.4 when using scaling. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future Qt release.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #25
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I hadn't noticed when I first saw this thread, but now I see I get the same.

Found it interesting that, after shaking the viewer window, to minimize other programs (the so-called Aero Shake), Viewer UI general blurring goes away.

Before Aero Shake:

Name:	MWSnap0079 2023-02-10, 15_19_48.png
Views:	90
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	199627

Name:	MWSnap0080 2023-02-10, 15_20_12.png
Views:	78
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	199626

After:

Name:	MWSnap0081 2023-02-10, 15_20_22.png
Views:	84
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	199625

Name:	MWSnap0082 2023-02-10, 15_20_34.png
Views:	75
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	199624
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:54 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont need to use aero shake, just resize the viewers text area slightly once. Basically, as far as I can tell this is an issue caused by Qt WebEngine sometimes failing to resize the OpenGL surface it renders to, which means what it renders is rescaled on the GPU causing blurry fonts.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It doesnt reproduce for me on Windows 11 with scaling set to 125, 150 or 175 with or without remember last window size checked.

Without being able to reproduce there isnt much I can do to workaround the Qt issue. I suggest staying with 6.11 or you can workaround it by just resizing the text area/window slightly once after initial startup.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:17 PM   #28
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont need to use aero shake, just resize the viewers text area slightly once. Basically, as far as I can tell this is an issue caused by Qt WebEngine sometimes failing to resize the OpenGL surface it renders to, which means what it renders is rescaled on the GPU causing blurry fonts.
True. Sometimes even moving the window around will somehow make this Qt glitch go away... thank you.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #29
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Can confirm the issue is with 6.12 and is resolved when reverting to 6.11. My PC is running Win10 Home 22H2 fully updated. Display scaling is 100%. I'll leave it here until I upgrade to Win11 (but I'll check my other PC running Win11 with 6.12 later this evening and report back).
Thanks to all for the dialog.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:37 PM   #30
Comfy.n

Just for the record, I'm using Win 10 1909