Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Scrivener currently on sale ($30)

I'm wondering how well it works under Wine? Does anyone here use it? (Not just on Wine in Linux, but on Windows or Mac.)

https://stacksocial.com/sales/scrivener-3-for-windows

I don't know how long the sale (or promo) will last.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
IMO it's pointless compared to MS Word or LO Writer, and Writer works natively on Mac, Windows and Linux. Does outlining and everything needed to write, create PDFs or epub (via extra Save As docx and Calibre or Sigil).

Use Notepad++ (works also on WINE, but KATE is better on Linux) and a spreadsheet for other resources.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
IMO it's pointless compared to MS Word or LO Writer, and Writer works natively on Mac, Windows and Linux. Does outlining and everything needed to write, create PDFs or epub (via extra Save As docx and Calibre or Sigil).

Use Notepad++ (works also on WINE, but KATE is better on Linux) and a spreadsheet for other resources.
I don't particularly like LibreOffice (don't like Word at all) and I've tried various Notepad++ clones, and didn't stick with them either — so I'm guessing I probably wouldn't really use Scrivener. (I would probably enjoy tinkering with it and that's about it.) Never did like spreadsheets, preferred to use databases (dBase) when I still needed them.

I do know, however, that a lot of people love Scrivener.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't use Scrivener, but I looked it over in some depth several years ago and understand why some people love it. I do think it is one of the better offerings of its type available. It's not just a pretty face, but offers some very useful features.

No, I'm not affiliated, it's just that the review process, aided by their excellent interactive tutorial, left a lasting impression. There are very few products that do that.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:31 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Choice is good and Scrivener does seem to fit a niche in the market.

A database needs a lot of data to be worthwhile expending the thought on design and time on implementation. But for any large amount of releated data it's better than a spreadsheet. Not used dBase in decades. I used MS SQL and then "free" MSDE (cut down MS SQL with no tools) via ODBC and VB6. I've used mediawiki running locally but abandoned it, it's handy for authors writing separate books in same series or collaborating on a single book. I had a mirror copy online behind a site password so people accessing the URL wouldn't even know it was a wiki.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-20-2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I own and use it, but I'm now doing (and did) the majority of my current writing using Highland 2, especially on my Novella-in-Flash that I completed a few months ago. I created a thread on this novella that dealt with cover issues/questions/suggestions. I'll be getting back to that thread at the end of May or the beginning of June.

However, I also own both the Freewrite Traveler and the Freewrite Smart Typewriter (the older Gen. 2). I'm currently using the Freewrite Traveler for two unrelated projects. (Although for the past few months, I've been dong a huge amount of reading.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-21-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Jota on Android and Advanced Notebooks on my Sage is sort of my equivalent to the Freewrite.

I had the loan of an Epson HX20 for a while in 1981 or 1982.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epson_HX-20
I'd have used it for writing if I could have afforded it. More useful in a way than the Apple II I had in the office for just writing. Nicer keyboard!
Old 05-22-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
I started using Scrivener for Windows last fall. I find it kind of fun to use and good for organizing the material in a long form document. Word has outline view, but I've always found it complicated or I've never learned how to do it properly. Word is essential, though, since manuscripts are pretty much exclusively edited in Word. Fortunately, Scrivener documents can be converted to Word without too much difficulty. Interesting that Scrivener is having a sale. For anyone who wants to try it out, $30 would be a good buy.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote