Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
samu
samu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E reader
Sony prs500 not seen by Windows/Calibre

Calibre can't see my Sony prs500 *On Mac or Windows. After reading the sticky and FAQ :

1, I have run Calibre and the Sony software at the same time. Neither was able to see the device. I read in the FAQ I should delete the media.xml file using explorer but...

2, as noted in the sticky, after checking, Windows explorer doesn't show the reader as a disk when I plug it in.

I have uninstalled the Sony and Calibre Software and then reinstalled the latest version of Calibre but still no dice.

I just got a Macbook air and Calibre cant see my book there either...

Does the Sony software have to be installed in the background perhaps?

Advice?

Last edited by samu; 06-26-2011 at 03:08 AM.
samu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Sony PRS-500 is no longer supported by Calibre as a device it can recognise unless it has had the upgrade to support epub format.

I think the last version that supported the PRS-500 was something like 0.6.29. Searching the forum should give a more definitve answer.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you trying to get it working on a PC it's worked on before or has it never worked on this PC? Has the device had the ePub update or is it still setup for LRF/X files? IIRC the 500 needed a special USB driver, has that been installed on the machine in question?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had this happen with my PRS 600 several times
Not sure why.
Several thing I have done and not sure which helped as it has been a while.
Turned computer completely off then restarted.
hard reset of PRS 600
Used different port

Maybe had to do both several times.
Unplugged all other USB devices.

Could also be a cable problem.
Also running Windows in safe mode may have helped.

Sorry I cannot remember exact sequence, process that worked.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has your 500 been updated to handle ePub? If not, it will never work with a MAC nor will it ever work with a 64-bit Windows as it will need a32-bit Windows only driver to actually talk to it.

If you have not upgraded your 500 to handle ePub, contact Sony and find out about doing so. It's the only way your 500 will still be usable. After the upgrade to ePub, the 500 will show up as a removable drive..
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The Sony PRS-500 is no longer supported by Calibre as a device it can recognise unless it has had the upgrade to support epub format.

I think the last version that supported the PRS-500 was something like 0.6.29. Searching the forum should give a more definitve answer.
Not trying to resurrect an old thread, but if Google leads someone here they might want to know:

Calibre 0.6.55 was the last one to support the PRS 500.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
spongya77
spongya77 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Well, I do want to resurrect the topic

I'm trying to connect the 500 to a Win7 system... and failing.

Should I take it to a SONY store to have it updated? I really need help with this thing...

Thank you
spongya77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will not detect an -upgraded prs 500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
spongya77
spongya77 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Thank you

The reader is not updated; I live in Hungary, so I can't really send it all over the US.

The new Calibre does not support it, the 6.29 version does not run on my system.
I used an older laptop with XP to install the 6.29, but that does not recognize the reader, either. (Neither does the computer; I can't see it in the explorer as an USB device.)

I did install the Calibre 500 drivers...

So I'm stuck.
spongya77 is offline   Reply With Quote