Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 03-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
KFB
KFB began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Large pdf file bottleneck?

Hi, in addition to using it with my calibre library of ePubs, I've been recently been using the viewer to read some rather large pdf files outside of the library. It takes the viewer some time to load these files. Is this a processor or a memory limitation? I will update computer to accommodate, but I'm not sure what the bottleneck is, Thanks for any insights!
KFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The viewer is really EPUB. It is doing a behind the scenes convert.
Why not use a PDF Viewer?

Preferences: Behavior : (right side) Use Internal Viewer for:
Remove the tick to allow the OS (registered) viewer to be used.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
KFB
KFB began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The viewer is really EPUB. It is doing a behind the scenes convert.
Why not use a PDF Viewer?

Preferences: Behavior : (right side) Use Internal Viewer for:
Remove the tick to allow the OS (registered) viewer to be used.
I really like the way the calibre viewer scales the pdf pages on different screens automatically, I haven't seen that in pdf viewers. I also really like the way it transitions from one page to the next.

I have tried to use caliber to convert pdfs to EPUB, which does significantly reduce their size (I don't know why), but those EPUB files (based on pdf pages) load just as slowly.
KFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The first time you open a book it will be slow, as the viewer has to parse the entire book to change somethings to make them suitable for viewing. Subsequent opens will be faster.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memory, pdf, processor, viewer