Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
In Calibre, I have a custom #kobocoll column populated from a template (not composite, though; I like to be able to make tweaks when needed).
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 PM   #17
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Reducing the number of collections didn't help. With the battery above 50%, I get my "normal" ~10% battery loss per hour. At about the 50% mark, I can watch the electrons spill out of the device and puddle on the ground. I read for half an hour and lost 30%. Right now, I've pulled up the battery indicator and am watching it decrease roughly 1% a minute. Oh, well. Time for some kind of new device.

EDIT: seconds after I finished the above, the battery went to 11%. Moments later, the 10% "charge your battery" warning came up. Almost instantly, the device shut down.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 01-24-2023 at 07:48 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2023, 10:53 PM   #18
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I had to do a factory reset to fix my sudden drain issues. I suspect it was trying to constantly sync or index a file, which caused issues. I've noticed it happens more with sideloaded ePub or CBZ files.

Keeping the number of non-Kobo files to a minimum seems to be helping avoid this for me and my Forma. I suspect that it's a badly coded ePub or something else causing the Forma to hang while sorting its DB.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 01:29 PM   #19
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
I am having the same drain issue, and I keep at the most 20 books on the device. It is also freezing up on me, and the only way to get it to wake up is to plug it into the computer and do a power+page turn reset. Disappointed in the Forma. It has the worst power button in existence, and now this. Probably my last Kobo.
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've over 4000 ebooks on my Kobo Sage, most are PD, about 30 our own copyright, 1 bought from Kobo and some bought elsewhere. Battery life is fine, though not as brilliant other Kobos.

Granddaughter has over 1000 PD ebooks on a Nia.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2023, 06:27 PM   #21
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just had a similar experience with my Libra. I opened it to start reading, and the battery was at 30%, which is about where it was yesterday. After a few minutes of reading, I got the "low battery" alert, and the meter said 8%. I plugged it in, and after 20 minutes of charging, it's magically back to 46%. The battery meter is just picking random values to display, I guess. It doesn't seem to have any idea how battery voltage correlates to remaining capacity.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
I think it has happened too many times on Mobileread to be a coincidence. I have had it with firmware 4.34 & 4.35. I refuse to do a factory reset again as it seems to be random.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:12 AM   #23
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
I think it has happened too many times on Mobileread to be a coincidence. I have had it with firmware 4.34 & 4.35. I refuse to do a factory reset again as it seems to be random.

Using Calibre, you can make a backup of your database, then attempt a factory reset to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, you can restore the database.

You can also pop open your Kobo, pull out the internal SD card, then mount it on your computer to create a full backup image of the entire Kobo SD card, including the hidden partitions that don't mount when you plug your Kobo into your computer. Then you could experiment with the factory reset and restore things from your backup image exactly as if you had never reset.

For me, the basic factory reset fixed this problem. Hasn't returned in months. Reimporting all my sideloaded books and reorganizing the collections was a pain, but not as much of a pain as my Clara HD being dead every time I went to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:59 AM   #24
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
You can also pop open your Kobo, pull out the internal SD card, then mount it on your computer to create a full backup image of the entire Kobo SD card, including the hidden partitions that don't mount when you plug your Kobo into your computer. Then you could experiment with the factory reset and restore things from your backup image exactly as if you had never reset.
Awesome did not know this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
For me, the basic factory reset fixed this problem. Hasn't returned in months. Reimporting all my sideloaded books and reorganizing the collections was a pain, but not as much of a pain as my Clara HD being dead every time I went to use it.
I do use Calibre. But I might be the only person on this forum that could not care less about reimporting books and collections etc. Just have to wait for the synch...
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #25
jblokzijl
jblokzijl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think Kobo shipped a bunch of Forma's with defective batteries. I had the same problem, and after much debating, Kobo replaced mine under warranty, and the new one is steady as a rock!
jblokzijl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #26
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
I've had 2 different issues with battery drain on my Forma. The first was caused by the Kobo sleep cover. When I switched to a 3rd-party cover, the problem went away.

The second issue occurred some time later and was very much like yours; the battery suddenly began draining rapidly. A manual reset fixed the issue and now it's back to about 14 hours.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:46 PM   #27
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
I had the same issue with my Forma - sudden battery drains. Same cover as I've used for a year. Then it started freezing up, and would only "wake" on the computer. Then it froze solid in sleep mode and nothing will wake it.
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:22 AM   #28
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
I've had 2 different issues with battery drain on my Forma. The first was caused by the Kobo sleep cover. When I switched to a 3rd-party cover, the problem went away.
I also had a battery drain from sleep cover issue with my Libra 2. I found a suggestion that I add a strip of 8-folded aluminum foil between the back of the reader and the inside of the case, at the spot where the sleep/wake magnet is located. That solved the issue.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:09 AM   #29
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchomigo View Post
I had the same issue with my Forma - sudden battery drains. Same cover as I've used for a year. Then it started freezing up, and would only "wake" on the computer. Then it froze solid in sleep mode and nothing will wake it.

That sounds like much more than a battery draining issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #30
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I have the same problem with my 32 gb Forma (the 8 gb one is fine). The battery drain is terrible. It goes to sleep and I can only wake it by plugging it in. So I thought I would set it to power off after 10 minutes to save battery power. It was at 91% battery when it turned off. Today I tried to turn it on and nothing until I plugged it in and it came on - and the battery was down to 0. It is now plugged in and hopefully charging. I'm not sure as it won't wake up from sleep mode. I got this as a refurbished unit just over a year ago and it has been nothing but headaches. And just to say - I don't do collections and there are about 80 books on it. I'm going to try one more factory reset on it and if there is no improvement, it's going to go to the electronics recycle place!
That said, I love my older Forma and my Sage. And my Libra. And my Glo HD! LOL
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote