Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #106
Trimbuk2
Trimbuk2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2007, Android(Huawei)
Hello!

I am a Calibre Companion user, I discovered this post yesterday and since Ccompanion is openly abandoned I ventured to buy this app (android) a moment ago I did the sync with calibre from my pc (Windows).

Does anyone know if it is possible for Calibre Sync to retrieve the books I already had synced with Calibre Companion?
I've been looking for the option since yesterday, but surely if it exists, I have it in front of me, and I'm not seeing it.

Has anyone managed to keep the folder structure (multilevel) ? currently this is the one I'm using

{first_author:%1.1s}/{first_author}/{title} - {authors} {id}
Trimbuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:02 PM   #107
Glsparks2
Glsparks2 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S23 Ultra
SyncThing

Former Calibre Companion user here. I have been using Calibre Sync since the demise of the Companion.

I upgraded my phone to Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra. This is my first Samsung phone without an SD card. While I have Dropbox and One Drive accounts, I prefer to have my library loaded into phone memory.

I have set up SyncThing on my phone and Windows 10 PC to keep my Calibre Library folder on PC and phone in sync. It works great!

Changes to the Calibre library on PC are reflected in seconds on the phone memory. Refreshing the library within Calibre Sync is fast.

All of this is much faster than anything I ever did with Calibre Companion.
Glsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:23 AM   #108
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glsparks2 View Post
Former Calibre Companion user here. I have been using Calibre Sync since the demise of the Companion.

I upgraded my phone to Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra. This is my first Samsung phone without an SD card. While I have Dropbox and One Drive accounts, I prefer to have my library loaded into phone memory.

I have set up SyncThing on my phone and Windows 10 PC to keep my Calibre Library folder on PC and phone in sync. It works great!

Changes to the Calibre library on PC are reflected in seconds on the phone memory. Refreshing the library within Calibre Sync is fast.

All of this is much faster than anything I ever did with Calibre Companion.
do you sync back 'read/unread' status and dateRead field?
How?
This is one of major things I still use Calibre Companion.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:23 PM   #109
Glsparks2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
do you sync back 'read/unread' status and dateRead field?
How?
This is one of major things I still use Calibre Companion.
No, sorry, I do not use those things.

All I do is do a one way sync from PC to Phone of the Calibre Library including the metadata file. I do not change things on the phone to sync back to the PC.

If I don't remember reading something, then it is new to me! Best wishes.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:29 AM   #110
bob.f
Connoisseur
bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: N/A
Hi,

Anyone successfully contacted the dev recently? All of my emails to them have gone unanswered. Am wondering if the app is still supported.
bob.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:04 AM   #111
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I emailed them and posted here 2 months ago without response.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #112
ackomb
Zealot
ackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura about

Device: i-pad
My last contact dates from Dec. 25th after reporting on Dec. 17th.
Error report from March 9 has been unanswered.
ackomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #113
Ryune
Enthusiast
Ryune began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, IPhone, Oasis 2
So, I've been using Calibre Companion for years on my Boox device. I'll be frank, the program is kind of crap at this point. Does Calibre Sync have a light weight mode for epaper displays?

For those of you who use FanFicFare, how does it handle updating serials? Can I set it so that it automatically sets read status back to unread if a book gets updated?

Is there any integration with KOreader to allow for reading things like percentage of book read and page number?

How does it function if I have it on two separate devices like my boox and phone?
Ryune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:10 PM   #114
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Personally, I switched back to Calibre Companion for my Android phone. Calibre Sync doesn't fit the 'treat it like a device' paradigm I'm used to and I don't want to put my library on a cloud service.

And the Calibre Sync developer doesn't appear be very responsive anymore, but google store does show the app was updated a week ago May 14, 2023.

FanFicFare has options for setting custom columns in your library. For a basic boolean 'Read' custom column, the custom_columns_settings is likely best. Something like:
Code:
custom_columns_settings:
 "False"->#my_read_column
Please ask in the FFF thread if you want more FFF help.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:31 PM   #115
xiaojohn
Enthusiast
xiaojohn began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke5, Boox MaxLumi and Boox Tab Ultra C
Slow sync and content server issues

I have been using Calibre Sync for a few months now on my Android phone, after being a long time user of Calibre Companion. I find it very good, with a couple of qualms.

Firstly, I have a big library and it is understandable that the original sync took quite a while. However, I find that every re-sync also takes time, even if there is only one or two new books. Note - I only use CS as a catalogue. I don't download the books themselves. Do others have this issue, or is there a setting I haven't found that tells it to only sync items added in the past xxx days?

And secondly, my content server address in Calibre changes its last digit every couple of days ( y as in xxx.xxx.xx.y, port 8080). I know this is a Calibre matter, but I didn't experience it before I started using CS. It means I have to go into CS's settings every few days to change the address. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is there a setting in Calibre that would allow me to stop it changing the address?

Thanks.
xiaojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:32 PM   #116
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
None of the above.
Your router assigns IP's to your PC via DHCP
If you have admin rights to your router, you can 'Reserve' one of those IP's in the DHCP block. This is neede if you PC is used elsewhere (laptop).

If it is a Desktop that is always in the same location (same network), then you can use the Network configuration to assign it a Static IP (outside the routers DHCP block. That size is also in the routers config.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:29 AM   #117
xiaojohn
Enthusiast
xiaojohn began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke5, Boox MaxLumi and Boox Tab Ultra C
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
None of the above.
Your router assigns IP's to your PC via DHCP
If you have admin rights to your router, you can 'Reserve' one of those IP's in the DHCP block. This is neede if you PC is used elsewhere (laptop).

If it is a Desktop that is always in the same location (same network), then you can use the Network configuration to assign it a Static IP (outside the routers DHCP block. That size is also in the routers config.)
Oh, I have for so long wanted never to delve into router settings - they make me feel small and stupid. But I bit the bullet, did what you said, and it seems to work. Thanks for your help.
xiaojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:13 PM   #118
Glsparks2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Personally, I switched back to Calibre Companion for my Android phone. Calibre Sync doesn't fit the 'treat it like a device' paradigm I'm used to and I don't want to put my library on a cloud service.

And the Calibre Sync developer doesn't appear be very responsive anymore, but google store does show the app was updated a week ago May 14, 2023.

FanFicFare has options for setting custom columns in your library. For a basic boolean 'Read' custom column, the custom_columns_settings is likely best. Something like:
Code:
custom_columns_settings:
 "False"->#my_read_column
Please ask in the FFF thread if you want more FFF help.
I have communicated with the developer via feedback feature in Google Play store. they were very responsive.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:05 PM   #119
se1961
se1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Hi all!

I just purchased Calibre Sync through the iOS App Store, and I am THRILLED!! I have literally been looking for this app for ten years ! Sadly, there is not much documentation, so I have gotten pretty stuck when trying to update the Read/Unread status from the app to Calibre.

As instructed on the website I created a custom column in Calibre. But there were no instructions on how exactly to set up that column, so I experimented, and made it a “choice” type column with Read as one and blank as another. When I first set up Calibre Sync, it allowed me to choose that column to sync the read/unread status. The sync didn’t work— or rather, I was able to sync a “read” value from Calibre to Calibre Sync, but it was a custom column value, not at all connected to the “read” status in Calibre Sync.

I then discovered that it is not possible to edit a custom column in Calibre. I had to delete the column and start again. So I did so, and created a new tag-type column. When I went to connect that column to Calibre Sync, I saw that there was no longer an option to choose the column I wanted to use for the sync process. I forged ahead, since I was using the same name, hoping that Calibre Sync remembered that original value.

I have since created multiple custom column types using the same column name as the original name I selected. I have tried yes/no, tag type, tag with restricted options and none of them are syncing to the Calibre Sync read/unread status.

Does anybody know how to set up the read/unread sync (with date read if possible)?

Shelley
se1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 12:04 AM   #120
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I'm not sure what you mean by "choice" type column, but it sounds like a boolean column (yes/no column). If not, just recreate a boolean column in Calibre.

Then, according to the FAQ, resync the library and only then the read status (CalibreSync must first accept the new column).

Long story short, just as it says in the FAQ - works like a charm

Last edited by Wiggo; 08-09-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mobile, sync