Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help! I seem to have lost my calibre library

This afternoon I added an ebook to my calibre library, and later searched for a similar ebook which was already in the library. I found that ebook and looked at it, and then wanted to go back to the display showing all the ebooks in the library. But I can't find that display - all I can see is the four ebooks found in the search.

How do I get back to the display showing all the ebooks in my library?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
just erase what's typed in to your searchbar and hit enter or click on the small x button at the end of the searchbar to return to your regular display.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Or just hit Escape

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
aah, I've been doing it the hard way! Thanks...
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them work.

Is 'the small x button at the end of the searchbar' the gear icon? I don't see any button that looks like an x. The button at the right end of the searchbar just gives me a list of books - or search headings I may have used.

If I hit enter with an empty searchbar the last ebook on the screen from the search is highlighted, but that's all. Pressing Esc does nothing.

I've installed the latest version of calibre, but still have no success.

PS Whereabouts on my Windows 10 hard drive are the ebooks stored? In simple words please; I'm not very good with computers. At least I could check whether the ebooks are still there.

Last edited by AlexBell; 09-29-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them work.

Is 'the small x button at the end of the searchbar' the gear icon? I don't see any button that looks like an x. The button at the right end of the searchbar just gives me a list of books - or search headings I may have used.

If I hit enter with an empty searchbar the last ebook on the screen from the search is highlighted, but that's all. Pressing Esc does nothing.

I've installed the latest version of calibre, but still have no success.
The back button only appears when there is a search term (green)
If there is no term, you may have selected a VL that has no members.
click the Virtual Library button on the left and select NONE
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:00 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. I clicked Virtual Library, and there was a green tick mark against <NONE>. I clicked on it anyway, but it made no difference.

Before I saw your posts I edited my last post to include a question about where calibre stores the ebooks in the library. It would be a great relief to know whether they are still available to me.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Click the Library Icon, select Create/Switch library,

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	166558

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks very much for all your help. The library is back!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None
AlexBell: glad to hear your library was always safe. I have experienced data loss (or corruption). Below are THIRTY-NINE words that have become the cornerstone of my personal + professional life. Heed my advice and you will have many more frequent nights of pleasant dreams............ here you go.....

<FREE-ADVICE>
backup, backup, backup, to a separate disk or ssd, not flash/usb/sdcard/etc, with raid 1 only (or no raid at all), and keep 14 days of backups on hand. Use the cloud if you are like okay with that philosophically.
</FREE-ADVICE>
wjBLqf-_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjBLqf-_9 View Post
<FREE-ADVICE>
backup, backup, backup, to a separate disk or ssd, not flash/usb/sdcard/etc, with raid 1 only (or no raid at all), and keep 14 days of backups on hand. Use the cloud if you are like okay with that philosophically.
</FREE-ADVICE>
Personally, I would recommend backing up to multiple media types including USB flash drives, SD cards and optical media if practical. The more backup locations and media one uses, the greater the chances for data recovery.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
<FREE-ADVICE>backup, backup, backup,...
I will add: Don’t wait until you have suffered a data loss to test the restore procedure or you may have an unpleasant surprise.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
AlexBell: glad to hear your library was always safe. I have experienced data loss (or corruption). Below are THIRTY-NINE words that have become the cornerstone of my personal + professional life. Heed my advice and you will have many more frequent nights of pleasant dreams............ here you go.....

<FREE-ADVICE>
</FREE-ADVICE>
Dumb question, but I thought SSD drives were basic flash storage, too, just configured differently.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Dumb question, but I thought SSD drives were basic flash storage, too, just configured differently.
Well, apart from advanced controllers that can handle more complex wear leveling and caching, NAND flash chips used in SSDs also tend to be more cherry picked compared to ones used in flash drives and SD cards.

For example, when Samsung first released TLC NAND based SSDs, they were rated for ~1000 P/E cycles and stress testing showed actual endurance of ~3000 P/E cycles. Meanwhile, you'd likely only get 500-1000 P/E cycles on TLC NAND flash drives.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks for the info, ilovejedd. I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but isn't one of the problems with flash that when it dies, it ALL dies. No second chances or last minute saves? Whereas with standard harddrives, sometimes it's just a bad sector and you still can access most of your stuff, or hinky hardware can still be gotten around to pull the data off if necessary?

I've been MEANING to set up a raid-style backup for years, but every time I start reading up on it, I just end up frustrated and confused. Too much jargon in whatever I've found to describe what you're doing. It always makes me laugh - at work I'm the "resident (amateur) techie". But I know what I know, and hardware isn't one of the things I know much about.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote